Spotlight issue

People, if you are using a USB extension, that’s the reason for the failure. Once I removed the 25’ extension, it worked fine, and has since.

2 Likes

The spotlight seems to use too much power for a 25’ run of USB cable

1 Like

We are aware, but that is not an excuse for it not to work. Camera continues to work fine. Wyze needs to fix it. Not being able to use a longer extension cable very much limits the use of the spotlight and pretty much everyone will agree and has.

1 Like

The camera most likely uses less power than the spotlight, as far as I am aware there is not really a way to lower the power consumption.

1 Like

If they cannot fix this with firmware or provide a better (Lossless cable) then the V3 Camera and Spotlight will be of little use for most. Not many people have power outlets within 6 feet of where they would want to mount their cameras’

Very much an oversight on Wyzes part. They obviously did not test. It is not so much as the camera drawing less power but a case of the spotlights electronics not functioning correctly with reduced power levels. The Camera handles it fine, but not the spotlight. Hopefully a power management issue they can solve with firmware, but I doubt it.

They will need to release better way to provide power to the spotlight so that people can mount the where they are needed

I’m in the same boat. I have a 25’ cable and so far the spotlight has worked for a few days with no problem. But, from the same outlet, I have a 33’ cable run and another spotlight works for a few hours and them stops until I unplug and restart the camera.

I’m convinced it’s the splitter that’s the issue. I put 2 new splitters on 2 of my cameras on Thursday and they are ( knock on wood) still working.

For the record.

My spotlight has been working fine for weeks then suddenly today it won’t turn on.

Tapping the button in the app occasionally switches the lamp on and when it does power on it only stays lit for a few seconds then turns off again.

Using the standard splitter included.

How long is the cable between your power adapter and the camera/spotlight?

If it is the original cable, then just unplug power, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. I put a wifi plug on mine because even though I switched to a short cable I still see a problem just like you every few weeks.

If you’re using a longer USB cable to the Camera/Spotlight, then you are lucky it has worked that long… Same solution above applies. Wyze sells a outdoor plug if you do not have a wifi plug already/

Hope this helps

Greg

I am using a 15 'with each of my cameras with spotlights.

Check your settings for the spotlights, if they are set for motion only they are probably working correctly.

Thanks Greg, I just remembered I put a 9’ extension to the garage door plug.

I might try a usb power supply with a higher amperage or put a small battery close to the camera to act as a buffer.

It has to be a voltage or current drop. I doubt a higher power adapter would help. I better quality usb power cable with less impedance would probably work, but no clue how to find one.

Hint to Wyze.

I’m convinced it’s the USB splitter that’s the issue. I have 2 cams on a single power supply and both ran fine for the last 2 weeks. On one of them, I put a little electrical tape around the USB connection to the back of the light and it’s still running strong. The second cam, I did not put any additional protection on the connection to the spotlight and after a heavy rain storm last night, the spotlight is no longer working but the other one is fine. It’s the splitter cable that’s the problem.

I was one of the earlier people with this issue.
After much trial and error and watching this forum, I’ve also settled on the issue being using a USB extension cable.
Have tried a larger capacity power supply with no improvement.

If I only use the original Wyze cable, the spotlight works fine.

I’ve been hoping Wyze might come up with a solution or some guidance for those of us who want to have the light further than 6ft from an electrical supply.

I will have to try that.

Thanks for sharing, though in thinking about it, mine has failed even when there has been no rain. The tape might be enough just to tighten the connection so there is less voltage loss.

I agree with you, but so far I have heard nothing from Wyze. This is hurit their reputation in my book

I canceled most of my pre-orders out of disgust and how poorly they have managed the Android app which at times has been unusable if you had the Android 11

So, we had a storm last night and the darn thing is working again. I don’t understand it. I am sure it’s the splitter but I am in Florida and my home is in Alabama, so I am checking on it remotely. I open the cam that the spotlight stopped working on this morning and, low and behold, it’s working again. WTF?!

Assuming your USB Cable is under 9 feet, then you just need a wifi plug to reboot the camera/flash when it fails.

I live in Hillsborough County and the Power Company is Teco. I like to say that actually means Temporary Electric, so mine gets rebooted at least once a week by the power company. Twice this morning. :wink:

My Spotlight is constantly on (even during the day). But it is not recognized by the app.

My cable is longer than 25 ft.

Has anyone else experienced this condition? Is there a chance it is just a bad splitter, an issue with a long cable? I order a few other Spotlights (5 of which are fine). So I will try swapping one out in the morning. Just curious if this always-on condition is common when the Spotlight cannot be recognized. Or if this is something else perhaps.

Thanks.