New 2.6 Beta App and Firmware released!

I use a Samsung S4 Active with Android 5.0.1, and prior to yesterday used the Wyze
Android Beta App 2.5.36 (I think), with FW 4.9.4.169 on V2 cameras and 4.10.3.169 on Pan cameras. Yesterday (10/23) I updated the Android Beta App to 2.6.26, the V2 FW to 4.9.5.13 and the Pan FW to 4.10.5.13 This new Android Beta App 2.6.26 crashes very frequently into either a white screen (from which it occasionally recovers on its own by going into the Wyze Home screen), or most often crashes into a black screen, which freezes the phone, and I then have to clear RAM and restart the App. Similar crashes occurred with the prior Android Beta App, but not as frequently as the new App 2.6.26 I know this is a Beta version, but my experience tells me the new Beta App is not functioning in a reliable manner.

If you add an SD card and turn on continuous or event SD card recording your videos are local. You can always just use continuous recording and turn off event recording entirely if you want to avoid cloud usage.

@nerdland,

Yes, Iā€™ve observed an almost total loss of footage whether operating within GA or beta releases of the app. The common denominator is always cam pan firmware beyond v4.10.3.40.

Smart alerts work fine, but footage triggered by the cams themselves basically went extinct.

R. Bruce,

While this is true, continuous recording is far less convenient for the reason I mentioned aboveā€¦ makes it more cumbersome to search for relevant footage since most of what gets recorded is static inactivity. Hence your uninterrupted aqua timelinesā€¦ :slight_smile: I had come to trust event-based recordings as good logical waypoints at which to begin searching & viewing. IMO, continuous mode defeats the camsā€™ ability to detect motion and record thusly only those events. My frustration is that event recording had been working perfectly for me and was then bolloxed.

PS - To reiterate, Iā€™ve installed 32gb microSD cards in every single cam (13 total in 3 states) that Iā€™ve deployed. Iā€™d never go purely cloud; need some local control, bruh :wink:

I can confirm freezes , crashes , the 2.6.26 app just doesnā€™t run good at all, basically unusable, on my Samsung S4 with Android 5.0.1, , Iā€™m running Firmware V4.9.4.108 on the V2ā€™s

I just made a lengthy post under the Beta tag Re the new V2 FW and Pan FW released recently. I think I should flash back to the .108 firmware for both my V2 and Pan cameras, and install the production Android App until this ā€œbad behaviorā€ gets corrected.

1 Like

I always hold out the local SD option when the conversation drifts towards who owns the rights or the fact that Wyze is going to monetize cloud recording (pretty sure they are, also pretty sure they will continue to offer the current free model). People that worry about rights to footage or if a for profit company might monetize something tend to do better with traditional ā€œdumbā€ security/surveillance camera systems that donā€™t have any internet connectivity. :grin::grin::grin:

Like these.

1 Like

LMAO @rbruceporter,

You ainā€™t tryna upsell me on them affordably-priced dumbcams are ya, patnah?

:grinning:

1 Like

Nah! Not enough margin on those! :kissing:

Haā€¦ Maybe if you could buy them with CAD and sell them for USD.

For the record, I have zero concerns about footage rights, monetizing, etc. Waaaay back in the day I had some law background. Mainly curious how ownership would be arbitrated in a dual-custody model like Wyze or other webcam systems, especially with the new CMC deployment increasing cloud dependency. Iā€™d wager that it varies somewhat by jurisdiction compounded by interstate considerations.

oh, thatā€™s a different issue than mine. with mine, no actual footage is lost, but highlighting in the app is super spotty so it can be difficult to find where footage exists if iā€™m not using continuous mode.

1 Like

Considering itā€™s end-to-end encrypted, I donā€™t see how they could possibly own it.

1 Like

I thankfully do not have a legal background but I was a Cop way back in the 80ā€™s. And I do have friends and relatives that are legal types. We donā€™t invite them to many things but we do love em! :wink:

Seriously lawyers can and do argue about exactly what ā€œisā€ is. So itā€™s safe to say if someone wanted to argue ownership and they had enough money they could do so.

Cloud storage and the ownership niceties it brings up are sure to be addressed in the TOS and just as surely open to legal interpretation which really devolves to who can afford the most lawyers and possibly court time.

So thatā€™s when I always bring up those good old ā€œdumbā€ systems and say if all of that concerns someone they are free to vote with their wallet and buy them. :joy:

But I donā€™t think itā€™s really an issue but thatā€™s my 2 cents. YMMV.

1 Like

Not trying to venture too far off-track here, but there is also a difference between encrypted transmissions vs. data-at-rest. And then a question of who owns the actual host storage systems.

At the risk of going too esoteric, this discussion raised some interesting points:

LOL, I just read a lot of case law as a criminal justice major. I ainā€™t no hair-splitting ambulance chaser.

Funny you mention thisā€¦ Iā€™ve suspected at times that Iā€™ve been experiencing a simple lack of highlighting at recorded areas in the playback timeline. And Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve come across actual footage even where none is indicated. Definitely not something Iā€™ve observed consistently though and lots of stuff simply isnā€™t there when I slide the bar around. Lately, the app seems to disconnect so frequently that its hard to know if Iā€™ve got a good control test in place.

Gonna keep spot-checking though. Never know what I might discover.

Fair enough. It may only be the transmission thatā€™s end-to-end encrypted. Iā€™m not 100% sure about that. As for the host storage system, the recordings are stored on AWS. But Amazon doesnā€™t own data just because itā€™s stored on AWS.

The linked discussion is quite different. Thatā€™s talking a transmission between two people, in which you are fully aware that the other person is receiving the transmission. Itā€™s a pretty different scenario than a personal device in which youā€™d have a reasonable expectation that no one else would be looking at it. The more apt comparison might be who owns the rights if you knowingly share your account information with someone else.

Anyway, Iā€™m quite sure that Wyze has made no attempt to claim any rights on videos produced by its users cameras.

1 Like

Hey all, Am I missing a topic for the New Firmware? 4.10.5.17 and App 2.6.33 (Android) Usually I see one when its released. Just checking, as when I search it did not come up.

They did post in the beta section of Facebook but with everything going on today they must have missed here, however I gave someone else the info in this thread:

1 Like

Thanks @WyzeJasonJ Yeah they did have a bit going on today so that makes sense, Just making sure I was not missing anything :slight_smile: