WyzeCam Ethernet Data Support

Are you suggesting to get extenders and make an isolated wifi for the camera just so you can translate that into a “Wired” connection?

If you are suggesting that. Then the logical choice is not to invest in this goldberg idea and spend a little more on a standard POE camera.

2 Likes

You are right. I rather have direct poe camera that have wifi broadcasting all over. Moreso, the broadcast cluster, the more wifi signals get distorted.

I too really need this network connection over wired to replace the wifi to work asap (POE is nice to have too), I have 12 cameras burdening my wifi network heavily hence now thinking to move away from Wyze to another wired solution.
Is it coming soon for the V2 camera?

Not for the V2s but it’s supposed to be coming for the new V3s some time soon.

hopefully, nothing is promised yet.

@WyzeGwendolyn it has been a couple of months since the livestream where we got a “it is in the works” for the V3 and ethernet. Do you mind bugging the team for an update?

2 Likes

also seeking confirmation of ethernet adapter coming to v3

inevitably I’m going to switch to POE, whether Wyze becomes part of my setup really is a matter of whether they are going to provide an adapter or not.

2 Likes

It is unlikely that we will see anything substantial appear from the forums.

At this point spend 10 dollars more on a poe camera and download ispy agent

I have run POE to my V3 camera’s. They power up and have no issues. Yes, they are still WiFi connected, by if you review the October AMA, they indicated the the V3 camera’s are setup to support / Transmit data. They indicated that they are actively looking at this solution.

1 Like

That’s semi pointless. If you took the effort to run poe you could have probably run electric. The issue isn’t electric otherwise people would not have bought in the first place, the issue is a stable ethernet connection. The power part is just icing on the cake to give it more flexibility in location

Not really pointless. I am now wired for Ethernet when it becomes available, I can switch to any other camera system. Running only electric would require an additional run if I ever wanted to use hard wired camera’s. Plus, running an ethernet cable is easier than trying to run electric and plugging it into a junction box of sorts.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions, you gotta do what is best for you and your environment / plans for the future.

1 Like

Absolutely agree and I intend to do the same. If by “electric” Ionizer meant AC wiring, that is insanely more expensive, dangerous, and regulated than pulling Cat5. If he or she meant low voltage DC / USB wiring, that has all the limitations on distance we have endlessly discussed. If he or she meant 12 or 24 VAC security camera wiring, that is limiting in selecting smarter / newer / cheaper PoE cameras. I can think of few rational arguments not to have PoE as the home wiring solution of choice.

1 Like

I agree and that is why I ran what I did. I purchased a decent POE Switch which can handle the camera’s and then some. Running Ethernet is far easier, I used to do that with my side business. IMHO, it allows for more flexibility and growth.

I ended up getting a decent POE+ switch. it allows for some power settings:

1 Like

Whoa, nice, you can run a PC off 130 Watts. :slight_smile:

Do you happen to have the links for the POE switch you aquired and the POE Splitters? I tried TP-Link and it caused my camera to make a motor noise like it was constantly adjusting after using it for one day. I already have pre-run CAT5 throughout my house, just trying to terminate it to power these v3 cams and run data off Wi-Fi until true POE is built into the next gen. Thanks!

Will send when I get home.

This is what I purchased and have had no issues:

Switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082G2G2F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

POE Adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNKX14C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0876N3PMZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you! I will check them out.

Does the wattage matter that much for this application? I’m only connecting 3 or 4 cameras. Could I get away with the 55W compared to the 83W? Also, what does the POE+ give you that regular POE does not? Sorry, for all the questions, I’ve been toying with this issue for a while now and it’s been quite puzzling, even though it’s seemingly a simple connection process.

I think you can go with the lower end. I was planning for the future and potential ability to allow thr V3 to communicate via Ethernet.

I am going to have at least 5 camera’s on it or a few more.

POE+ allows for more Watt on the cable, in addition to other features: PoE vs. PoE+: What's the Difference?.

1 Like