Water or fogging inside the camera

That looks like the camera may be under cover?

Of course it is. It’s mounted on the wood siding on the South side of my house up to the right side of my garage door. It is about 3 feet under an eve and it does get rain on the lens when the rain is coming from the South West and the wind is blowing like today. I haven’t had a “Fogging” issue with that cam. I have 4 battery powered outdoor cams also. The only one that has the fog issue is the one that is 6 inches off the ground and not covered. That happens when there is dense ground fog and/or the cam lens gets covered with water from the rain. I just go out and wipe the lens off with a soft cloth.

I have to cameras and both of them are exposed to the weather and only ONE had the fog issue. So I assume it was just a bad unit compared to the other.

Been raining and windy here in the California Sierras, supposed to snow tonight, tomorrow and Wednesday. So I will be putting these V3’s to the test❗

Have 14 outside V3’s that replaced V2’s in the weather resistant housings, the V2’s saw several Winters :cold_face:

The fogging I am talking about with the V3s is internal condensation, not something that can be wiped away and it does make the cameras useless. For me it occurred with a sharp change in temp / humidity and did not recover.

1 Like

We have V3 at snow peak 8,400ft also in Montana, Colorado with no issues

Wyze is replacing my camera… My new one should arrive tomorrow. I will take my old one indoors and see if it will dry out in a few weeks or months.

All my V3’s survived yesterday’s rain and last night’s snow :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake::snowflake: So far no issues of fogging or water ingress to the V3 Wyze Cams

2CAA8EFA9587_1639487649008

I want to know why the Bear, Fox, Cat, squirrel, skunk or those tasty looking deer are absent. Did thet all go on vacation at the same time? Maybe they took a cruise to Mexico . We got snow here today but on top of Mount Diablo which is only at 3849 feet elevation, I’m at 130 feet elevation. The raccoons and possum did go surfing this weekend though because we finally got some good rains.

All the critters bugged out to lower elevations yesterday :exclamation:

Mine worked fine for months, then a couple decided to condense on the inside. I suspect over time the IP rating does not hold up, my guess the speaker and holes on the back but who knows. Once the spots show up inside the lens the camera is useless.

I have a camera that appears to have water behind the lens. This was right after a particularly fierce rain/snow/hail/wind storm, so the camera took a bit of a beating.
Camera works fine, but the image is blurry, I assume because of water behind the lens. Cleaning the lens on the outside makes no difference.

Is your camera mounted upside down??

No, this camera was not mounted upside down at the time.

That is disappointing. I think we are all coming to the conclusion that whatever testing Wyze did for watering it was inadequate.

The good news is that support has been replacing water damaged cameras for free. Hopefully this continues after warrantee expire.

I think the fogging is more from temperature changes over and over creating the condensation inside the lens assembly. I have some in outside enclosures that got wet from blowing rain with no damage, and others that didn’t get wet that did get the fogging.

It is fairly easy to clean, See above for video tutorials for 1/2 and 3, but by design, it may happen again. I wonder if that clear cover can be left off? It may be a UV or anti-halation filter, but maybe it is just for dust. Ether way, it can probably be removed with little impact.

For mine I had one where water got inside the lens and even after disassembly and taking the lens out and putting it in a warm place for 6 months it never got better. It was like dirt or something was in the water and it was bad after. But I didn’t try to fix it until after Wyze replaced it anyway. So it didn’t matter.

On the other one it was upside down and water got in through the memory card door so bad that water just poured out of it.

I have IoT doorbells and other outdoor cameras that I have had for years without any issues. This was just a poor job to make a low cost weatherproof camera. Hopefully the Cam V4 will have a new design that is much more weatherproof.

I have an indoor camera that looks like this but even worse.

Happens with mine all the time.

I have two V3 cameras, and both have gone hazy. I brought one of them inside for a couple of weeks and then opened it up. I’d already tried cleaning the outside of the lens assembly, but that didn’t work. Once the lens assemble had been detached from the internal circuit board, I cleaned it again, and then did the back surface of the lens assembly, as well as the cover slip over the CMOS sensor, Nothing helped.

If I could get a couple of lens assemblies, I’d put some glass over the front of each of the cameras and then use silicon caulking to hold the glass in place.

I don’t care about the infra-red illumination, but I do need the image to be as sharp as possible. It’s a decent little camera when it works, but with a 100% failure rate after a few months outside, I don’t think I’ll be buying anymore.