Fast Forward/Rewind (and other scrubbing alternatives) In SD Card Playback

We do read this! Unfortunately, we haven’t found a workaround for the filesystem issue that TokyoJim mentioned. We haven’t given up but the hardware limitations make this tricky.

Maybe start with something simple like FTP so we can at least download + review the footage on another device without having to pull the SD card? Like this: Direct access to SD card with download ability - #193 by appleguru

Related to that would be possible “real” solution here too: let the user select a time period, and that whole section of footage gets cached on AWS or even just locally on the user’s phone for rapid review including FF/RW.

Or, add a “timelapse” option… save stills every 10s or so along with the full framerate video to the SD card and have FF/RW just seek through these stills.

Or, similar in concept but slicker… leverage a seeking mechanism that only plays back the “keyframes” in the video files (and configure your encoder to create I-frames every 10s or so). Would marginally increase the storage requirements for each minute of video, but should allow for very efficient seeking even on the camera itself.

1 Like

Exactly. Mark the area of motion. If you want to go there at least you can instead of having to sit on the whole playback waiting for the moment you are looking for crazy !

1 Like

You can sort of do that as someone previously suggested. Use time lapse and you can download the whole video down to your phone. You do have to setup time lapse every day. Since the download code is already present, it would be useful to extend that to allow download any specified segment of video.

But the hardware is new in V3?!? Wyze team had the opportunity to address the hardware limitations in the new version. :cry:

Also the forum responses have had some good potential workarounds to the hardware limitations. What other tricky-ness is there?

Gwendolyn, respectfully you posted on Nov 2018 that you were looking into 10x FF and agreed it was important to the customers. Seriously it’s been three years! If you are being told this can’t be done because of hardware you are being lied to. Even so we all know it can be done via software. There has to be another reason. Go back to the coders and tell them to be honest with you at least!

This topic seems to be going back-and-forth eventually the company will figure out how to give us a way to review videos without searching every second
But he has a new topic I’d like to look into I don’t know how to create a new topic so here goes

How about making a single pole decor light switch to replace Standard decor light switch with one that is Wi-Fi control you will sell millions of them

Haha don’t distract them! Let them finish this first! No new products until they fix this. Interesting idea though.

It would be very nice to add clearly legible red track marks TV video feed for each player where are the 12 second motion began to be registered into the cloud

Yeah, but just think now you can get a car vacuum! :man_shrugging:t4:

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse the brevity, spelling and punctuation.

Lol, unfortunately very true…

Wyze Cofounder’s email went out today saying they will be focusing their efforts on Cam Plus because of a shortage of silicon chips. Maybe this will prompt some much needed software improvements for the core experience like making it easier to scrub through and find activity in the timeline.

2 Likes

I sure hope so! I tried, unsuccessfully to contact the cofounder this morning telling them I operate a company that has been in business nearly 30 years that specializes in hard to find components. If anyone at Wyze sees this please pass along my company information and or my contact info directly. [Mod Edit}

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse the brevity, spelling and punctuation.

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Has anyone heard any movement on this? @UserCustomerGwen have you heard anything?

Wyze, I have loved your product as much as I could, but I am no tech person so I don’t really understand the technical reasons for why the cameras can’t do what I need them to do, most importantly, the ability to fast forward/rewind in playback. When I got robbed, it was a total pain in the a** trying to find footage to show the police. So, as soon as the world rights itself and I am making a paycheck again, I’m afraid I’m going to have to sell all my Wyze equipment on Craigslist and then get one of the more established systems. That being said, I support what you have tried to do, make a security camera that everyone can afford.

Guys truth is we only paid $20.00 for a outdoor cam that takes great day and night in complete darkness
closest cams to this quality cost $100.00 or more. It’s a little tricky to look at playback butI I can do it just fine for now so can all of you
I am just happy I can look outside all around house at any time and see a clear picture without getting out of bed and the zoom is pretty dam good also
Wyze is a pretty good company im sure in time they will get a fast forward to work there at so point
Probably their intent is to have you sign up to plus they make a few more $$ and you get 2X and 4X
PS I HAVE NO CONNECTION TO WYZE JUST A CUSTOMER but I know business and profit is important and their not making much at $20

Thanks for waisting a few minutes of my life when I could have used them to search my cameras in real time!

1 Like

It would be very good if playback UI has the following improvements:

1. Motion or person marking on the timeline or option to play with motion or person only
  2. Play speed control 0.5x - 5x
  3. Like Google nest hello, swiping support to go back and forth
  4. Time-lapse play mode
1 Like

It’s never going to happen because they don’t care. They can sell them so cheap people keep buying. Its sad that we have been requesting this for years now and Wyze could really careless.

Have you guys seen the interface for the Wyze Doorbell Cam? It has a scrolling timeline (but only the clips not the full timeline). Do you think this is one step closer to what we want?

doorbell_interface