Welcome Wyze Thermostat: the simple and affordable way to bring smart heating & cooling to your home - 10/6/20

My home have only a oil heating system, with W1 and Rh wires. Will the Wyze thermostat work with heat only system?

When I used compatibility checker it forced me to select 4 wires, but I only have 2 wires…

My Nest Therm 3rd Gen and Nest Therm E all work fine with my 2-wire oil heating system, just wondering if Wyze would work too without a common wire? If so I’ll add it to replace my 3rd heating zone.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the Wyze community @lifanus!
I put the two terminals you listed into the compatibility checker. The checker said “there are usually 3 to 6 wires”. Does your system have any more wires? If not, your system may not be compatible without modification.

Any clarity on what gets used for the thermostat knowing you’re home or not? The features says it is both bluetooth and GPS? Bluetooth however doesn’t go 3 miles to set a geofence.

Auto Switch -Wyze Thermostat sets the temperature based on where you are, automatically. Auto Switch uses your phone’s Bluetooth to switch between your Home and Away preferences whenever you leave or enter a 3-mile geo-fenced radius around your home.

I’m interested if I can have it only use bluetooth to my phone/family member’s phones. I’m not interested in this if it’s tracking my location with the GPS on my phone to geofence. Can I use only the bluetooth option to know I’m home? I’d rather wait 10 minutes in the wrong temperature than have Wyze monitoring my GPS coordinates all the time, plus then it won’t be cycling on all the time when I’m within that 3 mile radius which is useless since I both work and shop mostly in that zone.

Literally everything monitors your whereabouts… I mean, you have a phone, right? Your options are, A) Use GPS geofencing as advertised. Or, B) set the hvac to heat/cool manually from phone every time you do something. I’m all about people protecting their privacy… However, I’m certain there’s 20 apps on your phone that know where you are anyway. Do you have WiFi calling on? What about E911? What mapping app do you use? Dunkin app, etc. you’ve already lost the battle, but you’re worried about Wyze turning on the a/c for you?

1 Like

On my present thermostat I can control humidity by switching the R (24V+) wire using a humidistat to cycle the AC. I do that when the house is vacant in the summer months. I set the AC at 75 and the humidistat at 55. The AC will not come on until the humidity gets above 55, I don’t care how hot the house gets as long as the humidity stays low.
Can this be done with the Wyze thermostat?
Thanks, Bob

Do you know if Wyze Thermostat will be eligible for energy rebates from the utility companies?

Since it is not Star Energy certified, I doubt you would get any rebate from energy company. But then, this is not shipping until Dec so anything can change.

1 Like

How will this handle direct sunlight? Temp readings on thermostats rise when they’re in direct sunlight which leads to incorrect temp readings unless it is properly addressed.

Hmm… That’s a bummer. Because otherwise for a lot of people this would be a free purchase as a lot of utilities these days offer > $50 for the installation of a “Smart” thermostat. Can @UserCustomerGwen chime in?

you are not kidding. my local gas/electricity company offers combined $75. net net they will be paying me to install this if it were energy star certified and on their list of eligible device.

regarding the rebate, namely, the Energystar certificate. Here is our plan: we need to launch our product first and collect 1-year saving data of our devices across the US to show EPA the field saving capability. That is a hard requirement for Energystar certificate. We can never achieve energy star certificate for user rebate if we don’t sell enough, but users may not buy our thermostat because of no rebate… We need our customers to help us to get the certificate, then we definitely want to apply for the certificate and give the value back.

16 Likes

Good to know! I did not know this!

@Chuan anything on the direct sunlight question above?

Hi, good question and I understand the trouble.
Per HVAC engineer handbook, a home thermostat should be installed at the location without direct sunlight. Due to many reasons, like a modified window, an inexperienced installer, or a design flaw, we do observe direct sunlight on some thermostats. We could apply a signal filter to ignore the temperature peak if a fixed pattern is identified, but we will need data first to train the model. Short answer, we have a solution but the problem needs to occur several times for us to apply the treatment.

6 Likes

Seriously, if someone has their thermostat placed in a way that is subject to direct sunlight, whoever installed it didn’t know what they were doing. Usually it is placed in a central location inside the house away from sunlight and drafts and such.

2 Likes

i didnt build my house and it has ~20ft windows. the sun can be very resilient with all of it’s shining and such. so, sunshine on thermostats is a thing that happens.

I am one of the thermostat testers and am affected by this. The thermostat location was installed by the builder and gets afternoon sun. Let me know what I can do to help collect data.

1 Like

Did you find the thermostat giving false temp readings when it happened? My nest thermostat has an option to combat it, but it either doesn’t work well or doesn’t work well enough.

I know this solution is not feasible or easy for everyone depending on their house, but you could move the thermostat to a more suitable location.

1 Like

Yes, when the sunlight is hitting it… I’ll have to do some testing to see how much it’s affecting it

Yes, definitely a possibility, especially since I was going to replace the wiring to eliminate the C adapter

2 Likes