Wyze Sense Contact Sensor Always Open

Hi

I have the same issue
My ticket number is 357560

Thanks for looking in to this one

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know! Sorry about the trouble. I checked on your ticket and it looks like the team already has you covered.

2 Likes

Well here is an other person with similar problems. One of my sensor showing always open and the other one offline :rage:

1 Like

I have the same problem. I have 2 door sensors which sometimes work but are both now stuck on “open”.
Also, the notifications take hours to come through so I was hours away from home when the app informed me that the sensor was open. I had to go to great lengths to find out that the door was actually shut. The 2nd sensor suddenly showed open hours later with no one being at home.

Looks just like mine!

Has this issue ever been resolved? It is May 2020… i have the same problem as so many other people my sensors stop logging changes

Uggggg, same issue, sometimes it works, some times it doesn’t. Going back to SmartThings and Zigbee/zWave…

Don’t think we’ll get an answer. Sometimes you get what you pay for. This thread is proof positive Wyze products aren’t meant to be taken seriously. I’m moving on this kind of instability is insane,the kind that kills a product line.

After almost 3 months I am having this problem on one out of 6 contact sensors. Since the other 5 are working I don’t think it is a bridge problem. This contact sensor is one of the closest to the bridge cam.
Late yesterday it was showing open even though the door is closed. I opened the door, the led blinks it shows open in the log and notifies. When I close the door the led blinks but it doesn’t show closed. Open / close the door again same thing. Didn’t have much time to debug last night.
This morning this sensor showed offline. I just went and open the door the led blinked and it came back on line and showed open but same as before when I closed the door the led blinks but does not show closed.
I am guessing this is likely a bad contact sensor but since it blinks I’m not really sure.

I submitted log file 30573

Has anyone found a fix for this or just had to replace the sensor? Is there someone specifically at Wyze I should direct this too? How would I get a replacement sensor?

My Wyze system information
Beta android app v2.12.29 installed on a Pixel 3a phone.
Pan Cam 4.10.6.156
V2 Cam. 4.9.6.156
2x plugs 1.2.0.80
1 motion sensor
6 contact sensors
Bridge firmware 0.0.0.30, (but isn’t the latest but says up to date)
The original bridge I got that didn’t work has 0.0.0.33

I just got the bridge to update to 0.0.0.33 but the 1 contact sensor still has the same problem.

I noticed the signal for this sensor is much lower then all the others. Only 1 Bar, others have 2 or 3 bars. I’ll try removing from the door moving it closer to the bridge camera. See if signal gets better. Maybe change battery even though it shows normal.

edit to add more info…

Signal is a little better closer to the bridge. Still acted strange staying open most of the time even with magnet touching the sensor but I could bump it a little and get it to close occasionally. I think the micro switch inside might be marginal. Guess I need to contact support to get it replaced since it is only about 2 months old.

Just reviewing this topic, if what I post here is redundant, sorry.

The basic issue is that either the sensors don’t register open or closed in the app, and/or appear offline. The sensors also have a variety of other problems that can make figuring out what’s wrong pretty hard, here are some suggestions that might be helpful.

Wyze contact sensors use reed switches to detect open/closed. The magnet causes the switch to close when it’s brought into proximity. Reed switches are generally reliable, but can be stuck open or closed. We’ll get back to that in a minute.

When you first put a battery into a contact sensor, it should flash once. If it doesn’t do that with a fresh battery, the sensor is toast, contact Wyze for a replacement. If it does flash, then the sensor is working. Bring the magnet next to the sensor. it should flash. Move the magnet away, it should flash. If you don’t get flashes, it’s likely the reed switch is bad, contact Wyze for a replacement.

OK, it works, but it doesn’t register open and/or closed in the app, or the sensor shows up as offline. First thing to check is the bridge that’s plugged into the back of the cam. Is the LED in the bridge showing solid blue? If so, the bridge is working. Is it showing solid yellow? Your bridge isn’t booted. This can happen for a variety of reasons. First, verify that the camera’s LED is showing solid blue, and that the camera is operational in the app. If not, unplug the power to the camera, and plug it back in. If it doesn’t go solid blue, your camera is either croaked or needs to be added to the app again. I’ll leave you to figure that out.

OK, let’s say the camera LED is solid blue and it’s working in the app, but the bridge still shows solid yellow. Without removing the camera from the power, unplug the bridge, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. Wait until it’s solid blue. OK, you’re good now. Still solid yellow? You probably have a bad bridge, contact Wyze for a replacement.

