Person Detection Update: A New Experiment for Premium Features

You said the “A” word! :grimacing: I’m telling Mom!!! Moooooommmmmm!

4 Likes

Frioend in Jesus-3737-61096

(NOT endorsing or mocking any religion, or magazine subscription, just enjoying life)

3 Likes

Oh yes do a search on here, been a problem for a long time. If you lose intenet to the cams so they can’t reach

wyze in 1.5 hours they will stop working. Even if your wifi is working (which becomes an intranet vs internet) between things on your network, it has to be in contact with wyse.

With no internet you can’t use app or get 12 sec recordings to wyze servers of course. But the continuous record should keep working since it is done in the camera, provided cams still have power.

It use to work early on. After a couple years of complaining they said they fixed it. I checked my cams and no fix. However the cam I can’t get out if RTSP doesn’t stop recording.

It jas been a few months since the ‘fix’ but i stopped worrying about it. So if something changed recently, i could be wrong.

If you want to check your cams. Turn on continuous record. Turn your modem off. Wait 2 hours then pull SD card and check recordimgs on computer. After 1.5 hours there shouldn’t be recordimgs.

Oh also, after I turned internet back on, I had to cycle power to cams to get them to reconnect.

1 Like

I wasn’t really looking for an explanation but thanks.
The sentance I quoted made no sense.

1 Like

1 Like

As an experienced firmware programmer, I “firmly” believe a firmware solution is the best solution. The “HOG” person detection algorithm, widely used in the industry, can be “pre-tuned” so you need very little AI code. The Ingenic Semiconductor processor uses 512 MBits of memory which is perhaps 50 times more memory than needed to add a pre-tuned algorithm to the existing code. Stating that cloud image processing is required indicates to me that Wyze has lost its technical edge and is now being managed by bean-counters rather than skilled engineers.

6 Likes

After you mentioned it twice, it finally sank in enough for me to look up. You mean this?

http://mccormickml.com/2013/05/09/hog-person-detector-tutorial/

Seriously interesting reading (even if I mostly looked at the graphs and pictures), but you’re absolutely right, a rocket surgeon and cloud AI should not be needed to implement this very cool stuff!

Thanks for the posts!

:+1: :+1:

5 Likes

This is terrible. I wasn’t aware that local SD recordings would stop if my internet went down for an extended period. This is enough to make me stop using WYZEcams if confirmed. Can anyone else confirm this? WYZE, can we get an explanation for this? If my cameras have power, they should be able to continue recording to the SD card regardless of internet connection. If they can’t do this WYZE needs to make that clear because that’s a serious issue. Usually whole neighborhoods are serviced by the same internet provider and have outagages at the same time. So, theoretically, other people in the neigborhood would know exactly when most WYZECams in the neighborhood will stop recording due to an internet outage.

1 Like

It’s completely doable. WYZE could have an easy path to stay in business and make a nice profit or they can continue to gamble that they will be able to get a lot of subscribers onboard while exponentially increasing their costs.

It’s true. I noticed this because whenever I lose internet for an extended period (either from the ISP having an outage, or my router having some issue), I have large blank spots of nothing recorded at all on any of my cams’ SD cards for that period even though I have them set to record 24/7. I didn’t know the limit was 1.5 hrs though, I thought it shut off recording MUCH sooner than that…I could have sworn sometimes it was off way less time than that when recording shut down, but perhaps that was because it took me a while to notice in the first place.

You’re right, all it takes is for someone to know that knocking out internet kills the Wyze Cams…that’s why when I saw someone trying to sell some sign advertising that their house was protected by Wyze (like people do for other home security companies), I just shook my head and wondered why on earth anyone would want to announce what your home security weaknesses are…crazy. All I would do is put a general security sign, not the exact brand so they easily know all the weaknesses and can easily bypass it.

I agree, they really need to make this a priority, at the very least for V3.

1 Like

This is worrisome in regards to WYZE staying in business. We should at least be able to keep using our cameras to record to an SDCard and continue to use our sensors if WYZE should go under. Normally I might not have so many reservations about a company, but WYZE has not shown they are prone to making “wise” business decisions.

1 Like

As Woody would say, :notes: You’ve got a friend in me! :notes:

2 Likes

There is a lot crammed into the firmware already. Is it really the consensus that no one at Wyze has ever heard of HOG? Is it really the prevailing thought that the numerous camera makers struggling with person detection including high end cameras with far better processors and lots more memory have just blindly ignored this lovely so easy to implement solution that is freely available?

Did Apple just spend millions buying a company that does this when they could have just used the freely available HOG?

Gee I wonder why? Especially since it’s free and so wonderfully easy to implement?

Ah well, I have a phone call appointment with a Nigerian Prince in exile. He needs my help moving 100’s of millions of the royal treasury out of the country and picked me to help because of my excellent bank account!

2 Likes

As new user I had person detection and CMC on but was getting no notifications. Was told by support to turn it off as it was a flaw in the system (or something along those lines) that notifications didn’t work with it :woman_shrugging:t2: After turning off, I get notification even for shadow moving. Is that going to be fixed? Obviously notification and event recording must work with person detection…?

I also don’t understand how recording every motion that’s exists doesn’t cost more on cloud than recording only actual person motion

I just added a new camera and still show pilot and not what you show on photo.

1 Like

You can crank down the size of the detection zone and you can reduce sensitivity. That’s about it other than person detection (or using a PIR / passive infrared sensor with the camera, which might be necessary for you). A PIR sensor comes in the Wyze sensor kit if you have that.

The reason it costs Wyze more for PD is that “cloud” storage is cheaper than the “cloud” computing power needed to do the person analysis for each uploaded clip.

My internet was down for 8 hours 3 weeks ago and it still recorded on my SD card that entire time. Naturally if power was out I couldn’t view anything. Also I was able to pull up live events way past 4 hours of no internet. Maybe it changed since you tried last or I have magical cams? You just don’t get anything uploaded to the cloud. You don’t see the blue lines on the SD card when you playback and you can’t view playback until internet is back up unless you pull out the card but it still recorded (from my experience)

1 Like

I get a lot of conflicting info in this forum. :grin:
One person says most cameras process PD onboard and others say most do not.

From what I’ve read here Person Detection was just a small part of what Apple bought.

Well, they appearantly just figured out that they needed a finance guy. :slight_smile:

Good luck with the Prince.

2 Likes

Right. You aren’t using the beta version of the app.
It was just a heads up to WYZE to fix it before it’s released to the masses.

2 Likes

Thanks. Wanted to make sure as I’m easily confused. lol

1 Like