WyzeCam app - lag in live view, still not resolved in the latest app version?

Good morning,

I just received an email from Wyze advising that anything older than the app version 2.9 will become obsolete in a few weeks.

I upgraded to the latest version and noticed that live view does not work at all: it either freezes or everything moves in slow motion.

I tried activating/deactivating the hardware decoder - this did not make any difference.

Am I doing something wrong? It does not seem that there are any other posts to this effect.

The feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Looks like you have an Android Device since you see the Hardware Decoder option. One of the things I have dine in the past is to clear the cache whenever I update the App and Firmware. Simple thing to try first:

• Go to the App and tap on the Accounts Menu option
  • Tap on App Settings
  • Tap on Clear at the Top to clear Cache.

I thin shut the app down and don’t try to stream anything yet.

• Long Press on the Wyze Icon
  • Tap on Force Stop
  • Tap on Storage and Cache
  • Tap on Clear Cache

Close this screen

Start the app and try again to see if the stream has improved. Corrupt Cache can cause sporadic issues.

You can also logout of the App and Log Back in.

To see if it is a Firmware issue, you can join the Beta Testers by going here: https://wyze.com/become-a-beta-tester

Once you join, and install any updated app, you will see a Beta Program link in the About area of the App. (Start the App, Tap on the Account Menu, Tap on About, then Tap on Beta Program).

When you enter the Beta area here, you can Edit the items you want to do a Firmware test on by clicking on the Edit option and checking those devices you would like a Beta Firware for. Click the Save when done. If Beta firmware is available, it will show up in thew FIRMWARE UPDATE menu. At times you will get it by clicking on a device and going into the Device Info Menu location.

3 Likes

Hi @spamoni ,

Thank you, greatly appreciated.

I took these steps and the lag is no more. Still have to test a bit more - not sure if there is a correlation between the Android version and the performance or whether it is a matter of two devices viewing the stream from the same camera: I noticed that in such a scenario only one of the devices has actual “live”/real time view. The other one gets choppy/delayed.

A related question: does the hardware decoder option do anything any more? I tested with it enabled and disabled, and I do not see a difference. Should it be turned on or off for best performance (just wondering whether there is anything less obvious, “behind the scenes” that may be impacted by the setting).

Thank you again for your help!

I am currently testing the Hardware decoder. I don’t believe you will see a huge difference if your system is functioning fine. Mine is currently on. :slight_smile: Will see if there is a difference and report back.

BTW: Here is a link about it:

Phenomenal - thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Absolutely - standing by for an update re: hardware decoder.

Glad I could help.

Spent the last 24 hours testing with the decoder. To be honest, I have not seen a huge difference. I use a Pixel 5. The only thing I noticed is that I may get a little better Kbps, but that could be a fluke. Battery has not changed on my phone either. I will leave it on for a week to see.