My Wyze Cam V3 died in the rain

Hello, People.
Concerning the Back Cap and Helmet in post 38, my intent for the Back Cap was for it to be used alone and caulked on - not glued - that way it could be removed if the camera was relocated.
As for the Helmet, some Command Tape could be placed between the top of camera and its top inside surface. Before locking down the Helmet on the camera, you may want to slip it backwards about 2mm to create a space between the back of the camera and the Helmet.
How well does top curved corners of the Hemet and the Back Cap fit that of the camera? For me measuring the outside curvature radius is difficult. I may reduce the Helmet’s free clearance to 0.5mm and issue another STL file.
Otherwise he prints appear to be nicely done.
Thank you for sharing your pictures.

1 Like

Hello, People and @StuartG .
When I set up the STL file for a Helmet to protect the V3 from direct rain, I did not give any thought to it muffling the speakers. I have increased the length of the helmet by 5mm to allow for a 5mm air gap between the end of the helmet and the back surface of the V3. Also, the 1mm of clearance has been removed to create a sung fit. The image below shows the modified version Helmet Mod 2.stl.

Helmet Mod 2

Below is a link to the corresponding print file:
Helmet Mod 2.stl

Victor Maletic.

3 Likes

Hello, People.
I just got back from the library with my 3D print. The only color they had that I wanted was black. It fit without any slop. The third picture shows a 5mm back clearance to help with sound transmission.
See pictures below:

1-20210422_121542

3 Likes

Hi, I’m back, to finally respond to the revised models, Victor, you mention a “stop” to make space for the speaker. I didn’t see it in the new design, but I independently thought that it could use a block or ridge at the top back so the helmet wouldn’t sit completely against the back. Is that what you meant? Something like the marked-up image I uploaded. I don’t care about the speaker, but for universal use, this would be good.

Also, for my purposes, having less of an overhanging bonnet produces less glare with the IR view.

A colleague who has a 3D printer has been helping me a bit, willing to print them. His aren’t as thick as the one I got from the library, and I can remove strings/strips of plastic from the front to make it shorter, so — when I actually remember — I’ll shorten it manually to see if it improves the glare.

2 Likes

Yes StuartG, that is what I had in mind. A spacer could have been incorporated into the print file. Gluing in or taping in a small piece of material to serve as a spacer is all that is needed. The longer the spacer the shorter the forward overhang of the helmet. No need for trimming. Perhaps there is some kind of tape or coating that can be applied to the underside of the helmet forward edge to absorb or reflect the infrared?

Victor Maletic.

1 Like

So did you get a free warranty replacement

For what it’s worth, I have a v3 facing straight up at the sky, no protection, been cooking in the sun, torrential downpours, small hail lol. I’m impressed.

2 Likes

You guys are making this awfully complicated. The IP rating indicates that rain storms should not cause any harmful ingress of water into the unit…period. The rating also indicates that mounting position is irrelevant.

Mine has been mounted outdoors with no protection on a bird feeder. It goes through week-long rains and thunderstorm downpours with no problems. So if yours got water in it, it’s not a design flaw, it’s not mounted wrong–it’s a fluke and you simply need to ask for a warranty replacement if you’re within the time period.

Mine is outside under an eave and with recent downpours has managed to fill with water. Was also pointing slightly downwards and rain got in through the grill holes on the back. are those holes for the speaker or for heat/cooling? If it’s just for the speaker I’ll cover them over.

Do a warranty replacement at Wyze

The grille is just for the speaker.

Cover it speaker,ee have that camera in the desert and its gets o er 122 in the shade,but there in direct sun and have no issues

don’t think I can, I’m in Australia and Wyze don;t sell here, I bought it on Amazon…

thanks

good to know, thanks!

You have 30 day return from Amazon i believe, thats what we have in the U.S

1 Like

Yes you can cover the speaker holes, but should not have to. It has a water penetration rating of IP65. It should withstand rain coming from any angle. Hope you can get a return on it.

1 Like

I had about a third of the units out in the elements / rain fail so far. Mine get condensation inside the lens causing a blurry picture and never clears. I suspect all of mine will eventually fail this way as those that did were bought at different times so not a lot issue.

Reefer My V3 is totally exposed. It has been through the entire winter and quite a few duck-drownders with no ill effects–even after tearing it apart and refocusing the lens. Maybe the rest of yours will be OK.

Perhaps the rest will survive, I just had another failure this past week. The moisture is not getting into the unit itself, but in between the lens elements it seems like others have reported and is never able to dry once in there. It does not take much for the view to look a little blurred, starts subtle. For me it took a few months to show up, not right away.