Sunset, sunrise (dusk, dawn) trigger for rules

If you are “watching” I believe you will get a notification when the thread is edited, usually Gwen goes in and switches the status’s.

Reading through this thread. Looks like it was changed from maybe later to researching between oct and November of last year based on the comments.

2 Likes

Bored, safer at home, retired, nothing else to do with my semi professional programming skills so I made my own chart to refer to periodically when manually configuring On/Off times for various outdoor bulbs.
https://www.phpvs.com/sunrise_bootstrap.php

If I can create such a thing, it should be a no brainer for app developers to use the latitude and longitude for the Zip Code found in the user’s account. I adjusted the calculated On/Off times by half the difference between sunrise and first twilight. Don’t need to wait for sunrise and the programming function included twilight times based on latitude and longitude.

4 Likes

:+1: :smiley: :+1:

Yes please! I have a Wyze bulb outside my shed and it would be great to have it come on/off at dusk/dawn. As it is now I will have to adjust the schedule for from winter to summer.

2 Likes

I would like to submit a feature request (unless it exists and I can’t find it)

In the RULES section, I would like to have a rules feature for when I need to set a “time”, offer the option of “sunrise” and “sunset”, with options for “X Minutes before” and “X minutes after”.

This would be extremely helpful for setting timers on Wyze bulbs. With Wyze capturing my ZipCode in my account, you could know what is the sunrise and sunset times in my area throughout the year. That way the rules I create will vary the ON and OFF times based on sunrise and sunset times throughout the year.

5 Likes

Also, please add a plus/minus offset to sunrise and sunset. Would be nice to be able to turn lights on a half hour before sunset and/or off sometime after sunrise.

2 Likes

I love the sleep routines! But what are the chances of getting the lowest setting to be lower? The wake up is pretty jarring in a dark room.

YES! I agree with this.

When a user is selecting an on/off time, add a feature that allows “Sunrise” +/- 60 minutes and “Sunset” +/- 60 minutes. Thinking particularly for the Wyze Plug, but might be good to have for all applicable products.

This might be a great feature for us in the northern latitudes particularly when length of days really start to change.

The time change reminded of something I wanted to share in this thread.

I have a “dumb” switch that controls my outdoor lights, dumb meaning no wifi. I had to set the day, time and my latitude and longitude (it comes with a table for north america). From that it calculates sunrise and sunset. The timing has been surprisingly accurate even with time changes, I haven’t had to play with the settings since I installed it. If they can put all that into a standalone switch I imagine it shouldn’t be too difficult for a smart device.

This is the switch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AP92N2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_JraOFbEC7B6VV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

it would be too simple to replace the magnetic reed switch on a Sense module with a photocell (+2N2222 transistor). :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I want to use this trigger to turn on/off the Bulb and the sockets

4 Likes

I would also like on and off at sunset and sunrise respectively for my bulbs and sockets.

1 Like

I would like that too. Along with +/- minutes.
Randy

Every light timer (i.e. WYZE plug) should have sunrise/sunset functions, along with daylight savings time functions. Without this, I am painstakingly changed my WYZE plug light timers all year long. All I really want is the lights to turn on +/- minutes around sunset and then off when I go to bed at 10. Please add sunrise/sunset.

1 Like

I see Wyze had sun up/down control in their sprinkler controller.

They have the knowledge and software.

Randy

| tstuff
November 30 |

• | - |

Every light timer (i.e. WYZE plug) should have sunrise/sunset functions, along with daylight savings time functions. Without this, I am painstakingly changed my WYZE plug light timers all year long. All I really want is the lights to turn on +/- minutes around sunset and then off when I go to bed at 10. Please add sunrise/sunset.

2 Likes

Totally agree, absurd they can not add this to the scheduling functions. I have an ancient digital outlet timer that does both DST and sunrise and/or sunset functions and works flawlessly. Since I don’t need this lamp to be voice or otherwise activated, I abandoned the wyze bulb for it since I don’t need color temp or dimming. But for another lamp, I recently came into a free echo and I found that alexa has sunrise/sunset ability plus it auto adjusts for DST, so for our family room lamp, I abandoned the wyze schedule for it and am letting alexa control the bulb. Not sure what I’ll do with the other wyze bulb now I that I have alexa available, maybe we can figure out a lamp for it. Anyway, it gets tiring to see so many seemingly basic wishlist issues go on and on with little hope wyze will ever address them - either say it’s coming or it will not be done. Too many linger too long, at least those I’m watching. Of course we all have different priorities.

I would like to have my Wyze Plug go on at Sunset and off at Sunrise. I can easily set this up on my TP-Link/Kasa plugs. Does anyone know how to do this with the Wyze Plug?

1 Like

I have been using IFTTT to create triggers based on sunrise/sunset. I understand that many would prefer a solution that is native to Wyze, but this is a reliable solution that can be implemented right now. The learning curve of IFTTT is short, and you may find yourself trying out other automations.

3 Likes

In addition you may be interested in these Wishlist topics. :slight_smile:

2 Likes