Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam Pan Firmware 4.X.6.156 Released - 7/28/20

Title of this thread should be Updated to include App update. Not just firmware.

So SD card wiped or disappeared fixed? in firmware.

The news update post for the app is here and was released a different day

1 Like

Firmware 4.9.6.156, WyzeCam V2: I have 10 cams in two locations. Appears transition to night vision now triggers an event with a very overexposed scene. In the first 1 second of the event clip, I see color image and then hear a click as it transitions to night vision.

Prior to this firmware update, I never saw events for night vision transition.

Things are (were) s-l-o-w-l-y getting back to normal. All but two of my devices eventually showed up. I had to add my band again, and my scale is still missing. My events eventually were restored (all days, two iOS devices) but are now missing again (both devices). My iPhone app has been updated, but under my account tab, it still shows no firmware updates available. I haven’t updated my iPad app (secondary device).

I still have no ‘playback’ button available on my primary device for all of my cams (six total) . Is anyone else missing their playback button or having some issues reappear?

FYI…my very first issue, having all my devices disappear, started late Tuesday night (7/28) before I even knew there was an app update. (I do not do auto updates).

Hi @J-anon6, @sodcam, @Masonfamily, when it happens it could be because the camera doesn’t recognize SD card instead of wiping data on the card. When it happens, can you submit a log to us via Account → Help&Feedback → Submit a log and let @TinaC know. Tina can collect the logs and pass to our devs. We will investigate and sorry for the trouble! Thanks!

2 Likes

@TinaC I wish it was fixed but it’s not. It looks like my account got wiped or something weird… it deleted app and redownloaded but that didn’t work.

I know my entire account didn’t get wiped because I still have order history on the app and I can see who has replied to comments in the app so I still have my account. Just no devices. It also still shows that my Cam Plus trial expires in 1 day which is correct. I just can’t see it.

This is very strange!

Update: After turned off my VPN it worked!! It’s very strange and I’m not sure why the VPN causes this but it does. At least for me. In these 2 pictures take a look at the top left of my screen. When I show no devices I hav my VPN turned on. When I have my devices I have it turned off.

@TinaC do you know why this happens?

2 Likes

What country did your VPN connect through?
I’ll try it to see if I get the same result.

I am in Canada. I tried US, UK and Brazil with no problems.
SurfShark VPN on an Android phone.

I have no idea… I live in the United States and use MacAfee.

Is the VPN on your phone or your home Internet?

location tracking geo?

On my phone

Hi Gwendolyn,

Not trying to be picky, but I’m the grammar geek who sends corrections
to support all the time…

On the most recent release, “You Can Now Preorder WCO,” there are two
errors in the sentence, “P.S. Hey Canada! We’re still working hard and
making good progress on an offical Canada launch, but through Petsmart
Wyze Cam is now in 100 stores up there,”

“Official” is misspelled and “Petsmart” should have a comma after it
to make sense.

Just thought you’d like to correct that before distributing further…

Take care,

Felicia Donovan

1 Like

Hi, after update, when I move the cam pan (pan or tilt) it returns to center and down position by itself… what would be happening?

Check to see if a Detection Zone is set. It’s under Detection Settings.
Others have had the same problem.

1 Like

@jls4wheeler Yes, it turned out to be the VPN token not being compatible issue. Our dev has adjusted the VPN receptor on the app end and what you said about turning off VPN and you getting your devices back also confirms the result of our investigation. But could you private message me what kind of VPN you use (like the name and maybe series number of VPN if you know)? I would like to take it to our dev to make sure that VPN will not cause this issue anymore in the future, thank you!

2 Likes

Detection zone is off. It should be something else.
Thanks for the answer.

He’s using McAfee VPN on his phone.
I had no problem with SurfShark on an Android.

Submitted log - app reports Ticket ID #29984

What has happened so far:

1. Decided to upgrade a second V2 cam which has been activated since March 2019 - everything has been working fine on this cam recently

2. safe ejected and copied 32GB FAT32 microSD card contents to PC - files look and play fine

3. updated app on Android 9 phone, reinserted SD card in cam and powered it back on - all still well and can now swipe between hours in events - Thank you!

4. update V2 cam firmware using the app

5. cam will no longer pull up previous continuous recording from the main screen, or when trying to jump to it from an event.

6. use app to restart cam

7. app can now view SD card continuous recording since the restart but not before

8. safe eject the SD card and copy to PC - at quick glance, all the old and new one minute continuous recording MP4 files look to be intact and playable

9. put SD card back in cam and power up:

• cam can view and play the SD card timeline after the restart in step 6 - all normal
  • timeline is green, indicating recorded data between the time of the flash and the time of the step 6 restart, but it will not play - says there is nothing there
  • all older continuous recording does appear as a green bar on the on the timeline but will not play - says there is nothing there

So now what happens to the older recordings? Will they they be overwritten in time, or will they just take up space on the card until I reformat it?

So basically, if I need to save any old recordings for possible review, I will have to manually go to every camera and get them off the SD card before reformatting it?

I will hold off on updating any more cams until I see what happens with this cam.

/EDIT

Corrected that pre-flash continuous recording DOES appear as a green bar on the timeline, but will not play - “no video at the selected time” - tested this with the new Android app version as well as the previous versions on iOS and Android

Also interesting - got a message about “playback in use” when trying to view the SD card on two devices at the same time - never saw that before, but never tried to view the SD card on two devices simultaneously before either…

/EDIT 2

There is a new folder on the SD card after the flashing - /record/19691231
It contains one MP4 which is just a “play” button icon
I deleted it and it made no difference

3 Likes

Thanks for making one of my cameras totally useless on the one actual time I needed footage off the sd card.
Why have I not learned to not update the firmware for at least a week.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like