Person Detection Update: A New Experiment for Premium Features

Do you see this at the top of your Accout tab in the app?

2 Likes

It shows on my Android but not my iphone which is odd. And yes I’m showing I’m subbed til August 16, 2020. Yet I’m still with 12 second clips and 5 minute cool off. I updated both firmware and app.

2 Likes

Hmmm that’s very strange and needs to be fixed for you. @UserCustomerGwen @TinaC @WyzeTeam

@FriendofFeralCats needs help with her services

1 Like

Ticket number #695879 but seems no one knows what to do about it.

Does Account > Services > CAM Plus show on your Android? Can you click Edit on the top right corner?

I seem to be in a similar state as FriendofFeralCats

On android, I have the CAMPlus banner, says “Plus Member”, when I go to Account>Services I only see PD (Pilot) and Emergency Button (Pilot). No edit button.

I’ll add that I did cancel my CMC subscription recently so maybe something wasn’t set (reset) correctly in my account? Any ideas? Would like to evaluate PD now that it’s not tied in to the 5 minute cool down but can’t seem to do anything.

No. On both phones I see services and pilot for Person Detection and the Emergency thing which I don’t use (clumsy hands). I clicked on the Cam Plus banner at top but nothing happens.

1 Like

I see in another thread you said CS couldn’t help you. Is that correct?

Yes that is.

And I don’t even have an option to sub to Cam Plus even if I wanted to. So I really don’t understand and I also do not understand why I can’t get a resolution to this.

@WyzeTeam it was suggested on another thread that maybe I can delete this account and create a new one with same functions I paid for. Is that even possible because I have had nothing but one issue after another with my account and no follow up or resolution since before Christmas.

The only option I have is the beta link someone posted in the FB group. But then I’d have to pay for the subscription again. I really need this by tonight. I should not have to be setting timelapse on my SD card for each cam to make up for the service I’m not getting. :frowning:

Ok all. Getting help right now. Just a little update.

3 Likes

When you remove features that were key to the original purchase you run a very big risk with your customer base - it does me no good if Wyze goes out of business - I would suggest that you look very very hard before you do this as its going to leave a very sour taste in the mouth of many.

Feel free to raise prices for NEW customers but for those already with cameras you would be very foolish - especially since you have been promising FREE “person detection” as a replacement for Xnor.ai - I have remained a customer and have based my purchase of the Outdoor Cam on that promise - you have my trust but this would change that instantly - there are many players in this space so do what you must but don’t be surprised by the ramifications

9 Likes

Hi, everyone!

I’m popping by to answer a batch of the questions that have been asked in here. I also added it to the original post. Thanks for your patience! :slight_smile:

Edit on 7/30 to answer some questions that we’ve seen come up:

1. Will international customers be able to use Cam Plus? If not, when will they be able to purchase subscriptions?

A. We are looking into this but don’t currently have timelines.

1. Did you know this information before you launched your new outdoor camera?

A. We were still assessing different solutions at the time of the outdoor camera launch.

1. Will the “name your price” amount we volunteer to give be on a per customer basis or per camera basis?

A. This is a per-customer basis.

1. Is there a technical reason that such expensive processing couldn’t be done by a PC on the same LAN?

A. It’s possible but more expensive. Lots of work needed for that.

1. Why does Person Detection use the cloud rather than being Edge-based now?

A. It isn’t easy to create an Edge solution for these cameras. They have a fraction of the computing capabilities of the cloud.

1. If I do nothing, will my Wyze Cams still work the way they do now? I do not remember installing Person Detection. But I do get video when something moves in the camera view.

A. Yes, your camera will still work with all the out-of-the-box features if you do not subscribe to Cam Plus or the legacy Person Detection.

1. I’m going to subscribe to Cam Plus. So when the September update arrives, that means I don’t lose Person Detection, right?

A. Correct, you won’t lose Person Detection if you subscribe to Cam Plus.

1. Why does Person Detection cost more than regular motion detection?

A. It requires processing power to run the algorithm on the videos and it costs more to do this than to just store videos.

1. How long has Wyze known they are losing money with Person Detection?

A. Since we hired the finance guy. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. What else might happen if the volunteer contribution plan doesn’t work? Higher prices for Cam Plus? No Person Detection?

A. We’re not sure yet.

1. Just to confirm: Only the 1.3 million users who got that email will have free Person Detection? What about the people who are just buying Wyze products now?

A. People that made accounts before November 26th will have this option. That group is larger than the number of people that received the newsletter. Newer folks can purchase Cam Plus.

1. Why is it that some people get newsletters later than others or they don’t show up at all when we’ve subscribed?

A. Those newsletters may be filtered into your spam or promotions tabs. It’s also possible that the setting isn’t enabled. Please check those email areas and your Account settings in the Wyze app to see if those could be the issue.

If you are missing newsletters but you believe you should be receiving them, please contact customer support about this. In the longer-term, we’re working on an easier way for people to see and adjust their notification/subscription preferences.

1. Will Person Detection not work on devices that use microSD cards and not rely on the cloud?

A. No, the person detection algorithm is run in the cloud and will not work on microSD cards. However, you can use the cloud storage and a microSD card if you would like.

1. What will the pricing be for cloud storage for Wyze Cam Outdoor?

A. Wyze Cam Outdoor is not compatible with Cam Plus at this time but we are working on it for the future.

1. This has nothing to do with motion detection, correct?

A. Cam Plus is separate from motion detection. Motion detection will trigger the Event video that is saved on the cloud and the Person Detection algorithm is run on the existing video.

