Detection Zone Ignored or Inverted?

oh

do you by chance have the green motion tagging square on when you are having these issues? @hmh100

@Sam_Bam keep in mind per popular request that they changed the shipping so that it is included in the price now, thus the apparent increases. I believe thatā€™s the cause there.

Do you think the green motion tagging affects this defect/bug? I have mine turned on.

I have tried with motion tagging on and off, makes no difference on any of my cameras.

3 Likes

Me too. Did this a few times over the past YEAR of this defect.

1 Like

I think my post about your response probably didnā€™t come across correctly. I agree with you and had the same thought. I found it amusing that the OP didnā€™t really respond to it and that you had the same idea.

Sorry if my post came across wrong.

1 Like

@Bam. Yes, thanks for the reminder. But I believe its just a test right now. Not permanent.

1 Like

In my experiences a while ago, considering I donā€™t use the motion tagging box now. I found that because the motion tagging box is bigger often times than what is actually moving the green square will often times go into an actual box you want for detection and that in turn actually reads the frame as if there was motion because of the Green motion tagging box. Keep in mind I donā€™t use it anymore and that was quite a while ago back when the grid detection was brand new. I would turn off motion tagging and see if that helps you

My camera overlooks some plants that are blowing in the wind today and are completely outside the detection zone but are setting the motion sense recording of events off every few mins

6 Likes

Happens to all of us.

I have the same problem. Been cutting the detection zone down more and more, have sensitivity didnā€™t to 3, sound at 1 (can I get a zero?) all to no avail, still getting dozens of false positives per night.

Iā€™m wondering if it isnā€™t somehow related to letting CamPlus expire. I know Wyze wants everyone to subscribe, but Iā€™m just not interested, I never will be and they just need to give up on that. Iā€™ll switch to different cameras if I have to, because I specifically bought Wyze because I didnā€™t want to get roped into a ā€œserviceā€.

3 Likes

do you by chance have the green motion tagging square on when you are having these issues?

Yes, I do, but, the problem occurs with it on or off. Iā€™ll try again just in case anything changed in a recent firmware update, though.

sorry, have been offline from this discussion for a while. wasnā€™t intentional! back to troubleshooting!

I just tuned in to this - late to the party- but it does look l like there is just a small amount of area out of your enclosed zone which is included in the motion tagging box. Wind or the air turbulence from the truck moving those bushes could be the source - possibly.

3 Likes

I mentioned that back at post 14ā€¦

2 Likes

HI @Tomp & @WildBill ā€“ thank you both for the idea. Iā€™ve been off the grid for a bit and am just getting back to this today.

I know thereā€™s a slight ā€œoverlapā€ (which Iā€™ll remove for the sake of testing) but I thought that would be okay given that we can adjust the sensitivity. I have the sensitivity set pretty low. Does anyone know exactly how the sensitivity works? For instance, if there are 10 active squares, and one of them has full motion, does that mean a sensitivity of 10% will cause a trigger? Or half of 1 of 10 squares has motion is that 5% If half of 3 (of 10) squares has motion is that 15% Just trying to de-mystify it so I can set it correctly, because, as you pointed out, with squares, and a relatively large grid, one must decide to either include some area you donā€™t want in order to make sure you cover the area you do want, OR exclude some area you do want in order to avoid part of the area you donā€™t want.

Thoughts?

Here is what Wyze has to say about sensitivity:

You can set the sensitivity of your Wyze Cam in Detection Settings. There, youā€™ll see a slider with a range of 1-100. This slider will adjust the percentage of changed pixels needed to generate an event video.

The lower the number, the more false alarms is the way Iā€™d read it. It doesnā€™t really say anything about this in connection with detection zones.

1 Like

Wow - THANK YOU. This may be the issue (read: my issue!). In my experience, all other uses of ā€œsensitivityā€ related to video/camera motion detection is the opposite of how Wyze defines it. With my other devices, the lower the sensitivity setting, the lower the sensitivity, meaning more motion is required to trigger it ā€“ and vice versa ā€“ higher sensitivity means less motion triggers it.

With Wyze, it seems as if this is a threshold number for percentage of motion required. Iā€™ll try jacking it up and see if it helps, and will report back.

HOWEVER, that said and thinking it out ā€“ Iā€™m not hopeful about it, because:

1. I have never received notification of the area WITHIN my active detection zones/boxes, such as when I walk through it, and

2. I always receive notification of detection far outside the active detection zoneā€¦ including at night when headlights from passing cars is the only detection OUTSIDE my zone and nothing in any of the desired zone.

Anyway, Iā€™ll test and report back. Thanks again!

Really? Sensitivity is backwards?

One thing I found really frustrating was that there was no context sensitive help and this would have been INCREDIBLY useful - as would the definition of whether grayed out squares indicated the detection zone or the non-grayed ones.

So what about the sound sensitivity - is THAT backwards too?

2 Likes

I think it is going to take some experimentation. The web link I posted says one thing but if you look at the settings information for sensitivity it contradicts the web page.