Wyze Cam 3 - Recording motion events to SD Card clarification

It would be nice to be able to index the “events” on the timeline when recording continuous. It has been asked for many times over in the Wishlist request topic Mark Events In SD Card Playback.

The newer cams with the updated UI (V3Pro, OG, PanV3, Floodlight Pro) have this feature on their timeline, where it will place an Event Type Icon on the timeline, but the older cams do not.

2 Likes

Is getting those “event index” marks where there isn’t any video recorded a known problem? I seem to get a bunch, where there are cyan blotches all over the timeline, but it tells me “no video at the selected time” if I move to one (this is in event mode for recording). Other marks contain actual footage.

Also, I’ve got my second Cam3 up now in the front, and that one just records nothing for some reason. Everything is set about the same as the other (event mode), and it gives me notifications, but viewing the playback shows no video anywhere. I reformatted the card a couple times through the camera, but haven’t pulled it yet to see if there’s actually anything on it. If not, I’ll try to scrape up another card or try the working one from the first camera. I did get stuff the first night, but I don’t think any related prefs were changed, and it hasn’t mentioned anything about any errors.

Thanks!

If you are getting this message while the timeline is focused on a colored portion of the timeline, you are most likely experiencing a network connectivity issue between your cam and your phone.

When the App on your phone is having trouble loading the video that is there, it will give you that message if it can’t load it quickly.

When it does this on the V3, look in the upper left corner above the video at the transfer rate:

If this is 0.0, there is no connectivity and there is a slowdown either between your phone and the router, the router and the cam, or your router isn’t playing friendly with the devices on the network.

I regularly got the same behavior from my cams on both my older routers before I upgraded to a 3 node Mesh.

SlabSlayer,

Thanks! That sounds like a distinct possibility, as I do get occasional Wi-Fi disconnects on the front camera. I’ll try to watch it to see if that’s the one.

I pulled that SD card last night, and it had a bunch of inaccessible folders with gibberish names, so I guess that explains the no-record thing on that one. I had to use a Linux live CD to reformat it as fat32 on the computer, so I’ll see what it does now, but I guess it’s still possible that the Wyze screwed up on the formatting, corrupted it after-the-fact, or that the card is no good.

Take Care

1 Like

Is this the same way on all Wyze cams with SD cards? That they record 1-min videos and save the desired detected events, discarding the rest? Im curious about the V3 V2 OG cams.

I believe so, yes. When events on micro SD card recording is enabled, the one minute block where motion is detected is saved to the card, ex: motion is from ##:##:15 to ##:##:20, the whole ##:##:00 to ##:##:59 is saved to the card. If motion goes past the top of the minute mark, then next :00 to :59 will be saved and so on. When you view the cameras playback in the app, you will see one minute blocks on the timeline, but it will seamlessly play. If you pull the SD card, you’ll see however many 1 minute separate video files for each minute that footage is recorded.

This all goes out the window when you have continuous recording to SD card enabled where it will continuously record without any breaks. It will save 60 1 minute files in a sub folder, then 24 1 hr sub folders in a day folder. You won’t know this when viewing the footage back via playback in the app where it will just play a continuously.