Floodlight cams fail to reconnect to WiFi after router reboot

I suspect that the difference between my floodlight cams and the standalone cams is the underlying WiFi module. My standalone cams are a year old vs. 3 months for the floodlight cams. The prefix for the standalone cams MAC address is 7C-78 whereas the MAC addresses for the floodlight cams start with D0-3F. So they may have a different WiFi module, and possibly the older WiFi module is robust to WiFi restarts and the new one is not.

I am quite certain that the WiFi reboot is the trigger for the floodlight cams to lose connection, and I am quite certain that my standalone cams are not impacted. I am able to reproduce losing connection for the floodlight cams quite reliably when I reboot my router. And my standalone cams are never impacted by rebooting the router. I have two of each of the type of the camera, and a router reboot usually disconnects at least one of the floodlight cams.

Are you able to repro losing connection on a standalone Wyze v3 cam when you reboot your router? If so, I am curious what is the MAC address prefix in your cams.

Wyze engineering is engaged in a different thread: Wyze Cam V3 keeps disconnecting (with error code 90) - #72 by rpmcafee - you can share your experience there if you are experiencing the same symptoms.

1 Like