WyzeCam "eating" micro SD cards?

what Sd cards are you using?

Base on my experiences, it doesn’t matter what brand of card is used… the cameras will brick the card. I’ve tried 4 different brands, and all were bricked. I finally gave up and stopped spending the money on new SD cards.

All the Wyzecams I own are now live view only.

That’s so weird. I have not had one brick.

1 Like

Hmmmmm, I don’t think so. There are daily reports of this in the facebook group.

1 Like

Exact same problem here. My order arrived yesterday. And I bought the SanDisk 32 gb card that is offered with the V2 Wyze cam! So frustrating and disappointing. I want to be able to share news of buying into the Wyze cam product line with friends and family … that WON’T be happening anytime soon! :flushed:

1 Like

I had two of these:
Samsung 32GB 95MB/s (U1) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME32GA/AM)
And two of these:
Kingston Canvas Select 32GB microSDHC Class 10 microSD Memory Card UHS-I 80MB/s R Flash Memory Card with Adapter (SDCS/32GB)
I saw that these were recommended, and purchased 4 - which I HAVE NOT USED yet, They say specifically for use in security cams.
I also have one unsed Wyze branded card.
Samsung PRO Endurance 32GB Micro SDHC Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 (MB-MJ32GA/AM)

1 Like

High endurance cards are best for the cameras.

2 Likes

My Wyze Cam V2 ate an SD card today also, and it is a Wyze brand SD card, this same V2 has been a problem before and crashed on an update, loses SD card connection then returns, etc…

But this time the card is completely dead, put another card in camera and at first it did not work.
later installed a non-Wyze branded SD card and it is working.

Are the Wyze cam SD cards warrantied?

EDIT: They are indeed covered under warranty,

On the Support webpage under Common Questions, click on “What size and kind of microSD cards does Wyze Cam support?” and in that link is found the following:

“Our warranty does not cover 3rd party products as covered in our Terms and Service under line 4E. Click [here] to purchase a 32GB Class 10 microSD card that is compatible with Wyze Cam and covered under our [warranty].”

Opened Wyze Ticket 190982

For what it’s worth, I have 4 of these cards and have not had any trouble…yet. I hope I don’t jinx myself!!

I never let the cards fill up and format them before they get full.

SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC UHS-I card with Adapter - 98MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-032G-GN6MA

1 Like

I recently looked up SanDisk’s microSD card warranty…

PROTIP- buy cards designed for security cams, then keep meticulous records… so you can presumably get them replaced under warranty if they fail.

1 Like

Hi all, I’m sorry for all the SD card issues with the camera. We’re working closely with our microSD card supplier and camera manufacturer on this issue. We’ve also collected many SD cards, most of them are write-protected and some of them are dead completely. If you’re having trouble, we’d like some of the bad cameras back. Please submit a support ticket and let me know the ticket number.

5 Likes

I cant name another company that actually address’ issues like this and actually wants to help people out. well played Wyze…well played

8 Likes

I’ve a pan cam and one $10 SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card formatted in the cam. After about a week recording time lapse during daylight, mostly at 1 minute interval, the card filled up with 1.5Gb left and stopped recording. I was unable to “download” the video from the card through the camera software. The software would just hang, showing a circle.
I powered down the camera, took the card out, placed it in my W10 laptop, copied the files over.
The last sequence seemed to be present, accessible through VLC.
I deleted the last file and the first two files, recorded time lapse again for the daylight. No problem.
The card is showing 55.81GB of 59.45.
I’m now going to record at 1 second intervals to see if I can fill it up.
Results - the card just hung.
Within the camera software I rebooted and erased some files and could finish a short time lapse.
I’ll be buying 5 of the Wyze 32GB cards.

I’ve had issues with time lapse files and haven’t tried them in a while, but it didn’t appear to me the Wyze software was actually deleting the files off the SD card. I either had to pull the card to delete the files or do a format (in camera) to reclaim that space. That may have changed. If the card is full of time lapse files, having erratic behavior, on anybody’s brand card, wouldn’t surprise me at all. Also, in app downloading 60+GB of time lapse files from these cameras over wifi would take longer than my patience allows. Like hours. YMMV

That’s scary. Coming from a semiconductor background, it’s usually over voltage or ESD that kills devices. I’m sure cards from major suppliers are designed to handle both within reason.

I will be very interested in hearing the final conclusion from this problem.

I noticed some odd behaviour with time lapse files too but it’s a low priority item to me so if in doubt I just reformat the SD card and move on. So far so good.

1 Like

So is the main purpose of an SD carx to continously record live? Any other functions?

It records motion events as well. It lets you reference your motion triggers to the cloud as well. Basically, if you need to go back and watch video that is not live or captures by the motion events, you can.

Yes, the SD card is required to do time lapse.

1 Like

Okay thanks. So without the card I would only be able to view maybe a couple days worth as apposed to a couple weeks, for example?