Wyze would sell more V3 cameras if they didn't need to have power recycled periodically

:joy:. Funny. I check my cameras every time I get a notification. Wow. I spend too much time checking my cameras.

1 Like

Better than I.

I only check for rain or watch when I know someone is on the way.

And that’s why you’ve missed the issues. You have to check them more often than just when you get notifications. One day I received no notifications on a V3 camera and though that was odd because I normally get a lot throughout the day. So I checked my camera and sure enough it wouldn’t connect. At first I though someone might have stolen it, but it was still outside. The only thing that fixed it was to unplug it and plug it back in. This should not happen on a cameras that is advertised for security. Imagine if you just left that day on a two week vacation. And you can’t restart the camera if you can’t connect to it, and we shouldn’t have to buy a smart plug to do this, it should be build into the camera.

Once I went away for the weekend and the following day I couldn’t connect to any of my cameras even though I had a strong signal on my phone. I couldn’t connect the entire weekend and it kind of freaked me out. All I kept thinking was someone broke into my home and unplugged the cameras or maybe my house was on fire. The cameras need to reliably work. But sometimes I feel less information, not having cameras, is better for our sensibilities. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fortunately here in Deep South Texas, the “Light Company” blinks often enough that all my cams (except the “Outdoor”) get rebooted spontaneously.

Lucky us.

3 Likes

NOT everything with a computer needs to be reset.
I am an Electrical Engineer who has spent 30 years working with airborne computers and software.
Guess what?
Pilots don’t think their computers should need a reset at 35,000 feet altitude. And they did NOT have to reset them.
They worked well and needed NO RESET.
Why?
Because they were designed NOT to need a reset.

1 Like

And they didn’t cost $25 and offer free lifetime video storage services. I’m still in the “these are very useful toys” camp.

4 Likes

The computers are typically reset between flights depending on line/crew. Here’s an example of why.

3 Likes

A watchdog timer might help. If the timer is not updated periodically because the firmware is stuck for any reason, the device goes on a reset.

1 Like

Great idea.
Please tell the people at Wyze about your idea and that they should add it to their next firmware update.

Seriously? What’s going to trigger the watchdog if the device is already, by definition, stuck?

It is called a computer “Interrupt.”

Server ping. It’s already a wishlist topic somewhere.

Server ping and a watchdog timer are not the same.
The watchdog timer is local inside the camera.
The server ping is at the server end.
What is needed is a local solution, a watchdog timer interrupt.

1 Like

We really need both. One for auto-restart and one for notification.

Good idea

Both are already wishlist requests. I wish I had status updates for these issues and recommended partial solutions.

That seemed a little sarcastic. :slight_smile:

Maybe, but it is the technical name for it.
Computers have many “Computer Interrupts”
The watchdog timer is just one of them.
The interrupt literally interrupt the computer from what it is doing and sends it to the interrupt routine.

1 Like

That, too.

No worries, a good turn in the thread, I’m learning… :slight_smile:

…it wouldn’t hurt ya to :heart: me though if ya got an extra one layin’ around… :wink:

2 Likes

A Heart Coin ???
I don’t even have a Round Tuit

2 Likes