We’re Giving Wyze Person Detection to All Users at Whatever Price You Want - 1/11/22

True, the notifications are every 5-minutes without Cam Plus, but the local video is continuous.

Hmm, anybody know if subscription-less V3 Pros will still be able to generate Amazon person announcements?

I don’t understand why anyone would need cloud videos with this cam anyway.

If you have an SD card (which IMO everyone should do, whether or not you use the cloud events), then it will still link to the video event, which is what really matters. When you get a notification with an image of what was detected, you click on that and have it link you to that event on the SD card, all for free and no cloud needed.

The only negative I see is the 5 minute cool down limit.

But I don’t really see why this would need Cloud anymore if the detections can be done locally.

When we signed up for Cam Plus Lite, they indicated that it was only guaranteed for cam models prior to it’s launch and that there were likely future camera models that wouldn’t be able to use it. Now I see why. It’s not really needed anymore since the AI is local. Now they just need to get rid of the cooldown period. And the cooldown doesn’t make this camera worse than prior versions since they all had it too, it’s just unnecessary for this model since the cloud cost concerns are so minimal (push notification data and storage of thumbnail images).

2 Likes

This is a very perplexing situation, everyone who is the voice customer has probably experienced some doubt about Wyze’s business plan.

I guess the hardest part to except is the fact that they don’t answer any of the queries posed by users, which is very hazy and confusing situation, which they would do well to improve on.

1 Like

Right, carver. The only other consideration is SD reliability - my experience with existing Wyzecams and SD cards has been abysmal, and I don’t even try to view them anymore. I know others have had better luck, and I would hope the new cams are rock solid in this regard…

Oh yeah, the other, other only consideration ( :wink: ) is that without Lite there is no cloud copy of any event video at all, which can be a problem if the camera or card are damaged, stolen, or malfunctioned.

1 Like

The other other other thing is if these cams will be detected by the docker wyze bridge so the techno adept crowd can use them in order to eliminate wyze restrictions, fees and use the generated RTSP stream for hksv or just use the bridge UI.

1 Like

Exactly that was kind of my point how they keep moving the goal posts and it makes them a very untrustworthy and Shady company in my opinion. I have SD cards in all my wise cams as backup in case something happens with the cloud upload but if somebody were to break in see the camera and take the camera or the SD card and there is no cloud backup well then you’re screwed. My point is why did Wise choose to update the version 3 cam to 2K, which is awesome, but then make it local SD record only or pay for cam Plus?

1 Like

The why is pretty obvious isn’t it? Can’t entice people to pay for a subscription so make it mandatory to get the functionality of the older cams.

It’s a tricky spot to be in, because at the $50/ camera price point they are now competing with Costco and Sams Club deals on 4K camera systems that include 2TB hard drive (I have seen 8 camera 4K systems with 2TB hard drive, person, pet, vehicle, package detection for $399). Sure they are wired systems but that actually makes them work better since they don’t have to compete with all the abundance of 2.4ghz noise.

So while the 3 pro is nice looking, it is a big gamble since it is only 2K and only operates on 2.4ghz. The real sweet spot price point for any of this level of wireless camera is really no more than $30 and ideally $20 so you make your margins on volume sales.

1 Like