You've got mail! Wyze Contact Sensor installed in mailbox

Installed a Contact Sensor inside my mailbox today. Now I get a notification when the mailbox is opened (and closed) so I know that the mailman has made the delivery.

Below is a photo of the installation. The yellow arrows indicate the sensor locations.

12 Likes

Very nice, yeah that’s where mine will be going… sensor 1 in mailbox… sensor 2 garage door! Impatiently waiting for add on kits…

Looks like that mailbox is plastic… mine did not work because it is metal.

I am about 20 feet line of sight from the hub to the mailbox.

4 Likes

What distance can a sensor work from a camera it is paired with?

1 Like

That is awesome, I gotta admit that! I wish I could do that too but my mailman is so lazy. He hates getting out of his truck to walk a package to the front door. He loves to stuff my mail box full of clothes and other stuffable packages. He’ll just break the sensor off.

I might try it out anyways just to test the distance and my metal mailbox.

They don’t seem to be saying that officially but it’s at least 50’ from my cam (inside the house) to my mailbox outside and it’s got one bar of signal strength. Walls, materials, etc. will all effect the distance.

I also have a metal mailbox and it seems to be working fine. :thinking:

1 Like

That’s very true for a metal mailbox but those little sensors only have one tiny small hole to activate them and are therefore pretty weatherproof, so you could install them on the outside of the mailbox instead

Please keep in mind, Wyze has stated these are for indoor use only, and using them outside voids the warranty. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That may be true,but a Sense Kit for $25 contains 2 sensors, a PIR, and a Bridge, so 1 sensor is worth $6.25. Nothing at all to even worry about, and it only has 1 tiny reset hole. Which you can tape over or mount downward. What a great treat to know exactly when your mail arrives…

1 Like

I am using my WYZE Sense motion detector in my mailbox! Works like a charm! Very happy!!

3 Likes

I installed mine on the back wall of a cast metal (probably aluminum) mailbox and it connected to the bridge. However, when the door is closed and the sensor is in the dark, it does not indicate it cleared. Any suggestions? Signal strength is 3 bars and battery is normal.

4 Likes

Hi,

I also have a metal mailbox. I have the same issue… it never clears! However… the next time my mailbox is opened, I get a notification, and that is all I care about!!! I even had my motion detector go “offline” in my app, however, again, as soon as the mailbox was opened, I received a notification! I think Wyze needs to do a little more work! The bottom line is the motion detector is doing what I want, notify me when the Post Man opens my mailbox. I am very happy. Not sure why the sensor reflects “offline” in my app, however as long as it does what I need it to do, I am happy.

3 Likes

Hi,

I have the same issue… it never clears! However… the next time my mailbox is opened, I get a notification, and that is all I care about!!! I even had my motion detector go “offline” in my app, however, again, as soon as the mailbox was opened, I received a notification! I think Wyze needs to do a little more work!

1 Like

Letter carrier just came and I was alerted that the box was opened. Yipee! Same as you, it never indicates it cleared with the box closed. My mailbox is some 80 ft. from the camera and the signal goes through the metal mailbox and through the brick wall of the house. Not bad.

I bought two sensor kits and have been trying to figure out where to use them. I attempted to use the contact sensor on the mailbox but the design of the door made it impossible to install so it would not be dislodged when large packages were placed in the box.

Still looking for for more unique ideas to use the other sensors.

1 Like

Same here! I am trying hard to figure out a use for the contact switches as they are not practical for my mail box! I have my base unit connected to the camera inside my living room which I point out my front window. It is about 15 feet from the mailbox. I was going to put the base unit in one of my cameras I have mounted outside, however they are high up and would be hard to reach if I needed to make any fixes via the base unit. So far the front window camera is perfect for the base unit. Still don’t know why it shows off line, however it is working, and that is a good thing!

Thanks for the info and pic. Unfortunately neither my motion nor contact sensors worked inside my metal mailbox.

2 Likes

I think what might be happening with your motion sensors is that when the mailbox is opened the signal can get out and maybe even bounce off the door to your house. When the door is closed the signal cannot escape and therefore the sensor appears to be offline.

3 Likes

I use the motion sensor too, It works great my mailbox has a metal front but a plastic back and it is attached to the front of my house.

1 Like

I know it depends on your wifi network, but anyone know the approximate range.? My mailbox is across the street, maybe 100 ft.

1 Like