1. If I have access to the legacy Person Detection, will all of my cameras be included or just the ones I purchased before November 2019?

A. All of the cameras that your account is the primary account for will have access to the legacy Person Detection.

1. Will the cloud-based person detection perform better than the on-camera XNOR.ai?

A. We’re already seeing a high rate of success. But one of the cool things about a cloud model is that it can be updated separate from firmware updates so improvement can be made more quickly and continuously.

1. Will you enable PayPal as a payment method for premium services as has been requested multiple times by your overseas customers?

A. This is something we’re looking into but we’re being careful because of legal requirements so we don’t have a timeline at this point.

1. I don’t want Cam Plus and don’t want to have it enabled. How can I opt out of the free trial?

A. You can opt-out of the free trial by disabling it under Services in your Wyze app.

1. How are my monthly and annual subscriptions billed? Are they grouped together?

Whenever you purchase or adjust the quantity of monthly plans, you are charged a prorated amount and then they fall into the same billing cycle for next month.

Annual plans are billed at the time of purchase and will be processed again the same day each year.

4 Likes

There are two questions with one answer.
Does this mean no and maybe later?

No free 12-second person-detection is definitly an addition to the “disappointment” list.
I’ve list some of my other disappointments here and here.

I’m among those that endevour to avoid recurring costs. I’m evaluating idea of purchasing a more expensive yet fixed cost system. In the meantime I’m learing from the Eufy discussion above and experimenting with Yi Outdoor and Kami Wirefree cameras.

I don’t like the idea of using multiple apps to view all these different cameras so I’ve been using tinyCam for many years. As my Foscams have died, I’ve added Tenvis, Wyze, Yi, Kami and can view them all with tinyCam. I mention this because I had some “event” viewing issues on Yi and “initial connect” issues on Kami Wirefree. I reported these issues to @alexey.vasilyev the evening of July 28th. By the morning of July 30th I was able to download a beta version of the fixes from the Google Playstore. Reddit description.

For off-camera, local, no cloud, on your own “server”, I’ll be investigating AI object detection on motion in tinyCam.

5 Likes

Thanks Gwendolyn. I may not agree with or be happy about every answer (such as that the promises are only kept to those who joined before 11/26/19 even though the exact same promises were still actively being offered to EVERYONE buying up through 7/20/20, including myself), but regardless of my feelings or ethical beliefs, I think I speak for everyone in saying that we are extremely grateful that you (you specifically, and you generally as in Wyze) have been listening and considering and made efforts to respond and make clarifications to concerns we’ve expressed here.

I have nearly 50 Wyze products now, and will still continue to buy some more over time. I do have to be honest that I am unlikely to buy anymore cameras from Wyze that will require a subscription for PD needs though. That’s not to say I’m jumping ship at all, just that I will probably replace the few person detection needs I have with closely priced competitors such as something like Eufy ($39.99 with 2K resolution and PD) which will do it all locally with no more monthly costs. If Wyze creates a new camera (V3?) that will do it locally, I might sell off those Eufy Cams and exchange them for V3’s. Still, there’s a TON that can be done with Wyze cams even without PD, not to mention all the other awesome products! I’ll have over 50 Wyze devices before the end of the year…I’ll only have a couple of non-Wyze cams for their free PD. No big deal.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have started using TinyCam more for this same reason. It’s a GREAT APP! Also makes it so it’s not as big of a deal that I have cams from different companies. I can still see all of them at the same time on one screen. In fact, that’s a huge benefit over viewing them on the Wyze App anyway, with the Wyze App I can only view one at a time, but with TinyCam I can view a few or ALL of them at once and have it flash which ones have motion, track or zoom and all sorts of cool things, and still be able to also see other cams too. Very cool. There are some reliability issues, but overall it’s WAY convenient and helps alleviate this Wyze PD issue (in fact, TinyCam will do PD free on a Wyze cam anyway, and will still send alerts, etc…so if I need PD on some of my Wyze Cams I can just use TinyCam to do those alerts…can even have it do a webhook to do something for notifying other devices too. It’s a great solution to this issue.

4 Likes

I apologize, but I do not like Tony Cham. I do not trust the app; it was frustrating, and I do not want to give them access to all the stuff that they wish to access on your mobile device read the fine print.

Can I send my Wyze cams back and get a full refund? I bought them because of the free person detection to use them as security cams, but my account was created after the date which will be used as reference date to give users the free person detection. I even ordered 4 extra ones a few weeks ago, what makes a total of 8 Wyze cams which will be useless for me. I don’t want to pay for this option and I need it to use it as a security cam. If I need to pay a subscription per camera, it is cheaper to go for camera’s of another well known company. Please let me know which options I have to send them back. Thanks!

2 Likes

You need to call or web-chat with customer support about these kind of issues, this forum will not get you the type of answer you are looking for…but it is a good thing to have stated here in general because there will be many other people who feel the same way.

2 Likes

Yeah, I totally get that. I considered the issue and decided I didn’t really care that much…he’d never see anything that would actually worry me (I don’t have anything in bathrooms or bedrooms anyway, etc), and the developer makes so much money from the app and cloud subscriptions that they’d have to be really stupid to ruin such a good thing going for him. I mean, dude makes a huge residual income just from that…I guess I decided the odds were way in my favor with very little risk…after all, it’s not much different than trusting Wyze or Eufy who could also theoretically view my cameras.

Still, I totally get it. We shouldn’t have to rely on 3rd parties for solutions that we should expect to see firsthand with better privacy guarantees and encryption.

2 Likes