OK, check the status of your sensors again. If they’re still not working, it’s time to try reconnecting them. Tap on one of the sensors in the app and delete it. Now, click the + add button and add the sensor back. Make sure you have the sensor within 10 feet of the bridge to avoid issues with poor wireless connectivity (you can move it back later). When the app shows the little animation of you pressing the button on the sensor, you should hear the camera say something like, “OK, Jack, the bridge is ready” or an equivalent. If you hear nothing, your bridge is probably bad, get Wyze to replace it. Otherwise, press in pin in to the hole in the side of the sensor for a few seconds. You should see three flashes. If you see no flashes, no matter how long you hold it, your sensor is bad, get Wyze to replace it. If you see 5 flashes, who knows? It may work, it may not. IMO, I’d get Wyze to replace it, even if it connects, because it’s supposed to flash only 3 times. OK, let’s say it flashed 3 times. Within about 30 seconds, you should hear the bridge say something like, “Wireless connection successful”. If you don’t hear this, and the app times out, your sensor is bad, get Wyze to replace it.

OK, let’s say it all worked and the sensor was detected and added back in. Now, while the sensor is still close to the bridge, bring the magnet next to it. Does it show closed? Good. Move it away. Open? Good. If it doesn’t do this, or still shows offline, your sensor is bad, get Wyze to replace it.

Now, move the senor to the location where you want it. Do the magnet thing again. Doing what you’d expect? Good, you’re done (mostly). No? It’s too far away. Either move the cam and bridge closer, or do the “antenna trick” (add a short wire to the sensor antenna), there’s a reference to this in the thread above, with a posting that shows you how to do this, it may help. Another solution is to get another cam and another bridge that you can move closer, and add the sensor to that new bridge and delete it from the other one. Click on the sensor in the app and look at the device information. If it shows only 1 bar, or zero, well, that could be the problem.

OK, you’re all done, right? Mostly. One more thing to check for is what I call the “blinking sensor” failure mode. I had three senors croak this way. What you see is that when everything looks good and working, and the sensor is just sitting there, about every 20 to 30 seconds, you see it flash. If so, in a couple weeks, it’ll suck the battery dead. Contact Wyze and get a replacement.

Hope this helped. IMO, these things are awfully compelling at $5 each, but Wyze has a long way to go before I’d consider them reliable and solid. Looks like we’re all the beta testers for this, so share what you learn as you go. Eventually, they’ll get it all to work.

1 Like

Thanks for your review of troubleshooting this. I have gone through all this.
The bridge is OK since 5 other contact sensors and 1 Motion sensor is working fine. All of the connecting and LED blinking are working as it should. it even blinks when closing

This one contact sensor is constantly reading open, it will occasionally show closed if I tap on it. It will notify open again whenever the door opens even though it already shows open, but not show closed when closed.

Bad reed switch. Wyze will replace it, just initiate a chat session.

Just got off of teh chat. They are sending a replacement contact sensor.

I was thinking a little more about a root cause of the reed switch going bad. The way I have the sensor mounted is on the door with the magnet on the door frame. Mounting it was easier that way. So the sensor part gets joseled every time the door closes. Could that prematurely damage the reed switch? I may find a way to change the sensor position on the frame side of the door.

It’s unlikely. Reed switches are generally good for anywhere from 100,000 to 10,000,000 cycles, and can handle pretty high g forces without damage. It was probably bad from the beginning.

You have to figure Wyze is using some really low cost components in these contact sensors, given the price point of $5 USD. The MCU alone in high quantities costs about $1.50. There are about 30 passive SMD devices (resistors and capacitors), clock crystal, LED, switch, PCB, antenna coil, coin cell battery, case, and adhesive foam. The PCB needs to be run through a pick-and-place tool to place all the components, then it’s wave soldered. The antenna and switch likely have to be hand soldered to the board, then the board has to be heat attached to the case.

All of those components and steps cost money, plus the costs of marketing, distribution, and support. IMO, it’s highly unlikely at $5 that Wyze is making ANY money off of these sensors, they’re more of a loss leader to get you to buy other things such as cameras, where they do make some money.

Since there is a replacement on the way I was playing around with this bad contact sensor. I noticed that using a stronger neodyne magnet will get it to show closed.

I got the replacement sensor today…

If you get a chance, when you have the back cover of the sensor off, tell me what the rev level and date code is. On the four that I have that failed, they are all v2.1 with a date code of 2020-01-01. The ones they sent me for replacements have a 2019 date code, I’ll need to open one to see what the rev level is. I have a suspicion that they know these 2020-01-01 units have a hardware issue. The new sensors they sent me have been working fine.

FWIW, three of the four failed 2020-01-01 sensors, after being let sit with no battery for two weeks, have zero flashes when a battery is inserted. The other one flashes twice, and is never seen by the bridge (as reported by others for sensors that flash twice when the battery is inserted).