Wyze Watch 44 first impressions

OMG! Thank you for posting this information. Who would have guessed that one would need to go through all these extra steps in order to get notifications to work.

Based on that, here’s what I needed to do for a Samsung 7, Android v8.

Settings > Apps > go to the 3 vertical dots at the top right and select Special Access > Notification Access > Wyze and WyzeBand should both be toggled on

Maybe this will all be a moot point with a firmware update, but in the meantime…

This fix also worked for my husband’s 47.

Thank you again, @towelkingdom

1 Like

You’re quite welcome! :relaxed: Glad you got it going!

I think Wyze should mention this in their FAQ. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would’ve expected that since they DO explain about allowing the permission to run in the background. They even include a link that takes you to that setting on your phone. I can’t imagine this would be any more difficult to do.

I have to say, I really like my Wyze Watch 44. I mean, I previously had a Fossil that I spent about $300 on and I feel like this is far and away better (maybe that speaks more about Fossil than Wyze though lol).

At any rate, I have seen a few minor bugs like sometimes needing to restart to fix sync and yes, the notifications are flaky at best, but how much did I spend on this again? I really feel like it’s a great entry to the inexpensive smart watch market (and I LOVE seeing the pic of my two boys on the face!)

2 Likes

As usual, I spoke too soon. It was working yesterday with test messages but today it is back to missing messages. It doesn’t seem consistent.

1 Like

Coming from the iOS side of things, if anyone’s curious, my main intention with this was to use it as a Pebble replacement. I just wanted a simple device that can give me notifications. Now the notifications are coming through, some apps like Delta, Bumble, etc show up as “Other App”. While annoying, it seems I’m not that bad off compared to others above.
I could really use different watchfaces that would have weather on it for quick glances.
The only annoying thing I’m seeing is trying to figure out what motion to make to get the screen on.

1 Like

I got the 44 and using the app on android (note 10)
This watch definitely isn’t for the smart watch connoisseur… but for someone that has NEVER had a smart watch before, it’s actually pretty good (once you get passed it’s quirks.)

So far, all the features work as intended for me. Some issues though, like edge swiping, or scrolling is glitchy. Rise to wake is a bit finicky too, turns on when I’m not looking at it or doesn’t turn on when I raise my wrist.

Overall its a great entry level smart watch

3 Likes

Also disappointed. My 44 will not stay connected to my iPhone Wyze app. Connection is re-established temporarily by rebooting the watch. Also the sports app stops spontaneously erratically so I can’t tell how far I’ve gone. I guess I should be glad it was only $20 but it’s a real disappointment when compared to the quality of the cameras.

3 Likes

how very sad that this watch is almost useless. Weather is never right, double tap does not wake the screen, limited choice of faces, notifications do not work, very fast battery discharge, Better luck next time Wyze people, but this is not a good product. Perhaps new firmware?

1 Like

I have had the Wyze watch 44 for a week now and very disappointed with

1. Screen size (33mm) much smaller than expected
  2. Notifications works now and then
  3. Screen doesn’t turn on when I receive notification
  4. None of the watch faces have steps count display
    5.Used for my walk today and its not accurate with distance and pace when compared to my android phone.
    Wyze watch showed 5.48 miles while my Samsung phone with GPS tuned on showed 6.17miles ( I checked on google maps and its 6.17).
    6.My Wyze band works better than the watch.

At this point its just a watch can’t even use as a pedometer. Not smart watch.

1 Like

Ditto. It’s not even slightly a smart watch. Perhaps not even a dumb watch. Mine measures 1.3 miles for each GPS mile. It doesn’t count steps well. The sports run option stops spontaneously after a few minutes. I rarely get notifications though my phone app is optioned to send them all. Pretty useless except it does keep time and it is a watch. My Rolex doesn’t even do that perfectly.

Martin

I have a hunch the distances is based on step count since the device doesn’t have GPS. I went on a walk yesterday and walked around half my subdivision with the “run” tracking active and it clocked me at 1 mile. A full trip around the subdivision is 1 mile, this should have been .5 miles.

However, if it was expecting a longer stride due to running and calculated distance off that using the total steps, it makes sense that my walk clocked the wrong distance.

1 Like

The 44 took nearly 5 months to arrive and with each passing week, and each review read, I got less and less excited about it. Until it arrived, and then full on disappointment set in. It was 2 days before I even decided to charge it up and put it on. I knew what I was ordering, and the bar was pretty low. I just wanted it to track my heartbeat and my sleep. I was really only planning to wear it while I slept. The heartbeat is way off, I think the Wyze scale is more accurate some how. And the sleep cycle tracking is laughably off - like not even close. I am regularly awake for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night - like wide awake. The 44 had me as awake for 30 mins each night and a ‘light sleep’ for the rest. The silicon straps are so bad that they should have been left out entirely. The interface would have been awesome in 1998.
Dear Wyze,
Stop. Please just go back to cameras and sensors. I’ll grant you the lights aren’t too shabby. But please, stay in your wheelhouse. