Wyze would sell more V3 cameras if they didn't need to have power recycled periodically

Interesting. I have never had this problem with a V3, at all. I am having issues with a garage door controller paired with a V3, but the 2 V3’s I use all the time have always stayed on and accessible with no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

Hey Brian

Would you trust them as components of your sole security system?

No. I cannot see myself trusting them with security, since they say they don’t do security.

No locking system. Cameras are passive; if they screw up nothing happens. If my front door, garage door or gun safe is left open, something non-passive could occur. :ninja: :no_entry:

1 Like

This has not been the case for more than a year now. They indeed say they do security now.

What is the difference between passive and active cameras? I’m not sure I understand the difference.

3 Likes

I think he or she is saying that a failed camera has less impact than the other things mentioned (because their roles are not passive).

3 Likes

I confess, I can’t argue for or against trusting them as sole security because I can’t get interested enough in hard security.

Their old refrain, use the cams to ‘keep an eye on things,’ is how I’ve always and still use them and this suits me perfectly. They give me a rough sense of what’s going on around me in the neighborhood and that’s exactly what I want. Even the ‘misses’ inherent in the 5 minute cool-down with Cam Plus Lite don’t bother me. *

I may not be a good example, or maybe there’s a big segment just like me, I don’t know. I would like to know, but I don’t. And I try to keep the following in mind:

Click the   image   to see the table.   image

* I also use SD cards in the cams to record Events locally (no cool-down) but there are no notifications generated by SD Events.

2 Likes

Ah that makes more sense. I misunderstood and was confused. :slight_smile: Thanks.

2 Likes

I too never had these problems with v3 until recently. My v2 cameras never have these issues. I have to reboot on a weekly basis on random v3 cameras.

1 Like

Exactly. Thank you.

1 Like

Exactly. Just don’t leave my garage door open or front door unlocked. I don’t need a bathroom scale for a security device.

1 Like

We occasionally need to power cycle one of our V2s or Cam Pans, but it’s not very often, maybe once every other month one of the cameras needs a reset. However, one of the cameras stopped at a very unfortunate time.

We have a Cam Pan on our front porch. Where it’s aimed there are two bird feeders in view. One day I saw one of the feeders’ hanger was bent way over. The feeder was out on the lawn, and a steel hook that held it to the hanger was actually stretched out.

It would take a human hanging from the bird feeder to maybe do this, but even though we live within a small city’s limits, our area isn’t prone to vandalism, so maybe it was a bear? Bears aren’t common to the area, either, but they’ve been seen in the city from time to time. Good thing we had a camera to catch whatever it was in the act!

That was when we noticed the camera had been offline for a week. Bummer! So now I check the cameras each day.

1 Like

Banninhead, we started with a couple of Black v2s, later added 2 V3 . no connection or stability problems after changing to “TP-A250”, a bestbuy deal at $79. Biggest problem has been power outages and surges by local power company. Great products Wyze!! Thank U

1 Like

While I haven’t personally experienced the need to reset my cameras at large, I have had to do it twice on single cameras. To that end, I wired mine up through power over ethernet, to supply the power for the cameras, this does allow me to have the switch that powers all the devices plugged into a smart plug and then I can power cycle the lot of them all at once.

Might be something to consider if this is a regular occurrence.

4 Likes

What? No penalty called on @Customer? Who is officiating anyway?

Protest appeal retracted… Late penalty flag missed.

1 Like

Wyze doing security is a joke! Their cameras constantly have network issues. Their motion detection range was greatly reduced, causing the camera to miss a lot of events. And the AI is still a laughable failure. I’m so tired of motion detection of parked vehicles! Half of the time I have to reload a video to get it to play, by going from the Events page to the Home and back to the Events page and then try to play it. And let’s not forget the issue trying to tag a video to submit to Wyze, where it unchecked what you pick. These issues aren’t caused by our home network, it’s a Wyze software and server problem.

3 Likes

Walmart sells security cameras, too, but I wouldn’t call them a security company.

Wyze is a gadget company.

Anybody who lumps in bathroom scales and vacuums in their product line are not focused on security.

Just found out about the V1 online elsewhere. → Security is not their focus.

I do enjoy the gadgets but I wouldn’t by a mechanical heart :heart: from a gadget company.

3 Likes

I have no such issue. My only v3 is hanging on the corner of my house under direct sun since I got it and it only needed power cycling once since i got it. That was when i had to get a longer USB cable. That happened when it first came out and was shipped to me. You may want to check if the room exceeded heat tolerance of the camera. Also, re-set it to factory and if that doesn’t work. Please contact support and they will most likely help and may even RMA.

2 Likes

Perhaps Wyze should provide a free, third-party smart plug with every camera…

:wink:

4 Likes

@resist , the obvious question is:

Why have you not given up on Wyze and moved on?

I’m sincerely interested in the answer to the question. I have no idea what it is. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

since switching out to the appropriate watt adapter, that came with the camera, i haven’t had to reboot the camera or complain about cam plus!

2 Likes