Change WiFi Network Name (SSID) and password without device reset

Welcome to the forum.

The solution for you would be a portable travel Router / Access Point.
The cameras would always have your personal router SSID and password. You just connect the router itself to different Wifi networks as needed.

2 Likes

@geoff_woody

@angus.black is absolutely correct. Here is a link to LifeHacksters YouTube Site:

3 Likes

Great link.
Wyze really canā€™t change the way itā€™s done unless they can allow 2 Wifi setups per device. Itā€™s the same for all brands of cameras, outlets, bulbs that I own at least.
How do you tell a camera your new SSID and password when itā€™s disconnected from itā€™s current SSID?

I agree. The only way to do it today is to go through the setup process without deleting the device from the app. Other than that, I am not sure of another way.

Change The Wifi Network for each device in the app

I had to switch my wifi network due to switching from cable to fiber and I had to reset every device to get them on the new network.

There needs to be functionality to change the wifi network for each device inside the app

2 Likes

It would be nice to be able to simply set the SSID and PWD directly.

until that happens, the easiest way to not have to reset your devices when you change the router is to simply keep the same SSID and Password. If you do this, the cameras and devices will automatically connect.

But I do agree that a simple way to change the information would be beneficial.

3 Likes

If you change you router info, Wyze cameras forget it. An SD card has 32GB of storage. Really?

Why not put some code on the SD card to say ā€œHello. Wyze cam #99 here. Do you really want me to disconnect so you can break your neck and sue us? Just askingā€¦ā€

The cute sound and QR codes sell cameras. A ā€œwish listā€ kills future business. Iā€™m out.

No, if you change router info Wyze cameras never knew what that info was. They donā€™t forget the info you previously had. Thatā€™s why you should keep your previous SSID and password from your old router.

A bit dramatic. :slight_smile: How do your connected cameras keep you from breaking your neck?

2 Likes

Wi-Fi - In App SSID update/change for all Devices

I saw a similar post to this one and voted but it was limited to Cams.
I am sure this applies to a variety of Wyze products, but the one that would benefit the most would likely be the thermostat. If a user changes the wifi settings, youll have to remember your thermostat wiring and reconfigure the entire system and run tests, just to be able to add the new wifi information onto the device.

Iā€™ve seen other IoT products and apps have the ability to change the wifi credentials within the app, but im certain that by the time we remember to change the wifi settings on the devices, the app wonā€™t be able to communicate with the device (unless its paired via a different technology like bluetooth or some sort of Ad-hoc network within trusted app and device) so maybe the initial setup can be modified to where you can skip over certain aspects and just enter the new wifi if a config already exists in the device without having to reset?

Lots of room for ideas here.

[Mod Note]: Your topic, associated replies and votes were merged to this #wishlist request for better visibility and consistency in grouping identical requests.

2 Likes

I agree 100%!!! We need a way to allow all products to search for a WIFI if theyā€™re not connecting to the previous one. We changed WIFI today and now I have to climb ladders to take cameras down (Iā€™m a senior citizen and donā€™t need to be on a ladder), change all my plugs, and the thermostats are the WORST of all (we own 2)! I donā€™t remember the wiring so I guess Iā€™m stuck using the manual controls for now. I would be just as well off keeping the old type. The thermostat issues are difficult at best if you have to start over. Please consider adding a feature on the app to change wifi settings!

5 Likes

I would like a firmware update that allows the user to change the wifi network and/or password on each device within the app. Reinstalling things like bulbs and plugs arenā€™t much of a hassle but I have several cameras mounted to where I have to drag out a ladder to accomplish this. It would be so much easier to change it in the app. Yes I know about using the same SSID and password on a new router, but there are several reasons I need to change mine.

5 Likes

Would be nice but isnā€™t happening. See also

2 Likes

Have ability to change or edit Wi-Fi for devices within the app without having to re-add all devices.

2 Likes

More or less impossible for devices without their own input controls and display. (Thermostat is an exception.)

1 Like

I recently purchased a new router and needed to update my network info on my wyze device. I only own the thermostat. With all the wiring that a thermostat involves this was way harder than it needed to be. My wish is to have a way to update the network name and password from the app without having to re-add the thermostat or any other device.

3 Likes

Only sad thing is I cannot upvote this post twice. Iā€™m about to lose hours going through all my devices and hoping everything works out.

2 Likes

Can we please get an update to allow us to switch networks on a device without having to remove the device and reinstall it?? As matter of fact, could you please do that on all deviceā€™s??

[Mod Note]: Your topic was merged to this #wishlist request for better visibility and consistency in grouping identical requests.

1 Like

If Wyze had the ability to change the WiFi settings remotely, like my Lorex camera has, you can at least borrow another router and set the old SSID and communicate through that to the camera(s) to change them to the new network. It would be easy.

Instead, itā€™s IMPOSSIBLE.

Regards,

John

1 Like

Network Switching

I have several Wyze products and plan on adding more. However, Iā€™ve recently had connectivity issues because of my routerā€™s capacity. Iā€™m switching to a mesh setup which means I need to move all of my devices to the new networkā€¦ Unfortunately at the moment, this will mean that I need to reset each device individually. This will be cumbersome and time-consuming. It would be wonderful to have a way to mass change the networkā€¦ Please and thank you.

1 Like

I agree. When one needs to change SSID or passwords, it is a pain to do. But, if one is simply adding WIFI extenders or mesh devices, just keep the SSID and passwords the same on those devices. If you do that, you do not need to change anything on the WYZE devicesā€¦

1 Like