Easily remote control and view your garage with Wyze Cam v3 Garage Door Controller! 4/26/22

wonder if you only need to know if garage is open or close. Will wyze provide QR code for Camv3 or is it something Wyze will sell?

Not all garage opener are compatible so option of just knowing if its open/close with V3 cam is ok

The ability to report the door status is in the GDC’s settings, so you wouldn’t be able to access that capability without the GDC.

You could still install a V3 and have it report movement. It should record every opening and closing of the door as a motion event. You can probably even turn motion sensitivity way down, as it is such a big part of the overall picture.

I have the exact same issue. I am not sure it it will even be compatible but my garage is too tight. Poor design here by Wyze.

Uploading: Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.17.16 AM.png…

How big is the QR code?

The camera & controller (GDC) need to be up by the Garage Door Opener in order to wire to it. Do you have any mounting options near the GDO? I don’t see a picture of the area near the front of the GDO, which is where mine is.

Your first picture shows the best simulation of a camera up by the GDO. From up there you will be able to see the space between the windows. That’s where the QR Code sticker will go. It is 8-1/4" square.

1 Like

Well, that’s opposite of the front I was talking about, but it shows some steel bars you should be able to use.

Best picture might be one from my front with the door open, so we can see how close the door gets to the opener. Don’t want the door to block the view of the open garage. :slight_smile:

I assume you’ve done the “terminal shorting test” to determine the compatibility, since that model doesn’t seem to be on their Genie model list.

1 Like

How exactly do you do that? I havent found the video.

You can test compatibility by tracing the wires from your Garage Door Opener wall button to the opener, then shorting those two terminals with a pair of needle nose pliers or other conductive item (like an unwound paper clip). If the garage door opens, you should be compatible.

If you have a GDO wall button that isn’t wired, you may not be compatible. In that case you would have to look at your GDO manual to see if they still have the terminals to allow a wired button.

1 Like

Check step 2 on the Wyze Garage Door Controller Compatibility Checker webpage.

1 Like

Yes - I see that I just don’t follow.

Wire used to short? I though your use pliers? And then what? I have seen some crazy installs from Wyze before but this takes the cake.

Please explain how it would be a downgrade. What functions does your current controller have that the wyze controller does not have?

You are shorting the terminals that the controller will connect to to prove that will open and close the door.

Uploading: Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 2.09.22 PM.png…

It’s just additional flexibility. For instance (a) I want to know if I forget to close it, but not if it’s the middle of the day and I’m working in the yard. So I have it only notify me if the door’s been open more than 20 minutes and it’s after 9pm. (b) I can also set it to notify me during a weekday that’s it’s been open, and I can then respond with a “sleep xx” command to halt additional notifications for xx minutes. (c) I have a separate app that pings it occasionally and let’s me know if it’s offline.
In addition to the lost flexibility, I’d have to maintain the additional camera to monitor the rest of the garage, including the back entry door.
One other item - I already have switches on both ends of the door travel, so I get special notifications if it tries to open or close, but fails.
The main upside for me would be that it fits into the Wyze ecosystem, rather than the custom apps that I have to maintain.

My GDC kit came with a v3 with a flat cable. The instructions in the app mention a “round” cable being the one that is shielded for less RF interference. I haven’t tried the range, but why would my kit have a flat cable and not the round one promised?

If you bought the GDC Kit with the V3 in it, then you should have received a V3 with a round pigtail. If you bought a V3 separately, you would have received a V3 with a flat pigtail.

In any case, you may need to contact Wyze to see about a swap of what you have:

If you bought the GDC Kit with the V3 in it, then you should have received a round-cable V3. If you bought a V3 separately, you would have received a flat cable V3.

My shipment included two cables. A round “Y” cable to connect the power adapter to the camera and controller. There is also a “flat” power cable from the power adapter to the round “Y” cable.

@GuyOnTheAir Perhaps you’re expecting the flat power cable to be round, but it’s the “Y” cable that’s round?

1 Like

Both the “Y” cable (to connect the power adapter to the camera and controller) and the pigtail coming out of the V3 should be round. The flat power cable is still flat, as you say.

Didn’t think about the power cable. :slight_smile: