WYZE WIFI Connection Issues and Solutions

After some research into why my V3 connection was so bad and what fixed it, I thought I would post it.

The solution relates to the routers 802.11 settings, which by default is set to Mixed 802.11 a/b/g/n.
What I found is the V3 is a G type device and doesn’t like to negotiation its connection type.
No matter how manty times I tried with the mixed setting the connection was unstable, but when the router setting was changed to “802.11 G Only” the connection was stable and streaming smoothly.

If your having connection issues give this setting a try and leave a comment…

Cheers

1 Like

OMG, no. All Wyze devices are 802.11n devices. They may connect as a G device if N isn’t available, but don’t purposely put them there. G is much slower than N, and it will cause you issues sooner or later, especially if you end up with multiple cameras. If your router can’t handle the negotiation, then I’d just turn G off.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply,
It’s my understanding that these cams only have one antenna, so no MIMO !
I haven’t seen a data sheet for Wyze cams stating its 802.11 spec.
Do you have a link to those specs?

No MIMO. Probably more along the lines of single-stream 150Mbit/s. Remember, these are inexpensive devices.

Specs would be 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz (not 5GHz), with only N really recommended (especially if you expand the number of devices). There is no link; the above was quoted from the specs of a V2 cam, available in the Store. It didn’t change on the V3, although they really dumbed down the spec sheet (just says “2.4GHz WiFi”, lol).

2 Likes

Thanks again,
The question is even if N is faster than G, what bandwidth is needed and is the difference measurable.
I just looked up the IEEE G vs N and it was 54 vs 75 mbps, and that’s ideal.
Since I don’t have a distance issue( 3 bars) it doesn’t seem that the performance would be impacted either way.
But, for interest sake I will try the N Only option and get back to you with the results.

1 Like

N single-stream is 150Mbit/s, with a real-world throughput around 100Mbit/s.

G is 54Mbit/s, with a real-world throughput of only 22 Mbit/s. G is MUCH less efficient.

An HD stream from a camera in live view might generate 150KB/s. That’s 1.2Mb/sec, if the uppercase ‘B’ is Bytes. So, it would take a little over 40 cameras live steaming at once to get to 50% of the 100Mbit/s real-world throughput of a single-stream 150Mbps 802.11n network. Exceed 50%, and you will start encountering issues.

On a G network it would take only 9 cams to get to 50% of the real-world throughput.

Granted, 9 cams streaming at once isn’t possible without multiple devices or shared cams, but you can see the slower G broadcasts can saturate much sooner.

Whatever works for you is fine. Just don’t want people thinking it is a good idea to switch to G. All routers limited to 802.11g should be replaced, IMO. If you have a contention issue between G and N on a higher router, then turn G off so it doesn’t have to decide.

2 Likes

Getting back to my original message though, it seems that the cam protocol stack has a problem resolving the 802.11 mode by negotiation.
If I set the mode to only G or only N the connection is good, but the mixed a/b/g/n default router setting, is causing jitter and delayed streams.

But still testing…

We don’t hear a lot about what you are describing. What model router do you have? I’ve replaced my sister’s twice in the last 6 or so years because of failures of one type or another. The last time it was for intermittent connections.

On Amazon there are several reviews about connection issues.

I am using a Hitron CGN3ACSMR and never have connection problems,

I only have 1 V3 and it is the only device using 2,4GHz and the cam is less than 20 Feet away from the router.

So having a connection issue under these conditions doesn’t make sense.

In my sister’s case the router’s transmitter kept going up and down. Of course that specific instance would affect everything, but that wasn’t my point. If turning G off works for you, go for it. :slight_smile: