Fast Forward/Rewind (and other scrubbing alternatives) In SD Card Playback

We are too.

Moderator Note: The email signature containing personal information has been manually removed from this post. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

I look forward to having this function actives! It is really hard to find something I want having to watch the for long time in real time what I am looking for. Fast forward and backward would make a HUGE difference and our lives easier!

Please Wyze team, send us some good news soon!!

2 Likes

Can you provide anything more specific than “in the future”?

There is at least as much time in front of us as there is behind, so “in the future” does not tell us when we might expect this feature to be available. I’m not asking for a specific date; even something like “a few months” or “a few years” would be better than “in the future”.

Thanks!

I’m sorry, I don’t have the timeline for this and can’t give that estimate. I know that there are hardware and infrastructure complications for it and I don’t know what all it will take to overcome those challenges.

3 Likes

Have you given any serious consideration towards making part or all of the software open-source? It just seems, from this & other threads, that your team is paddling like mad & still floating backwards downstream…

2 Likes

Another +1 for this feature for all the reasons others have listed. I’ve had my first camera up for less than 24 hours and this is the first thing I realized I needed that wasn’t already a feature in the app.

Hello,

I haven’t fully browsed the Community for a solution to the problem of quick playback, but in a preliminary search found this thread, So I don’t know if this problem has been solved. But anyway, how about a full day of Wyze cam video files compressed down to a two minute file? So review a whole day in bit more than forty-five minutes.

I’m working on a DOS batch script that takes 24 hours of video files from my Wyze cam and compresses them down to about a two minute video for quick review. Anyone interested in beta testing and providing some feedback?

Thanks.

• Dave

I still haven’t purchased a camera, but I would be interested in following the results on beta testing your batch file. It might be a good idea if you link from here to a dedicated thread just for this. Maybe on the Tips & Tricks sub forum? https://forums.wyze.com/c/tips-and-tricks

A “DOS batch script” means that a PC needs to be involved, correct?

If that’s the case, then that would require removing the SD card every time we wanted to run the script. In my case that involves a ladder for one of my cameras and getting down on my hands and knees for another. Climbing, crawling (twice) and re-aiming the cameras each time, That’s not something I’d find convenient.

If Wyze made downloading directly from the camera possible, or “remote recording” to a PC, then I’d jump at the chance to use your script.

I’ve never looked into this: Is it to use possible for tinyCam Pro to record the stream? That would put the file directly on the PC, within each easy reach of your script.

No resolution and no timeframe for one. Low urgency at Wyze regarding this critical issue.

Right. Didn’t think about that. All my cams are accessible. Haven’t heard of tinyCam but will research it.

tinyCam Pro has pretty bad reviews. There is a cloud service called Mangocam that would get the files accessible andsupports about a zillion cams but Wyze is not on their list.

Would you have to remove the sd card or would it be on the viewing app

I pulled the card and copied everything to the pc for a better player as well as merging and time compressing the files.

I understand from another reply that it’s not always logistically easy to pull the card. Mine are pretty accessible so. I hadn’t thought of that being a problem so much. But it is.

1 Like

If the Wyze cameras had a small FTP server running on them that would help immensely!
They do need to add some kind of fast forward on the viewing side, I was kind of surprised when it was not there (I just started using Wyze cameras last month, but have used Lorex for years).

1 Like

The only cloud storage which works with Wyze cams at the moment is tinyCam Cloud https://cloud.tinycammonitor.com/
It has a timeline with an ability to fast forward/rewind recorded video.

1 Like

Though please note that this is an unofficial, 3rd party service that requests account information. Please approach it with the same care that you would use with any service that requests login information.

2 Likes

It would also be great to integrate or associate event recordings with the continuous recording if it exists. I find that the event detection often starts too late or terminates too quickly. As an example, I want to see the license plates of cars passing on the street, and then see if the cars make suspicious maneuvers.
So variable speed playback forward and backwards and integration with the continuous recording are the top of my wish list.

Most of the nicer security cams have the ability to do a continous buffered recording that gets overwritten until an event happens, then the previous 3 or 5 seconds get appended to the live recording. At a technical level, these cameras are recording 24/7. They just don’t save the footage unless it gets flagged. It’s a typical feature to have the option to decide on how many seconds before an event, plus how many after

Now what I would like to know more about is using RTSP, or something similiar, to send out high quality stills to a NVR where they get continously appended to the end of a video file that also has a synchronized event track to datalog whatever events you setup

This would offload the video processing that the Wyze cams are not so capable of, and give that workload to a more capable hardware platform

Yes- THIS!!! Date and Time