View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

listen, you can defend them all you want, but excuses from an outsider are just a guess and not necessarily factual reasons - ultimately it does not change the fact this is the number one desired feature pushed back to “maybe - later” - which is marketing talk for we’ll give you a shred of hope to keep you engaged but don’t hold your breath.

Products that exceed customer demands and expectations are what keep customers and don’t lose profits to competitors. If competitors are limited at present, it’s unlikely to remain so.

1 Like

Sure. I didn’t present it as factual reasons. I said we don’t know everything that’s happening, and I don’t think it’s super reasonable to get upset with them about a feature that never existed in the first place, and that they never promised. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since they DO take customer feedback into account and their track record shows that they’ve implemented SEVERAL features based on customer feedback in the past, I think it’s reasonable to assume that this one presents some challenges we’re not privy to. But I still think they’ll do it at some point, personally.

Ok. I hear ya, you believe eventually, I believe it should be a priority - truce achieved :wink:

Fwiw, I only had experience with an old hardwired system that came with this house that turned out to be way past it’s use by date. With only limited info, I made the incorrect assumption that any modern IP cam could simply be accessed via its IP address and port by any browser simply by using the login I supplied via the app. Similar to setting up my print server or my NAS with file shares which I can login via browser from anywhere by opening their ports on the router. So ya, I failed to do enough research and am disappointed with my purchase. My fault.

1 Like

I don’t like the fact that you cripple the camera by not getting the latest updates when you install RTSP. Also, I am not a beta tester.

It’s a balancing act.
Do you want the features RTSP allows or do you want the latest updates.
RTSP doesn’t cripple the camera but some features don’t work. People detection for example. Although, some of the software you can use with RTSP cameras have face detection.

@angus.black @ssummerlin @ChemEngr

It isn’t Wyze-approved, so if you brick your camera while doing it, you’re on your own, but If you’re hack-friendly, this allows you to use NAS with the camera and I believe it supports all the other features. GitHub - HclX/WyzeHacks: Hacks I discovered allowing Wyze camera owners to do customizations

It basically tricks the camera into reading your NAS as its onboard SD card

3 Likes

It’s tempting. But I’ll wait and see. If we end up moving to an unguarded community after we retire and before wyze offers it, then I’ll dig into the hack option. But it also depends on what wyze does for outdoor cams - if we move to an open community, we’ll want exterior monitoring with real time PC/browser access, NAS/NVR stg capability, etc. We only have 2 wyze, only one looking at front door area is actually used for event notifications so we are not deeply committed.

I agreed up to this point. :grinning:

If you think a Wyze camera with the RTSP firmware is crippled then any Wyze camera a year ago was crippled.
The RTSP firmware is essentially the stock Wyze firmware at that point in time.

I just can’t see using old software when fixes are out.

Maybe hobbled is a better choice.

Totally. Is there another status that shows “confirmed”? Has Wyze team ever confirmed adding any of the suggested features (and work in progress)?

Some of the ‘fixes’ aren’t going in the direction some people want. :slightly_smiling_face:
The RTSP firmware is for people that feel Wyze aren’t going to address their needs in the future. It’s a workaround for those that want to be able to view cameras in a browser and/or record to personal storage.
If Wyze does address some of the higher voted issues they can always switch back to stock firmware.

1 Like

Very good point. I can see that could be useful. I use an Android emulator myself, but I mostly use my phone or tablet.

I’m about to change from WYZE to another provider because there is NO WEB INTERFACE for this product and I can’t figure out why.

Please, Wyze, give me a web interface. WIthout it I have to dump all the cams (over a dozen in 3 locations).

2 Likes

Too bad there isn’t somewhere these cameras can be sent to without showing up in a landfill. Maybe school or church?

From my limited reading, the RTSP allows the viewing but I don’t recall any feature that allows for personal storage included in the firmware - it’s only available to those who want to attempt the hack route. Unless I’m mistaken?

I get the sarcasm but it got me to thinking if anyone has attempted to remove the cam/sensor hardware to connect to a raspberry pi?

1 Like

I have 12 and adding few more in process. Would love to see this happening. Great job!!

Sarcasm? Me? :rofl:

Raspberry Pi could be a game changer. My friend setup Jetson Nano Pi with AI. It could tell the difference of a banana to a roller pin.

Maybe Pi Ai will solve the person detection issue.

I didn’t mean directly through the camera firmware or the Wyze app.
Once a camera is RTSP compatible you can do much more with it. Recording to your own storage is available through third party software like Blue Iris.

1 Like