Using a Wyze cam in remote locations on cellular hotspot

I have my phone connected to the jetpack hot spot but my cameras wont “find the network”. Did you set them up at home on a wifi network then bring them to the cabin? I cant get the cameras to find the jetpack network. My phone through the app does as it asks for the password to the jetpack but then wont recognize the network. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L

@Jeffduf23 The camera should connect to whatever wifi network the phone is connected to when you set it up. If the phone won’t connect to the jetpack then you can’t proceed.

What I discovered it that the jetpack has a 5.0 and a 2.4mghz network… the Wyze cameras can only connect to the 2.4. I was using 5.0 and they could not find the network. As soon as I turned on the 2.4 they found the network and connected right away. Thanks!

2 Likes

Question…should I be able to set up my wyzecam v2 at home through my wifi (with SD card) and then put it in a location without wifi and have it record to the SD card? I’ve tried this and when I set it up without wifi, it’s not recording. When I pull the SD card and check it on my laptop after doing a short test period of recording time, there is nothing recorded.

Offline SD card recording is a different topic than this thread about using cellular hotspots, so I’ll give a couple short answers and refer you to a link where you can post further comments or questions.

The cam will not work as you described because it needs access to the Internet to boot up and start the recording.

However, you can set up your cam to use your home WiFi, and then move it to a remote location and have it record to the SD card IF you start the camera up on your network while it is connected to a battery bank. The camera will record from your house to the remote location, but you won’t be able to connect to live view at the remote location. Best to use a pass-thru charging battery bank so you can charge it on the way, and after you arrive. Otherwise the recording will stop when the battery bank loses its charge because you won’t be able to switch to AC power without also losing the ability to record to the SD card.

Wyze is looking into fixing the offline SD card recording issue (see recent comments in the thread below), but ATM I do not expect live view will be available even after they get offline recording to work again. May get surprised, though.

More in spirit with this thread, if you set up the camera to use a phone hotspot, and have cell service in the remote location, then you can start up the camera there (and get a live feed too).

Further comments or questions son offline SD card recording should be made in this thread:

1 Like

Not to whip a dead horse but I paid $50.00 cash for 8 gigs of data for my jetpack to Verizon. It worked for 30 days then quit. I went by and removed the card a couple of weeks later and when I reviewed what was on it, the last event was about 1am on the 31st day. So it looks like it quit recording as soon as service was shut off.

A power glitch could explain that. We have done some extensive and recent testing and determined the camera will continue to record to the SD card in the absence of Internet, at least until power drops and it can’t restart.

1 Like

@Newshound I guess the power could have flickered an hour after service was cut off, I wasn’t there. Just reporting what I observed. I have it back up and running and set up on auto pay now.

Thanks so much for clarifying, both the threads and the process for the remote recording. That makes sense to me ( and to the guy at USCellular who was helping me as I read it. He also has a wyze cam and was excited to meet someone else who did. I ended up getting their mifi hotspot to use. I don’t want to chance the power block and the person I’m setting this up for is elderly and not at all tech savvy. I’ll be testing it tonight and setting it up tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed. Trying to get evidence of someone breaking into a house and stealing things.

1 Like

Woo hoo! It’s up and working so far! I can view remote as well, though will keep that to a minimum to conserve data usage.

2 Likes

Soooo… I bought 2 V2’s and hooked them up at my cabin last week. They connected to the jetpack with absolutely no trouble at all and now I’m 2500 miles away viewing my place!! It’s a little miracle! They don’t seem to be using much data but even still - I tested them out for a week with max 600kbps availability of data (blew thru my 15 gigs of high speed doing other things while I was there). There was no noticeable difference between having the high speed or the lesser. This is the best thing ever! =)

Hope you put smart plugs on them to cycle power in case something glitches. When you are 2500 miles away, that’s a good investment. :+1:

1 Like

Just be careful doing updates.
I’ve 6 V2 cameras far remote and don’t do firmware updates at all when I can’t get to them.

2 Likes

So, I heeded your advice (after the fact) @Newshound and picked up a couple smart plugs. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to do anything about it for a few more months. lol I don’t think my issues are actually Wyze related, but more Jetpackish. It’s either malfunctioning (it’s old) or has really bad signal (most likely) or even my battery that’s running the whole shabang has crapped out (also a distinct possibility). It’s fun all the same. It all goes out for a few days and then POOF, it all miraculously comes back on. The excitement of the day drumroll please… A bunny!!! lol Hey I’ll take what I can get. :grinning: @gemniii, so far so good with the updates lol I’m living on the edge! fingers crossed

I am trying to do the same thing with a mobile hotspot. I have a tablet I will be leaving at home. I am trying to setup the camera now it is asking for wifi network name and password?

If the camera will be travelling with you, then you would get the network name and password from the hotspot settings of the device serving the hotspot. The hotspot will need to be active during setup. If the camera will remain at home, then you would just use your standard WiFi name & password.

Unclear why you mentioned you have a tablet you will be leaving at home, so I might be missing something.

1 Like

I finally got around to trying this out and it was pretty simple. The only thing tricky was you have to be on the same hotspot network while setting up the Wyze cam.

I now have this total remote stand-alone surveillance system I can leave anywhere with power and a cellular data signal. I have this installed at my storage unit only using a 2 port usb plug. I also plugged this setup into my solar charge controllers usb ports and its totally stand-alone.

What You Will Need

1. Smart Phone with Wyze app installed.

2. Extra Unlocked Android Smartphone that allows WiFi Hotspot Tethering. I’m using an old ASUS Zenfone.

3. Data Only Sim Card. I added a Data only sim to my Google Fi for only $10 a month per 1GB

4. Any WYZE Cam. I’m using the Wyze Pan Cam because all my other cameras are installed in my home wifi network.

Directions

1. Set Up/Turn On WiFi Hotspot Tethering on the device you will be connecting the Wyze cam to. Create a Name and password for your hotspot. Make Sure the device is using the cellular only.

2. Using the Primary device that you use to view your Wyze Cams. Disconnect from your home WiFi or Other WiFi Network you are currently connected to, Then Connect to the New WiFi Hotspot Network you just created. You need to be on the same network as the Wyze cam you are setting up.

3. Next on the same Primary device that you use to view your Wyze Cams. Add a New camera the same way you do any new Wyze camera. Just be sure to connect the new Camera to the WiFi Hotspot and not any home network.

4. Disconnect your Primary Wyze app device then re-connect to your Home WiFi, Other or Cellular network.

If you followed the Wyze App steps to set up a new device and you should be ready to go. The camera should now be viewable in your Wyze app totally separate from your Home Wyze cam Network.

The Good News is that because of the local storage on the Camera I am using barely and Cellular Data. I have kept the camera and hot spot plugged in for over 24 hours since I set it up and so far I have only used a little over 100KB of Cellular Data on my $10 a month 1GB plan

I am streaming 360p for the smallest amount of data right now and will test the data more as I see fit to pay more. Google Fi has the best plans it allows me to use up to 6GB before I get throttled back. The max I will ever pay with Google Fi is $60.

Obviously the higher you set the resolution for the camera as well as how often you view or stream the camera will be a big factor of how much data per month you will be using up. The Motion sensors don’t use any cellular data at all the only data comes from the camera itself sending notifications.

1 Like

Hello. I just bought a jet pack w Verizon. Am I missing something. I can’t connect to the base

Anyhelp is greatly app.

Do you have your phone connected with wifi to the jetpack?