New Wyze Sense as a Standalone Hub and Sensor System

Mixed messages… You can use the hub and sensors at a basic level without monitoring. But the siren, tunes, etc. are part of HMS and as far as I can tell aren’t accessible or usable without a subscription.

So, if it’s the same hardware can you get the cheaper units with the HMS then cancel the service and have a standalone setup?

Don’t think you need to cancel anything. Has to do with how you add them to the account. If you don’t use the HMS setup you can add the hub and sensors like any other Wyze device through the add device process.

I purchased the HMS starter kit on sale for $49.99 or so specifically to get the Wyze Sense Hub to use with Motion Sensors and Entry Sensors. The jury is still out, as I’ve had some hiccups with the Hub continuing to go offline.

That said, is there any compelling reason to add the Keypad to the system if one is not using HMS? Mine’s still in the Box gathering dust, as I saw nothing that it would be used for without HMS (which I have no need for)

SJ

The Keypad is for HMS, so if you are not using that then the Keypad can be left in the box. I would remove any batteries from it, though.

1 Like

The main issue, IMO, is that you have to run it in “test mode” and this deactivates other useful features in addition to the Noonlight notification.

Good Morning holocron,

In my case, I have no need for the Noonlight notification or HMS features.

I simply need the Sense Hub to install entry sensors and motion sensors in order to set rules in Wyze (or use Amazon Alexa Routines) to turn lights off/on when motion is sensed, or an entry door sensor triggers a light when a door opens.

I’ve never placed the device in test mode. I simply took it out of the box, added the Wyze Sense Hub under 'Add Device"

I’ve purchased two more motion senors since then, and will be purchasing additonal motion sensors and entry sensors in the future.

Wyze should sell a package with just the Wyze Sense Hub and a three entry sensors and three motion sensors as a ‘starter package’

I’ll bet Wyze sell more sensors this way, than the current way where they force us to purchase the HMS starter kit, in order to get a Wyze Sense Hub.

SJ

1 Like

Does anyone know what exactly does not work without the HMS plan? I’ve purchased the hub and some sensors + I have 4 Cam V3s. I’m not in the US, so home monitoring does not make any sense for me, I just need a standalone security system. So at first I misread the description and thought HMS plan INCLUDED up to 5 Cam Plus subscriptions, but now I know that it’s only one and I have to pay for other cameras. So now I’m thinking to cancel the HMS subscription (30 days have not passed yet) and investing that money into Cam Plus subscriptions. The only question is what will work and what won’t after the HMS subscription is disabled. Here’s what I need:

• Sensors Working (motion, entry, climate)
  • Notifications Working
  • Rules Working
  • Disarmed/Home/Away working, but I don’t need a keypad, Wyze app is OK

Would be great if you will share your experience. Thanks

Everything else works. The arm/disarm is part of the HMS and is meaningless without it.

1 Like

is there documentation and videos how to setup sense hub with sensors without HMS?

I am a big fan of so I encourage often for people to look on YouTube. I like different perspectives and experiences on setting up new stuff. Often something someone’s hiccup is someone’s secret trick.

No real trick to it. Just click add device on the home page, choose the sensor category and select the hub. After the hub is installed do the same for the sensors.

1 Like

New wyze sense entry sensor now requires hub and security subscription fee either monthly or annual. The old setup did not require a subscription and only provided notifications to my phone. Would like to get the new sensors with the option to subscribe or not to a subscription. Hove the new sensors work the same as the old. This way I can get rid of the bridges and old Ver 1 cameras and replace them with the new Ver 3 cameras I current have sitting in the basement. The hub and new sensors is all that I want, not the subscription service. If I have to be forced into a subscription fee, then I will have to return 6 Ver 3 cameras and their associated parts, and go with a different vendor. Do not like being forced into a needless subscription fee.

[Mod Note]: Your request was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping similar requests. Please remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button. You may also wish to comment on and/or vote for Wyze Home Monitoring: Self Monitored Mode ASAP.

1 Like

Same here , i really don’t want the keypad and the HMS subscription that’s forced but you don’t need to use it .

You can cancel the subscription and use the sensors and hub without the subscription. You just won’t be able to use the keypad to arm the system and use the hub as an alarm but I doubt you’ll need to anyway

Kinda hate having to do the workaround just for the sense kit , which is all I want but Wyze is really pushing their HMS

1 Like

I am doing this now, and have never paid a subscription fee for the Sensor Hub with the Entry Sensor V2s and the Motion Sensor V2s (purchased a starter system, and set it up and was never forced to subscribe to the security service). (I was fortunate to take advantage of that starter system on sale at home depot at the time for $49.99,)

It came with the Wyze Sense Hub, One Motion Sensor, and two Entry Sensors, and the keypad (which is of no value)

Paying the current price of $99, I would not of paid that at the time… $49.99 was what got me to pull the trigger at the time)

I’ve purchased three more entry sensors and three more motion sensors later.

Agreed, Wyze is missing an opportunity here of packaging these items separately from a monitored security system setup. The need a "starter package’ of just the Sense Hub, and include at least one or two of each of the sensors that work with the Wyze Sense Hub, along with one white Wyze Light Bulb and one Wyze Color Light Bulb (MINUS the keypad, MINUS the subscription to the security service)

I use rules with my sensors to turn on/off lights based on various things that my sensors are detecting. i.e. Flash a light Red when the Refrigerator has been left open for > 3 minutes.

SJ

5 Likes

It doesn’t, but it sure looks like it does. :neutral_face: I sure wish they would change this.

The Hub can be bought alone ($30), but they automatically add the security subscription. Not a game ender, tho. Go with the 1 month subscription, then cancel the subscription. The remainder of the 1 month will be refunded to you if you used the Wyze web site to order. Other methods/sites may not offer a refund, but would still cancel your subscription.

You do not need the license to monitor sensors yourself. You need that only for professionally-monitored security. Without that license the sensors just act like the old V1 Sense System, but with battery backup on the Hub. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you take it out of test mode?

Test mode only applies if you have an HMS subscription. If you are going to have the subscription you need to check with your local authorities to see if you need an alarm license as well.

2 Likes

I did not ask about any of that.

You asked:

I answered:

You’re welcome.