Landscape View For Tablets

Why don’t they just rotate the portrait mode view with white bars on the side in landscape view? I’d rather lose the screen real estate in landscape mode than have to view it sideways.

2 Likes

it’s been suggested many times:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/07/ipados-15-enables-iphone-apps-in-landscape-mode-for-ipad-users/

Still waiting… and waiting… and waiting some more…

I’d be somewhat satisfied if they would implement this in the Wyze App so we can use our iPads in Landscape, until if and when they actually rewrite the Wyze App to Natively adhere to iOS’s standard guidelines of how to write an app for an iPad (likewise for our fellow android users)

Thank you for joining in the Game…

The Game appreciates your participation

Feel free to come in here an vent like the rest of us… that dream of LANDSCAPE… On our iPads and/or Android Tablets.

For that matter… Landscape on an iPhone Pro Max… and some of the larger screen Android Phones would be a good change as well…

I wonder if we need a new Wish List to get Landscape Mode working on the larger Phones as well?

SJ

2 Likes

@nixhome2020 - Hah, I figured it had been suggested before, but when it told me it would take 90 minutes to read up on all the posts in this thread, I opted to just pile on.

I agree, might be time to start a new thread, they have probably marked this one as “automatic archive”.

You are making me hungry…

At least these three iPhone Apps all have programmers that have taken advantage of how to rotate an iPhone to be usable on an iPad in Landscape mode:

vs Wyze:

SJ

2 Likes

Has the actual development started yet?

SJ

2 Likes

Perhaps start from Scratch on the new app, while maintaining the old app if it’s that big of a rewrite?

SJ

I believe that is what they were planning/doing (at least they were planning to in 2020 before it got put on hold for a while due to the Global 2020 catastrophe), it’s just going to take a long time to do. I do see they are trying to hire people specifically to help with these kinds of things so they can improve the app:

https://jobs.lever.co/wyze

I think the best way to help is to simply encourage anyone you know with those skills to go apply at Wyze. The sooner they fill positions related to these things, the sooner Wyze can get us those updates. They clearly have the desire, and they are actively hiring to address the mobile app improvements. I don’t know that they need more motivation since they’re already trying to get the right people to do it, it’s just a matter of finding the right talent/fit to help them resolve their needs to accomplish everything.

Thank you for the advice, but that’s a goal I’ll never be able to achieve, as I don’t know anyone with this skill set to encourage to apply at Wyze.

I’ll continue to provide feedback here, sometimes humorously, sometimes showing my frustration and sometimes both at the same time :slight_smile:

Four years of letting this ‘fester’ doesn’t show me they ‘clearly have the desire’.

Yes, I agree it’s promising to see the job listings that might result in a Wyze app on our iPads and Android Tablets that works properly.

But, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Maybe those New Super Programmers can get with those responsible for Wyze Web View and bring the two interfaces into alignment… where Wyze Web View gets renamed to …

Wyze Web App

SJ

1 Like

Quoting myself… so long as I don’t get into an argument with myself, and lose…

While on my mind, the subject of "a Uniform Wyze Interface across iPhones, Android Phones, Tablets in Landscape View and the current Wyze Web View (that should be Wyze Web App)… I was wondering why the disparity between what I can filter events by on the Mobile App and the Wyze Web View.

SJ

Screen real estate. If you really want to see all AI types on the Event page in-app, just add them in filter options. But then you’ll have to swipe the filters left-right to see what you buried:

People/activities redacted for privacy :roll_eyes::

2 Likes

I learned my new trick for the day, thanks for sharing, I did not know that was there:

First thing I do every morning is check my 13 Wyze Cams for my wild outdoor “pets” and this will make it much easier to view the Crows, Raccoons, Mice, Rats, Lizards, Snakes, Finches, Sparrows and Coyotes that have passed by one of my cameras.

I’ve Never scrolled down this far on the Filters to see the “Cam Plus Only” Filters:

SJ

1 Like

This is the solution. I and many volunteers support Wyze at no charge because of the cost model. So why not programmers, @milehiguy? Perfect! Thanks for suggesting. :slight_smile:

@nixhome2020 just for you SJ, here’s the latest comment from Wyze on this subject made by the VP of Product during an AMA today (I asked him the question for everyone who has been wanting an update). My exact question was:

What are your plans for an app design overhaul? (We’re told it’s needed in order to implement things like dark mode and landscape orientation capabilities)

His response is as follows:

Thought you’d like to read the latest response from the VP himself.

2 Likes

Thank you for asking, I’d love to participate in these AMA’s, but I didn’t see anything alerting me that this was scheduled :frowning: and if it happens during ‘normal’ working hours, then that’s a challenge as well. :frowning:

Glad to see they addressed the issue, thank you for sharing. (was not happy to hear about the pullback from RTSP though)

SJ

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, which is in essence what we have been hearing for years now. No timeline again!

Damien

Let’s see, for four+ years we have been asking for landscape mode. We get door bells, virus test kits, new firmware, remote control cars (which the controller is hidden in the main app and works in landscape) and almost a dozen other hardware devices.

But to see a list of cameras in landscape, is just too difficult to pull off.

Basically the VP laughed at us. (they have been for YEARS).

Landscape won’t happen for years, IF it happens. The execs don’t care. They never have.

1 Like

The AMA was announced here (which now includes @carverofchoice’s excellent TDLR summary.

You can set your forum preferences to be notified of new posts in a category. I’d suggest setting “watch first post” for Wyze News so you don’t miss these announcements in the future.

5 Likes

I like learning new tricks :slight_smile: Thanks for the tip, I’ve added this, and some other notifications in.

… And still dreaming of a day that my iPad Pro… can use the Wyze App natively in Landscape Mode for all functions of the app…

SJ

1 Like

Hopefully Wyze is making headway at hiring some talented programmers that will succeed at creating a fully Landscape compliant App for our Android Tablets and iPads…

Wyze, feel free to introduce our new best friends, once you have them settled into their new roles.

Might I suggest you hand each of your new programmers an iPad Pro 12.9 with an attached keyboard as well as an Android Tablet with the same. Be sure and load the current Wyze App as a welcome gift.

SJ

1 Like

… or an 11" (2021) version like mine - I actually suggested crowdfunding the purchase of several iPads for their team a year or two ago. I’m not convinced that any of their developers and/or decision-makers own one. How could they and stay silent?

1 Like