The Future of Wyze is Coming Part 1

Did you vote for Dark Mode here?
App Dark Theme / Mode

1 Like

Dark mode should be a standard option.

2 Likes

Yes and have posted numerous requests. I find it VERY disappointing in an instant they could write new firmware for Wyze cams to turn them into webcams, but they cant recode a simple color choice or at least give a switch in app setup for a higher contrast mode.

It is mind boggling they have remained silent - I’ve even signed up for Beta testing the app in Android, no such test in any beta has been pushed

3 Likes

It’s not mind boggling. It’s just not at the top of the feature request list. You do know how many people use Wyze, right? Not all of us have the same ideas, wants, and/or needs as you.

I and 672+ other people agree. :slight_smile:
If they can manage the complexities of white on black at least some contrasting color would be nice. Pale thin fonts on a white background isn’t exactly accessible friendly.
I see they have changed a few icons.

1 Like

I mean dark mode should be the way apps are written to begin with. wyze or otherwise. People who use non dark mode intentionally are probably lizard people.

4 Likes

Well, angus.black

April 16

It has been noted 672+ other people agree with the need for a dark mode. Did more than us ask for webcam firmware to be developed near instantaneously?

Think of how many don’t use this forum, and wish list.

It’s a no brainers to just do it.

I guess you don’t get your eyes blown out at 3am like we do. Lower brightness only lowers the contrast even more, making it just as hard to read.

2 Likes

Fully agree. This is not 1988

2 Likes

The dark mode is something that we’re interested in but takes significant reworking of the app to implement (similar to why landscape mode hasn’t been implemented yet). But it is something we’re researching. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So what you are saying is that there is no section of the code where those values are all defined?

I guess it would be difficult then.

1 Like

It shouldn’t be complex at all.

The call-outs for the 2 colors used are simply repeating lines of code. Not too unlike editing a windows registry file once inside the APK. The developers should know that.

If one wishes to edit the APK, here is a guide:

1 Like

:slight_smile: I started looking at the APK last night.

I’m sure it’s not that it’s hard to do but rather the devs have a list from the higher ups that they need to get done to show investors. I’ll be using mine in dark mode in a few days once I have some more time to finish. If it ends up stable( I am not an android developer but I know enough) I will share it. If anyone else does, I encourage you to do the same.

1 Like

Also, they can’t change the Android app without changing the iOS app.
Not a huge job but everything takes time.
Of course, the more hardware they expect one app to support the more bugs they create. Scales, bands, bulbs, plugs, locks, motion sensors and cameras all in one app is getting way too cluttered.

Yes, though should be same process.

Agreed on the clutter, however if they focused on making the app more user friendly in less than sunlight, and adopted more of the user wish-list, then I’d be inclined to expand my investments in Wyze hardware.

They don’t realize how the app is holding back greater sales.

1 Like

First off, I’m glad I asked the question because I got some thoughtful answers. Particularly @jdnobil 's response.

There does appear to be a lot more to it than I expected. I was expecting there to be one stylesheet defined for the whole of the app to draw on for something as basic as background and foreground colors. It’s not a wonder anymore why so many apps still don’t have a dark mode. I’m guessing that it has to do with backwards compatibility and cross compatibility with iStuff.

I gonna be a lengthy wait. :open_mouth:

Yes, @jdnobil did make it sound as easy as replacing a few lines of code.
In real life it’s not that easy any more.
You’re not just swapping black for white. Other colors and icons have to be changed.
Decompiling it at home doesn’t give us the original theme files used.
Ah well, I’ll keep playing around with it.

Wyze can send me the source code if they like. :grinning:

Usually when someone claims a thing is “trivial or easy to accomplish, or should take just a few minutes” or anything along those lines it’s a good indicator they have no idea what they are talking about.

Using an APK decompiler and modifying generated color constants is not equivalent to the actual effort. Additionally making the changes so they can be applied as part of a system theme can be much more involved than it looks.

If the app was and or is written to use styles and themes from the start then yes it’s fairly straightforward. If not then it gets messy quickly.

1 Like

The request is well over 1 year old.

Improving visibility for users with low or limited vision and those who are sensitive to bright light should be a priority.

Depending on how the code is written it’s a no brainer.

I used to code web pages, also know many programmers who code games. Calling color codes for backgrounds and text is NOT overly complex

Here’s a good primer:

Adding Dark Mode Support to Your Android Apps” by Harshit Dwivedi https://link.medium.com/j8qklQEHL5

1 Like

It is.
android:theme=“@style/MyAppTheme”

Hi Angus,

The output of an APK decompiler renders ANY APK as themed so unfortunately that’s not conclusive nor is it at all representative of the original code. I write Android and IOS apps for a living, it’s literally my day job. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes