We’re Giving Wyze Person Detection to All Users at Whatever Price You Want - 1/11/22

5-minute gaps only seem to apply to sequential Motion events, since (coincidental or related) Sound events get recorded far sooner than 5-minutes after Motion is logged. I’ve noticed this on the free plan.

So I’m trying to understand this. I bought my Outdoor cams getting 12secs stored on the cloud, but now I will only get 12secs stored on my SD card and a thumbnail stored on the cloud? And this Person detection, does that mean my camera will not detect things beside people? Thus eliminating the squirrels setting off the camera? My problem with that is I monitor my chicken coop to watch for foxes, raccoons etc trying to get my chickens. I couldn’t careless about a person showing up. I think I will be waiting to sign up for anything until after the 15th to see how things change. I planned to buy 2 more outdoor cams but will delay that now also. I choose Wyze because I didn’t have a lot of extras to pay for after buying the cameras.

Nope. If you opt in to Lite then you will continue to get 12 second cloud videos, for free if you demand $0. The thumbnails apply only if you do NOT opt in.

No it does not mean that. You will still have regular motion detection and alerting. In addition you have an option of turning on person detection. You don’t have to.

1 Like

Interesting to see Brian’s take on Wyze, and this issue, in the current Automate Your Life video.

1 Like

That was a pretty fair rundown. However, other than throwing up the plan comparison table briefly and maybe a passing subtitle, he never mentions or discusses the new Lite tier at all.

Pretty good review. I like that creator, Bryan/Brian from Automate Your Life. I recommend him.

A few points of clarification that I felt the video implied or said incorrectly:

the lack of an option like nest aware where it doesn’t matter how many cameras i have I just get a single price

Wyze is experimenting with Cam Plus Unlimited (basically like other companies who have “unlimited” cloud Cam subscriptions)…he said Wyze doesn’t have such a plan…which isn’t entirely correct, but neither is it wrong.

i’d also like to see smartthings integration that was promised a while ago but i have a feeling both samsung and Wyze are waiting on the matter standard to address integration for most products and you could say the same thing for apple homekit

They never promised Smart things connectivity to my knowledge, but I do think it might happen with Matter.

The microSD skip forward or back function isn’t part of Cam Plus Lite as suggested in the slide. Everyone gets it, but he put on the slide that it is part of CPL, which is not the case. (though to be fair, his large comparison chart does show that this is included on the option of text notifications with thumbnail only).

but nowadays there’s even a subscription service that you can purchase from Wyze to see all of your cameras on your pc and that feature is currently in beta and it’s still being developed but this is an important option for many people

He seemed to imply the WebView had its own special subscription that would enable viewing all your cams on the web, but it should be clarified any Cam with Cam Plus can use it (during the beta test at least), there is no unique standalone WebView subscription that enables all the cams as it seemed to imply…each cam needs a cam plus license to be used on the webview…this is especially ambiguous or confusing in his video since he’d already been talking about Cam Plus a lot and then seemed to be suggesting this was different from that in some way and one new subscription dedicated to webview enabled all cams to use it (though in a way Cam Plus Unlimited kind of works this way…but he implied that didn’t exist), rather than the feature being included with Cam Plus (minus a few exceptions like battery operated cams)

Other than those 4 ambiguities, this was a fair review.

And he did a pretty good job with his chart of the subscription differences:

Again, I like Bryan/Brian from Automate Your Life and I watch his videos routinely (at least the ones involving products I have or am interested in). I just thought I’d mention those 4 points are worth clarifying. :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing @nls I hadn’t seen that yet, and I enjoyed it.

3 Likes

Are we gonna get camplus lite working with v3s and pan cams soon? Because it doesn’t.

Your comments and corrections of Brian’s analysis are helpful. He would probably appreciate it if you chose to add the corrections in Comments below his video. He always seems to encourage constructive criticism.

1 Like

Thanks, I did leave him a comment about those 4 items before I commented here, but my comment there was definitely not as clear or detailed as I left here, so hopefully he still understands what I am saying without the examples/references. :slight_smile:

I just updated my commend to him to reference my review of the video in more detail as outlined above:

Huh…I was more concise and it still made sense…Must be a fluke. :rofl:

2 Likes

Even if you don’t opt in to Cam Plus Lite the clips stored on your SD card are not limited to 12 seconds. You can still record Events only or Continuously record to the SD card.

If you don’t opt in, nothing changes from the way it is now, except you have the option of using Person Detection notifications. Motion and Sound detection and notification doesn’t change.

