[Updated 02-13-20] Data leak 12-26-2019

Wyze is literally responding to your rants. Right now.

2 Likes

Please add a mechanism to send email to the account owner when an unrecognized device signs in. And please add a mechanism to list recognized devices and to revoke authorization tokens. It is annoying that Netflix has tighter access controls than Wyze does for private video streams.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community, @jamesdlin. You might be interested in this Wishlist topic.

Search Wishlist (enter your search word/s after Wishlist in the search box)
Search Roadmap (enter your search word/s after #roadmap in the search box)

Please read through How to Use the Wishlist and How to Read the Roadmap.

8 Likes

There are two security focused steps that Wyze can and should take. Both have been discussed above but I don’t recall any official response from Wyze. And both are glaringly missing from recent updates. Perhaps I missed them?

1. A notification to the primary account of login attempts be they successful or unsuccessful.

Unsuccessful attempts should be limited to prevent brute force attacks. Perhaps a log accessible to the primary account owner?

It should not be an in app feature. Out of band only. This avoids cases where a DOS attack leaves your account locked.

1. An authorized device list showing all devices/services that are logged into your Wyze account.

Should include the ability to individually or wholesale log devices/services out of your account and require them to re-login.

These are fairly standard abilities present in most iOT devices. Good examples are Ring, Google, and Amazon.

5 Likes

I think I’ve just been violated by Wyze. They’ve been stealing personal information from my phone, in addition to “person” log events. The wireless data generated in the last 30 days is currently at a whopping 45 gig, which is unprecedented for me as I normally average about 2 gigs a month. I just uninstalled their software altogether. They’ve lost my trust and a good customer.

Have you contacted support about this, using that much data is something that should be looked into.

WYZE Support

Live support is available:

+1-206-339-9646

Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT

Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT

4 Likes

Agree with @WyzeJasonJ on contacting Wyze - something ain’t right!

Just for discussion, any more details?

How many cams? About how many motion events per day?

Were any of them left streaming an HD live feed across the internet to a different location for really long periods of time? (on purpose or by accident)

How many people at remote locations could or would be viewing the live feed(s) and/or reviewing any continuously recorded footage on the SD cards?

It sounds like you were using the stock Wyze firmware + app, and not doing something like a continuous RTSP feed to Blue Iris, etc at a remote location, correct?