Wyze is a Chinese Company ( Discussion Continued)

I would Agree to this…Middle quality sold at disposable prices.

3 Likes

What a coincidence, was just watching the beginning of the Stan & Ollie biopic on IMDBtv. Not bad.

1 Like

When they first came out they were fraught with problems not so much mechanical as they were software and firmware I think they’ve gone past that era and entered an era of a very capable camera. The company is still a little lax on communicating their intentions to the customer what they’ve come along ways and I think they have a place in the industry

1 Like

Here’s a question. Is the ‘cheap junk’ Chinese manufacturers are capable of producing sold within China to the Chinese? Or are the Chinese people offered only middle-grade and better quality in a controlled market?

I don’t know.

Wyze ‘private labels’ the Xiaomi camera, adds software and interoperability value and brands it Wyze for sale in the US.

Is anything of quality lower than a ‘Wyze’ offered to consumers in China’s internal market?

[emphases added]

So what if it is. I don’t care. Mashushu, what it is that you are so afraid of? All Tech companies around the world collect information from everyone. If you are worried about it, I would advise you to not using any technologies that are connecting to the Internet.

I appreciate this thread. It’s one of the most informative conversations I’ve found on this forum in regard to Wyze’s products and provides a a deeper look into its relationships. I’m of a mind that there’s never too much transparency when it comes to consumers’ interests. Conversely, it’s common and widely accepted practice for companies to “protect” their operating practices to the detriment of the public. (The worst examples of which might be Johnson & Johnson, the Sackler family and Dupont.). Those are only a few examples of why people have ample reason to question everything.

On the other hand, China is not exclusive in its invasive practices. I’ve worked for several US government agencies and have had firsthand experience with, at the very least, the lack of privacy people should expect here in the USA. The Patriot Act allows government agencies to demand private information on anyone they want from companies and other agencies with no oversight from the courts and no disclosure to the public. If you’re worried about China and not worried about our own government, you might be delusional or uninformed .

3 Likes

So in re ODM vs OEM, doesn’t it seem that Xiaomi is the OEM of the Wyze branded cams? I appreciate learning the distinctions between the two.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to be contrary but my mileage with the equipment and especially the firmware and software, the two factors most directly under Wyze’s control, suggests Wyze is selling DISPOSABLE quality sold at MIDDLING (or higher) prices when I consider performance and build quality vs new customer prices of cam + spotlight ($50) plus outdoor power adapter ($12) plus mounting kit ($4) plus Cam Plus for 1 year ($15) plus SD card ($9 for 32GB).

How is that significantly cheaper than Eufy or Lorex who offer wireless cams with all those features included and with reportedly better build quality, no strings attached and no subscriptions needed?

2 Likes

If no changes are made to the existing design then OEM.

If changes are made then ODM.

In any case the purchasing entity sticks their brand on it.

I think in some products (the cams, at least) Wyze contracts for design changes in subsequent ‘versions’ (V2, V3…) while the V1 may have been pure OEM.

Not my field, though, just playing it out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In fact, the app bundle of the app is com.hualei.WyzeCam