SD Card Melting

What size do you use and how did you prevent the melt down
?

All of my cams run either 64GB or 128GB high endurance cards. I havenā€™t had a significant problem with any of the cams or cards. Note that Wyze only provides support for up to 32GB cards.

2 Likes

My ā€œotherā€ cams overheated from prolonged, direct sun exposure (or so the manufacturer claims). Most of my Wyze cams get the same exposure at some part of the day and a few are in constant sun during the daylight hours. I havenā€™t had a meltdown yet.

@AKV Welcome to the community! I have been using 32 GB mSD cards in all of my cams for year now, and I havenā€™t experienced any cards getting hot or melting. The success rate outweighs the failures by far. I have used different brands of cards in my cameras Samsung, SanDisk, and Wyze and none of them have melted.

I currently use Samsung Pro High Endurance Cards that are designed for video recording and I highly recommend them.

2 Likes

How did you get a 64 gig card to work?

1 Like

Iā€™ll bet the failure rate (meltdown-level) of most SD cards exceeds the failure rate of the card connections in Wyze cams. :thinking: Itā€™s really easy to mess up/misalign the contacts in a Wyze cam. Itā€™s not really clear which way the card should face upon installation and the included paper instructions donā€™t address this. It is very clear on the website, but considering how few read instructions (myself included), whoā€™d think to look on the Wyze website for directions?

1 Like

I received it from Amazon, put it in the Wyze cam SD slot, and although not really necessary, I ran the reformat card function from the Wyze app. Once the formatting was complete, I turned on Continuous Recording from the Advanced Settings menu in the Wyze app.

1 Like

128 Gig cards work fine also, but are not officially supported by Wyse. I have 128 Gig SanDisk Ultra High Endurance cards in all my cameras purchased on July 28, 2018. Just insert in camera and format within wyse cam app.

3 Likes

Insert it into the card slot.

Kidding aside, I use 64gb Sandisk Extreme cards. I simply remove the card from its packaging and insert into cam slot ā€¦ and I donā€™t format it. Personally, Iā€™ve never had to do ā€œanything specialā€ to use a 64gb card.

1 Like

Terrible smell

Welcome to the forums! Did that occur in the adapter and in a computer? Looks like the adapter has some thermal action on it also. Can you provide more info how this happened?

2 Likes

I caused a similar issue when I hastily tried removing a SanDisk SD card from its packaging. Fried the card AND the device it was in. :weary:

Am VERY careful now.

After two years of use got the same problem.