Wyzecam V3 power cord issue

The “hardwired” usb connection on the V3 was probably chosen so that a more weatherproof connection can be made a short distance from the camera internals. That’s fine, but the flexible protector should really be shipped pushed back, because t really screws up trying to plug in the extension cable - all floppy and squishy as it is.

In my case, it wrecked the contacts on the female end (well, I assume it did - may have come that way) which is hard-wired so rendering the camera useless. No power connection.

I salvaged it by cutting off both connectors and hard wiring it (pink to clear and white to gray - only two wires in the power cable) but many users would be stuck. All due to a design quirk (like the way Pancams walk off the shelf if you enable tracking)

Just posting in case others need to get out the wire strippers…

It’s advertised as “outdoor” camera. That’s why the connector is there. How else can you protect the junction for a cheap consumer item? Making it more complicated will raise the price.

I think you forced it the wrong way in, that’s why it broke.

1 Like

Yeah. This is not my first rodeo or Wyze cam. As noted, I see why, just wish they had the boot pulled back (I thought it was moored on). And of course I checked the orientation, despite them making it difficult. Wyze just always send to skip the details. But hey, for the price, buy three and get two that work

Steve mobile

I have 12 V3 cameras - some of which have been plugged in and out many times (both with Wyze supplied cables and with others). Never had a problem. I did not realize that the boot was removable until you mentioned it.
I rather suspect that if the boot was shipped pulled back, almost no one would use it (because they did not realize that it should be moved over the connector). And then they would bitch because the connector got wet and failed.
Be a little careful putting it in and it is fine.

1 Like

It’s very easy to make a mistake with the plug orientation, once you lose sight of the cable ends. Several times I thought I had the orientation correct, it wouldn’t go in. Then when I double checked, the orientation was really wrong.

The trick is not to force and to stop when it won’t go, and recheck.

1 Like