Person Detection Update: A New Experiment for Premium Features

Come on, if China sales are blocked we’re not going to be seeing any Wyze / Xiaomi hardware sold either, except for whatever is already in warehouses and shipping containers. Or Apple hardware for that matter. Anything can (and has) happen but it seems unlikely.

Unlikely? Maybe. A year ago would you have thought 60% of restaurants permanently shutting down as likely? Or a huge chunk of jobs world wide disappearing as likely?

Apple is already moving production out of China to India, Europe, and the US and even acquiring large amounts of commercial property in Korea and Japan and looking at Vietnam.

Tis uncertain times in an uncertain world. Hopefully no giant changes in the offing. But I for one am making sure I have alternatives or cloud independent critical systems and devices. Not in a rush, and not building a bunker :grinning: but just being careful.

4 Likes

Nope, $240 a year for 10 years is $2400 but I get the point.

My dog seems to be digging a bunker in the back yard - he tells me he’s just being careful, but I have my doubts about what’s he’s really up to…
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But, on topic, and not advocating for any side, the current geopolitical environs certainly lead to slight concern about any international cloud services. Web sites and services can vanish in the blink of an eye or the click of a mouse. I know, I have done it (accidentally). One reason I really enjoyed the discussions about running cams completely locally!

1 Like

@UserCustomerGwen
!!WAIT!!
We’re already feeling the ramifications of this situation, and we’re NOT liking it,

We’ve been using the Ai… person detection… whatever since it was introduced.

(1) Are you calling the “beta” version the one Wyze had started developing?

(2) I don’t know if we started it up on every one of our cameras, but was our intention. I don’t know if that means we have it on all our cameras, the ones associated with our account (email address) or what?

(3) And what I really want to know is… what happened to our person detection… NOW. All in the last week or two - it’s no longer working on any cameras, especially and specifically on ones we KNOW we had it set to use. (door entrances) I thought it wasn’t supposed to end until September?

This isn’t looking well at all for at least our relationship with Wyze. First having to pay for extra time… with complete motion. And now person detection potentially be fee based after your promise?? … which then I can see - you may attach a further fee of adding complete motion to person detection? Is that the plan??

Additionally - this all doesn’t even mention anything about how all of this will affect any future Wyze products!! Including just a few of the new recent products you have some-thirty products in the works.

What fees will we be looking at?

2 Likes

…as would a small ad in the video.

Same here - on holding off on ANY further purchases!

Had I known this info when they were basically getting backing for the outdoor cam - I would NOT have purchased it!

I know early buyers are able to get more outdoor cameras, too, supposedly before anyone else. I will NOT be one of those buyers either.

And only NOW after buying the stupid thing - I find out they’re not even going to be person detection capable! Why not? They probably discovered the cost issue before the release so they withheld the function. That’s no better either though.

YEa… me, TOO! Won’t be buying or backing anytime soon.

2 Likes

i am actually worried about wyze when i read news about WINK.

If there is one thing that is a certainty in these times it’s that things do change. The rhetoric flowing between China and the US is unsettling at the least. Hopefully it’s just posturing and bluffs. Personally I don’t think either country stands to gain much from any real conflict. And both would loose a lot!

But other companies both US and those based overseas have left customers with glorified paper weights. So I am more and more gun shy over anything that requires a cloud connection. Also for privacy and security concerns. Anything in your house that reaches outside your network is a potential security leak.

3 Likes

Yup. I know you’re counting on Eufy and HomeBridge. I’ll wait until, and if, it all falls down and then deal with RTSP firmware and HomeAssistant… and/or plunk down the very few hundred dollars for a real, genuine, no kidding, fully baked security camera setup with NVR and @$@# all the wireless and “cloud” nonsense.

3 Likes

So much for keeping your commitments to the customers who helped you grow your company.

I just bought a new beach house in NJ and was getting ready to order a bunch of Wyze Cams and Pans, I am now glad I didn’t.

I will now be buying a eufyCam system for the new house, and if it meets my need I will be switching my other homes to eufyCam and disposing of my Wyze cams.

The reason I bought the twenty Wyze cams that I have deployed currently between 4 houses (two in PA, one in NJ and one in FL) was the lack of a subscription fee.

Best of luck to everyone who works at Wyze, I hope whoever acquires you after his huge business mistake gives you a nice severance package.

5 Likes

I have twenty cameras currently deployed between 4 residences, a per camera fee the death nail in the coffin of my relationship with Wyze.

6 Likes

Did you hire the “finance guy” on your own?

Or was he pushed on you by the private equity firm that you got your last round of funding from?

Either way, enjoy polishing this turd and backpedaling while keeping a smile on your face.

2 Likes

That would keep me on board, Revise the hub to handle the processing and stop all uploads to the cloud.

If you can’t stop all uploads to the cloud, then have user options of what cameras upload what type of detection selected in the app.

There’s no reason to have all my Cams upload bugs when motion is detected, Two cameras are critical for person detect in my case and those don’t need to be cloud processed, do it in the hub and I’ll be buying hubs… but they have to support all my current cameras.

The whole premise of owning Wyze Cams was simplicity. Get the new hub for outdoor cams revised to handle PD.

2 Likes

That’s how it was originally. They had an AI on the camera that did the person detection, and it worked perfectly. Then, they took it off. They were paying royalties to some other company that added the AI feature to the camera. I don’t know the specifics, but I think it would be worth bringing it back.

1 Like

I don’t understand all the whining…person detection was not a feature at launch, it was a added feature among many others that they never had to develop in the 1st place.

Even the product page does not list PD as a feature: Wyze Cam v3 | Wired Security Camera

so the bottom line is, you bought a cam at a great price & you’re getting what you paid for.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the company that developed the on-camera person detection called Xnor.ai was bought out by Apple, so they had to remove that software intellectual property from the cameras. I bet there’s some patent protection that made it difficult for Wyze to replicate that code in house, so unfortunately they had to switch to cloud based PD, which is much more expensive to operate.

I’m getting ready to make a video axing this cameras and upload to YouTube just for the fun of it when wyze starts slapping adds to the system.

That’s correct. They used Xnor.ai to do this. Apple bought Xnor and that meant Wyze had to create their own PD. But they made it cloud based. I wish Wyze made their own PD on camera firmware.

2 Likes

True it was not available at launch but Wyze said they were adding this feature and they did with Xnor.ai. After Apple bought Xnor Wyze wanted to continue PD so they said they would make their own and it would continue to be free.

Now Wyze says they can’t afford the PD for free. So… some users are complaining that we shouldn’t have been told free PD when now it may not be free. Also some people don’t want to pay subscriptions for things that were said to be free.

1 Like