1 Like

Okay I guess I missed that he does discuss Lite? However your screenshot shows him claiming that the Lite tier includes *PEOPLE, PACKAGE, VEHICLE, PET DETECTION" and that’s just not true…

1 Like

So basically, all of the cameras I bought with the promise of free 12 second clip cloud storage. Are useless unless I pay for your subscription. Even though they were bought with the promise of free cloud storage? Sounds like a real stand up company.
The cameras are in NO way 1080p from what I have seen. If a person is several feet away, the video is so grainy that you cant make out a persons face. And now it seems the company is getting a little bigger, and now they are saying “screw our customers”
Like another poster posted. Cam plus, cam plus light, cam plus pro… Could you make it any more complicated while you are screwing us. If I am going to pay for a service. It will be one that I can make out faces further than 10 ft.
In the end. I am sure there are other companies out there still honoring their promise. I will go to them if need be.

3 Likes

Technically you don’t have to pay for cam plus light. Just put zero for subscription fee. I agree with everything else in your post. No need for all the variants of cam plus nor should it be per camera. Company is acting like a corporate giant, yet still in it’s infancy. They won’t make it. Sadly I liked wyze from the beginning but they don’t have good people making the right decisions which will in turn run them into fhe ground. Because of what I am seeing I will not spend as much money on wyze products since most rely on their servers to work. No company means most of the products will be junk. Wyze needs new management.

2 Likes

Y’all are way too negative. Pay zero, zip your lip or move on. Penny paid per awesomeness can’t be beat with Wyze. They aren’t perfect, but for the price… The CamPlus stuff is convoluted. Agreed. They are an engineering led company and I used to work for one. But now they are seeing the importance of customer service and marketing focus and are working to improve. I’m hopeful—and I’m no company shill.

2 Likes

So you saying everyone shouldn’t speak up? Wyze needs to hear from its users. The cam plus thing is dumb. For every complaining customer there are like 10 more that just say F this and do move on.
The plus thing should be one price for all and a free slimmed version like cam lite.

3 Likes

Did you not read the comment from another user stating he tried to put 0? But has 3 cams so was told that 1.50 or something like that was fair. It wouldnt let him put $0. Your way of thinking and attitude is part of the reason companies like this think they can do this bs. Like @ rdelp68 said. Most users wont even bother to speak up. They will just move on to another company. As I most likely will. So instead of Wyze seeing that this is unacceptable. They will just tank because the lost all of their customers. There are just too many companies out there to allow Wyze to screw us. And thats exactly what this is. They sell a bunch of cameras with the promise of web viewing, and free cloud storage. And then after they have sold alot of units. They take back a big part of why they were sold in the first place. And force its costumers who are already invested in their products, to now pay for its use. Without web viewing and cloud storage, these things are almost trash. Sure I can put sd cards in them. As I already have. But if I have a break in and they steal the cams, well that was pointless.

When it comes down to it. This boils down to a company who made promises to get customers. Then after getting its costumers. Ignored the promises it made thinking that its costumers are too invested in its products to discontinue and buy a competing brand.
They are wrong.

And you are right. They arent perfect. They are actually kinda cruddy in terms of video quality. So price is actually terrible for what we are about to get now. Which is nothing but grainy video on a sd card. OR a stolen camera with no way to see who stole it.

But hey, theres one born everyday. Some people can get screwed and be convinced they like it.

2 Likes

Deep breath folks. 9/10 of people complaining have obviously not read and/or can’t comprehend that nothing really is changing if you type in $0.00. I did just that. I may pay once it’s up and running. It’s actually better than it was when they finally enable person detection.

Your complaint stat is meaningless because common sense says that most people that arrive on a message board are those with complaints. So yes, you will see problems discussed here.

2 Likes

Just to clarify that statement, can you post a copy or link to this lifetime “promise of free cloud storage” you believe you received when you bought your cameras? I have bought cameras from Wyze but don’t recall any such package of lifetime benefits, but the rest of us including me would like to know if we did or should have gotten what you say you got.
Thank you.

1 Like

Good catch, I missed that on the slide. On the audio he explained it correctly and the big comparison chart had it correct too, I missed that mistype on the individual slide though because I was just skimming and got tunnel vision on the SD card skipping feature. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just some sourced facts for added perspective. Carry on.

Type Count Note As of Source
Wyze Users 6.3M+ 5M+ plus 1.3M 10/06/21 Customer email
Cam Plus Subs     .3M+ 01/21/22 Customer email *
Forum User Names     .1M+ 02/09/22 Forum stats †

* Two emails with same stats: 11/8/21 & 1/21/22
Available here: https://forums.wyze.com/u

4 Likes