Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

As I’m waiting for the new Wyze outdoor camera, I thought I’d share my simple setup using Wyze Cam v2, a PoE setup running 400 feet for power, and a styrofoam fake tree limb.

11 Likes

Apart from perhaps thinking an angled limb might have blended better, looks fantastic.

Also, a great demo of how easy and efficient it can be to use POE.

This is fantastic! 400 feet? Do you have the cable protected at all? Would love to see some build pictures and learn more about this solution! Nice work!

Also with an injector like that, if you don’t need data can you run PoE from that box to whatever it is you are trying to power without the ethernet cable going back to your router or other power supply?

TP-LINK TL-PoE150S PoE Injector Adapter, IEEE 802.3af Compliant, up to 100 Meters (325 Feet) Amazon.com

I believe this is what he used or something very similar. You still need to plug it in and it would still have to be connected to your router or switch to get the ethernet going.

@UserCustomerGwen, any updates on the release of the outdoor cam? I was excited for the 2019 release that got pushed out, hoping it’s soon. If you can provide any new details like pricing that would be a nice bonus.

1 Like

Hi, @joshme. The outdoor camera is still in testing. Wyze has never released prices for a product until Early Access for it has been announced. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We’ll be making an update post about the products we’re working on in the near future so I won’t give further details right now. However, DreadPirateRush is correct that we are unlikely to release the price point before the EA announcement.

10 Likes

Will there be a water proof pan and tilt product? I plan on using both types. Fixed for door and other entry points and a pan and tilt to track driveway and curb with tracking.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of one in the plans at this point. But Wyze is planning on an announcement about new products sometime pretty soon, so perhaps we’ll hear something then.

6 Likes

I’m just using an Ethernet cable running on top of the ground. There is always the risk of it getting broken by an animal, etc but it would be very easy to find and repair.

I’m only using the power from the PoE, not the internet. The WiFi on the camera is picking up the wireless signal just fine. (Obviously, you could integrate a remote router into this type of setup but I don’t need it).

The housing I’m using is something I found on clearance at a retail store (Michaels or JoAnn???).

1 Like

I haven’t heard about that yet but it would be cool! I could see a moving camera being harder to waterproof, though.

3 Likes

There are IP66 compliant PTZ Wifi cameras on the market now. Very few are google and or Alexa capable. They are wire powered.

1 Like

Are there any updates on the Wyze Outdoor Camera?

2 Likes

Some folks can’t see that update because it’s in the Early Access area. :slight_smile:

@jls4wheeler, we are making progress but it’s still in beta testing. We’ll have a more detailed update posted next week.

3 Likes

I removed that link. Thanks, Gwendolyn! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK thanks

1 Like

This makes me sad to hear that the outdoor camera will use PIR. I absolutely love the Wyze cams, and one of the biggest reasons is the visual motion detection instead of PIR. I have other cameras that are PIR and they are nowhere near as good as Wyze BECAUSE of this. PIR does not detect motion near as well as visual motion detection. The distance that PIR detects is incredibly poor, like 30ft or less. I’ve used them before and they usually don’t even go all the way across my front yard.

I guess I’ll just stick with using the “indoor” Wyze cameras outside. I’ve had good luck with that.

2 Likes

Is the outdoor camera going to have person detection? I hope so because that would really be a bummer if it does not. Also if you choose to plug in the camera for continuous power can you have the camera record 24/7?

1 Like