Wyze Cam Outdoor V3 (Battery Cam v2) Ideas

Good idea. That makes even more sense for an outdoor product like this than it does for a phone.

Several issues now that we are into colder weather that have prompted this wish list:

a) depending on the location of the outdoor cam, water drops will build up on the lens and blur the picture - would love suggestions for a superhydrophobic coating for the lens to keep water off, or coated at factory would be even better.

b) during days/nights of high humidity/low temperature/fog/ice fog formations, we’ve had the lens completely fog up on the outdoor cam. This doesn’t seem to affect the V.3 cams as much, as they may generate enough internal heat to keep the fog off. Due to battery life issues, an internal heater for the outcoor cam is probably not practical. So I think the best solution would be once again a superhydrophobic coating on the lens.

c) I’ve made a home-made “hood” to extend out over the lens to try to keep water drops from building up on the lens (see #a above). The cowboy hat that came with the pre-orders were cute, but something as functional, but less “cute or obtrusive” would be greatly desired.

d) these have been noted by others: 1) a solar charger/panel designed to work with the Outdoor cam to charge it; 2) a wireless method, such as used on cell phones, to charge the Outdoor cam so you don’t have to pop the little silicone plug in and out all the time.

Not sure if power consumption requirements would allow, but Color Night Vision like Wyze Cam v3 has would be awesome.

Currently WCO cameras with Cam Plus - the backup to base station feature in not supported. It would be nice to be able to back up these videos for local storage.

Lots of requests for solar charger here and elsewhere so just adding my $$$ to that feature. I haven’t gotten the Wyze outdoor cam because of the poor power solution today. I’ll spring for a few of those if at least one of these become reality

1. There’s a solar charging solution from Wyze. This should likely include a battery with the solar charger so the solar panel charges a battery which then charges the camera. Avoids changes on the camera, makes the solar panel easily usable for other devices.

2. Battery can be charged independent of the camera. Bringing the camera down for offline charging is a major flaw. How did Wyze product people overlook that? Do they not know how outdoor wireless cameras are used? Solar charger is nice but the min-bar is easy battery swap. You already have a base station. Why not include battery charging capability with that base? Even a separate charge station would be acceptable.

I am trying to install a Wyze cam outdoor on the side of my house that has plastic siding. I don’t know too much about siding and screws and that stuff but I do know that you need a much longer screw than the one included with the Wyze cam outdoor to put it on plastic siding because it won’t go into the wood past the siding. It would be nice if Wyze included different length screws in their outdoor cameras.

I have tried multiple hardware stores but none of them have a screw that will work with the Wyze cam outdoor base or that Is long enough. The opening for the had of the screw is so small that there are barely any screws that would work with it

This sort of thing will make your life a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XG17SPY/

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

It would be useful to be able to add the “spot light” attachment to the Outdoor Cam.

2 Likes

Since the base station and camera use wifi to communicate, there shouldn’t be any reason that I can’t have the camera connected directly to my own SSID. I get the argument that you want to provide a better quality of service, but that’s simply not true in some cases. Where my camera is located I see a better signal from my AP than the base station, even though the base station is closer and has line of sight through a window.

It should be possible to have the camera on your own SSID, and have it communicate to the base station over that network for other functions like saving videos to the base station.

I searched the forums but didn’t see anything similar in the wishlist or roadmap.

1 Like

I have owned my WCO for about 5 days and have noticed a one to two second latency before the Cam begins to record an event. While a one to two second delay might not sound like a lot, when it comes to events it could be significant. I believe the Cam is detecting the motion that triggers the event and that the latency is physically unavoidable. Is it possible to rewrite the code/algorithm to account for the mechanical latency and capture the one to two seconds of video before the event? Would this idea of rewriting the code to account for the lag become a situation of “continuous recording”? Would this idea even be feasible while still maintaining the efficiency of the battery? Thoughts?

1 Like

No. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t power up the image sensor until the motion detector triggers. As you observed this takes a while.

1 Like

Add the capability. Camera not worth the money spent if you can’t get full zone detection.

1 Like

After getting the wyze cam V3 and seeing the incredible improvement in outdoor low light situations… We really need a wyze cam outdoor with the starlight sensor… Please bring this to us! Especially being designed for outdoors, This is just a logical upgrade. I don’t even mind if the camera gets bigger in order to accommodate a larger battery.

1 Like

The V3 is also designed for outdoors. I wonder if Wyze will even bother with more battery powered cameras.

1 Like

Yes that’s true but especially for the demographic Wyze is targeting - I think battery powered cameras with the starlight sensor should be a must. The low price point means that many of the people buying these cameras can’t afford to run power to every location they want a camera (myself included). There were many homebrew solutions for this even before Wyze released them, such as putting the camera v2 in an enclosure with a battery pack. Kind of bad timing to release an outdoor camera that’s battery powered then so shortly after release another camera with MUCH better light sensitivity. Feels Like they could have included that in the outdoor camera if they had just held off for a bit.

1 Like

Option to add the outdoor temperature display to the video for the WCO. Additional displays: relative humidity; GPS location.

Please make the battery larger in outdoor cam to support up to 12 months or more similar to the Blink cameras.

Suggestion to put a temperature sensor into the WCO and add to the app to log temperature? Just a thought.

THANK YOU!!

After some power outages here, I noticed there’s a lack of recording even if I had put sd cards in them.

Since power outages are kind of a thing now I was wondering if this could either be a rule we could create (if base station dies enable travel mode), or a feature of the camera which requires an sd card be present in order to enable.

If this feature needs to go into a new WCO model I’m going to cry myself to sleep… On the plus side you’d sell more sd cards? :slight_smile:

1 Like