Need Wi-Fi enabled plug. Is Wyze Plug way to go?

Yes sir, not a problem at all.

I have a dumb question for you. I’m new to all this home automation so bear with me. If the router is connected to one of this smart plugs, and it goes offline for whatever the reason, how do you reboot it? The plug will be invisible as the router is offline???

1 Like

Hi. Never a dumb question. Happy to bear with you. Give it NOT another thought. We are all always learning more. Just want you to have the opportunity to expand your knowledge as you learn more.

First I answer your question. If your router is down, then it can’t pass the communications to the smart plug to reboot. Yes, during that time the router is down, the plug would be invisible to it. There are some things you can do to reduce the possible down time.

In case you didn’t already know, sometimes a router still has power, but needs to be restarted. If you are not there to do it, its nice to have a sneaky way to do it when needed. There are some smart plugs that come back to the last powered position they were when they loose connection/power. So, for instance, you could put one like this on a router, and tell the plug to turn off at a scheduled time and because the schedule/time settings are stored in the smart plug, it knows to turn off, then back on whenever you set it, and come back to the last state. Some of these, you could set to do it daily or weekly, just for good measure to have your router restart in advance.

Some smart plugs have features built in that you can set. One setting generally called “Power-on State” has three choices. Off, On, or Last State. So when plugged in or power comes back on, it remembers what to do. So, if for instance you have a smart plug with this setting set to “On”, when power comes back it could turn make sure your router turns back on, or the WiFi plug turns a camera back on.

Every smart plug I have seen as a button to manually turn it off or on. But advanced features can simply turn the smart plug back on automatically when plugged in or power is restored.
Not all smart plugs do that.

Useful info?

2 Likes

Very useful. Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In your opinion, is it smart to leave a modem and router running in an unheated building over winter in -20-30 degrees celsius? I know the Wyze v3 at home has no issues with those temperatures.

Yes, no problem. In my opinion. Would not worry at all.

I’ve noticed that most smart plugs are only 10Amps. I’m planning to plug in my computer/Plex server on one so I can remotely kill the power in case it freezes. The computer is set up to come back to its previous state in case of power failure. I think the power supply is 12 Amps. This will be an issue!!???

Huh? I’ve never seen one under 15 Amps, including Wyze’s. I would have thought code would require it to feature that 5-15 outlet.

2 Likes

Mine are only 10amp. But, I am only using them for low draw applications like cams.

I think the smaller round “button” plugs are lower Amps while the larger bricks are rated higher.

1 Like

I like these. I have several other manuf, including Wyze, Gosund, and Samsung. I’ve had Wemo, and gave them to family.

15 Amp with power monitoring and that Power-On State Off/On/Last State

15 Amp Zigbee version

15 Amp non-Zigbee (Lite) Cheaper but no power consumption details

available on Amazon and Itead.cc

1 Like

On anybody’s smart plugs, I’ve not seen any details or specs that describe the features available in the firmware, until you own and install the smart plug and look at its properties.

That is my problem. The larger brick type won’t fit in my weatherproof outlet box. I saw this ones, not sure how good they are.

Need to do some research…

1 Like

:+1:

@habib, I think if you will scoll up/down, you will see that 'goofy combo" of stuff I used to make my smart plug. Update for you. I got the 1 foot 3 prong extension cord from Amazon. I cut into the insulation and cut the L and N wires. and wired in that Basic RFR2 that you see in the picture. Tight fit. I closed up the cut insulation with liquid tape, and let the ground wire continue to connect both plugs. (This is a fish pond pump, so, I would rather the ground still work).

I had to cut some plastic on the plugs to allow the cord to fold better than without cutting. It fit. It was a very tight fit, but the 3 prong male & female plugs attached to that Basic RFR2 fits into Weatherproof Single Outlet cover Receptacle that you too are using. Barely but works.

1 Like

And not that it makes a difference but to me. This Basic is the Basic RFR2. That the 2nd version of a RF smart wifi switch. I like and spread the RF version around my house -everywhere. It allows me to use a Sonoff 8-button RF switch to turn ceiling fan/light, bath light, TV, night table lamp, kitchen, stuff off with 1) app, 2) voice, 3) RF Remote and 4) manually. Could get by with less, but it makes it interesting to try.

@habib and @SlabSlayer I just remembered, there’s a mini version of a smart switch that would serve you better than the Basic. Its called the MiniR2, half the size of the Basic. Check its (speces) lol specs https://sonoff.tech/product/diy-smart-switch/minir2/

1 Like

Looking at this female plug, you see that round collar/reinforcement at the cord, narrow/smaller than plug with ribs. I used a blade and cut that off. It allows me a tighter bend of the cord against the plug’s main body. This allowed me more room to tuck the entire goofy gadget into the cover.

Sam-Bam, thanks for going above and beyond on helping me out. The Basic configuration that you are suggesting is way to complicated for me. Also, it only offers solution for one plug (unless I am missing something.

I think I am going with Kasa Smart plugs by TP-Link. It’s a good deal for four plugs and reviews are not to bad.
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Reliable-Connection-Assistant-HS103P4/dp/B07RCNB2L3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thanks for all your help.

1 Like

Look elsewhere, the Wyze plugs are hobbyist toys and not reliable enough for your use case. I have the first and second generation plugs and I routinely find plugs falling off the wifi randomly and have to delete and re-add them.

I use 2/3 different versions of Kasa. One receptacle and 8-10 HS103 and HS105 plugins. Easy setup/changes and they ALWAYS comes back by themselves after WiFi or power interruption. Other peoples continuing problems with Wyze has steered me away from even considering Wyze.

Thanks for reinforcing my decision to go with Kasa