Beta Testing for Wyze Cam v3 RTSP Firmware Now Available!

Giving BI access to your camera’s rtsp feed should not make any changes to the camera itself. Your mobile access to the camera had to ‘break’ some other way. Mine still connects to my phone fine.

If you watch the video you will likely see the video drop out (ie. freeze) every few minutes. I have tried everything. Other applications also freeze video I have found. Like agentdvr. VLC seems solid.

I believe you, but how does one make it work again?

So the app opens, but doesn’t display the v3 camera?
Might have to delete that device and start over.

Yes, the app opens fine, but there is no V3. I deleted the device, just as you suggested, but I’m not seeing any way to get the V3 back into setup mode, now that the RTSP upgrade has been installed. What am I missing?

Does the setup button not work on the camera? Then the add a device process in the app? The base firmware the RTSP used should be a fairly stable firmware and should operate the same, with the added feature of RTSP. If not try manually flashing the latest production firmware, setting it up like you normally work then once that’s done manually flash the RTSP on it again.

No, I do not have audio enabled. Likely should…

I found a temporary measure to use VLC to pull the stream and restream it for Blue Iris.

“c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe” --intf dummy -R rtsp://username:password@/live --network-caching=1000 --no-sout-all --sout-keep --sout=#rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8554/}

Then use HTTP mode of blue iris on IP of your vlc machine and port 8554 with / as the path and VLC rtsp stream. Now vlc takes care of the connection.

Having an issue with Blue Iris. The camera feed is not stable. When looking at the timer (seconds), they start jumping 31,34,38…then freeze… then start the counter again. So I noticed if I disable the camera and enable again, the play back is smooth…but, until I open the program again. If I close Blue Iris and reopen it…the issue comes back until I disable and re-enable the cameras.

It “works”, in that it runs, but it doesn’t find the IP address, it sets the port wrong, and it leaves off the /live suffix of of the stream profile line. And of course the audio doesn’t work at all, because it locks up Blue Iris and then causes the Blue Iris service to crash.

I don’t know how to do anything in the Wyze mobile app because I don’t know how to get the camera back into setup mode - the setup button doesn’t invoke setup mode. I also don’t know how to flash the production software because, again, I don’t know how to get the camera into setup mode.

If you mean the live view, I’m not seeing any jumping. How long does it take to see it? I stared at the time for a full minute and never saw it miss a second. I’m also seeing a solid 20 FPS, both in the Blue Iris console and in UI3. I have the feeling that it taxes the CPU more than a 1080p camera should. I can’t prove it, but I think it is a little more load than my 4 and 5 megapixel cameras, although not radically so. That’s just not what I expected since the bitrate is typically lower than 80 kB/s, whereas most of my other cameras are more like 250kB/s. One might think that with one-third the bitrate, that it would barely register.

Not sure what it is, but I am running Blue Iris on an AMD Fx6300 (6 core cpu) and 8 gigs of ram.
I only have 6 wyze cams, but I’ve disabled all except 1 and it looks ok… but more than that it just starts skipping and freezing.

I had to switch back to TinyCam Pro and so far I’ve been able to run all 6 of them steady and no skips.
Not sure how can running tinycam on a virtual environment be more efficient than blue iris running straight on windows.

So did the renaming work or not? Lol it looks like you posted right after and it only changed the led light color

@macster2075 thanks for the link, however those instructions are not accurate. Once you switch to RTSP protocol, 1) you no longer can select the manufacturer (i.e. Wyze) and 2) if you were to choose Wyze (using http instead) the model indicates V2 with OpenIPC firmware RTSP which is not the Wyze provided FW for the v2. This is an old article from when OpenIPC was still around…

For the record Wyze/V2 OpenIPC works just fine with the V2s. This entry makes no difference than using a Generic option; perhaps some other settings (buffer, etc) are different.

@MarkTX the Wyze mobile app doesn’t use RTSP as the protocol to view the live stream, it’s a different one likely HLS. Wyze can chime in on this. Just press the setup button once booted, it will put it in setup mode again.

@K6CCC don’t enable Audio, you will enter into a crash loop in BI. If it’s a “somewhat” mission critical system, don’t enable Audio on the W3. If you do happen to do it and enter the crash loop, I’ve found that removing power from the camera allows enough time to disable it in BI before crashing again.

Recap:
0) If you want to load the FW, don’t rename the BIN file to demo.bin as the wyze instructions mention, leave it as demo_wcv3.bin.

1. If you add WC3 to BI, make sure you disable Audio in the camera Audio tab, otherwise a crash loop will ensue. What’s weird is that this will happen even if the camera has been powered off, once the profile is set up with Audio.
    ->>I’ve set up the new BI version (demo mode) in a VM, same thing is happening, so it’s not a question of a particular BI version, it will crash all versions
  2. Seems there are no issues on VLC with audio and video
  3. If anyone is successfully running these Video AND Audio, please post what software you’re using and your settings for others
  4. No issue running W3 in TinyCam(Pro).
  5. If you don’t see RTSP option in the mobile app, your app is too old and doesn’t support this firmware, update your app ( I can only comment on Android, I imagine it’s the same on ios)

Lastly, I have run the WC3 without sound, added to my BI, video only, for the last 1h30min. If I check BIue Iris Status, Cameras, I don’t see ANY “No connection” events, not 1. However encouraging this is, the fact the the audio part is hosed, sucks.

Lastly, I didn’t figure all this out on my own, plenty of posters which I’m too lazy to dig the references for… so thanks., If someone finds the Audio workaround, please post.

Those that have an active BI subscription, which means you have support, you could open a ticket and see if this is a BI issue (rule it out) or Wyze issue (more likely).

1 Like

Mine are still not working smoothly. I cant tell if it’s due to my bandwidth not allowing for 6 rtsp cameras. I only get 50/10 from my ISP.

But, if I view all cameras in the Wyze app they look fine without skipping frames….is 10 Mbps up not enough for 6 Wyze cams?

When I first open bl5 it starts working fine and all 6 cameras work great…then after a little while…some of the cams freeze and start skipping frames.

You have 6 x WC3s in BI5 working fine?
With Audio set to ON or without audio?

That doesn’t work. I can’t get the camera to enter setup mode.

I do have a BI subscription, and I may do that at some point, but I’m reasonably sure that this is a Wyze problem, and I don’t really want to be the one to bother Ken and company if it’s no fault of their own. We’ll see how long Wyze allows this to go unanswered.

If I check TinyCam, it’s showing me @20FPS the stream is atound 150KB/s (KiloByte) = 1.2Mb/s
You have an upload speed of 10Mbs, so 6 cameras would need 7.2Mbs of that.

1)You are accessing them from outside your network, so away from home? (see above)
2)Or within your network? in which case point is moot unless you’re using very old wifi router/ap.

On the v2s running RTSP, I have NEVER been able to fix the 1) dropouts, and 2)the horrible sound clipping. On the v3s I can’t even get them working in BI with both audio and video, so there’s that…

Once you get the FW to load (purple light), wait until it’s done, it will blink red. Once it blinks red you can press the setup button 1 or 2 secs and should go into setup mode. I did this with 2 cameras and had no issue.
It is bricked maybe?