WYZE Wifi Smart Plugs stop working, slow blue flashing, FIXED!

The short story: If your WYZE devices (original smart plugs) stop working or go offline, try rebooting your router.

The long story:
I have 2 of the original WYZE Plugs, not the newer blue tooth version.
I bought them new 2 months ago.
Set up was counterintuitive to the directions, but I got them set up on the WYZE app and ALEXA.
After a month of use they both stopped working at the same time. I had to delete them from the WYZE app and set them up again. After another month they both stopped working again, this time showing a slow blue light flashing. The app showed them as offline. This time I could not get them set up. The app showed connected but blue light flashing and neither responded to WYZE app or Alexa commands.

Since they both stopped working at the same time, I thought it must be something common to both. My router? The router has not caused any interruption for all my other wireless devices; 2 mobile phones, 2 PC’s, Ring Doorbell, 2 Gosund Smart Bulbs, Google Home, Echo Show. And the 2 WYZE plugs are closer to the router than most of the other devices.

Regardless, I rebooted my wifi router. Then set up the WYZE plugs again. They are now working.

What I don’t understand is why the WYZE plugs are the only devices out of 11 that go offline and need a router reboot? Not very dependable devices if they are used for home security when you’re on vacation.

1 Like

I just submitted a support question on this issue. WYZE support is responding that it is an error code 90. WYZE solutions at this point require you to be physically at the location where the device is located to ‘power cycle’ the device, which is just techtalk for unplug it and plug it back in, or if that doesn’t work to do a ‘factory reset’, more techtalk to push the button on the side, which then requires a complete set up. These solutions require you to be at the location where the device is. What if you’re thousands of miles away on vacation and depending on these device for home security? un-WYZE.

1 Like

This is the only thing that worked me!

I have an outdoor plug, and a legacy indoor plug, and both were doing the slow blue blinking flashing light - a sign it couldn’t connect to WiFi.

Yet, my other household devices - including Wyze devices - were connected to WiFi just fine.

I even did factor resets on my outdoor and indoor plugs with the slow blinking light - still would stay on slow blinking light and show as Offline in the Wyze app.

I was about to trash them and be done with the Wyze ecosystem of products, then I found this post. Rebooting my router made both devices automatically connect to WiFi right away. Thank you OP

Why did this happen? Only thing I can think of is a recent power outage.

For whatever reason, and especially in the legacy pre-2021 Wyze Plugs, when left on the network for long periods they will loose thier network connectivity with the router. Stale IP? IP conflict from router assigning IP to new device? IP reassignment unsuccessful? Device RAM memory leak?.. Who knows. The fact that the pre-2021 plugs are exponentially more susceptible to this leads me to believe there is either a memory leak issue on the chip or they do not like to accept IP changes from the router. I haven’t tested these with static IP reservations, so I’m just speculating.

Rebooting the router forces the router to rediscover all your devices again and recredential them back into the network and refresh their IP assignment.

2 Likes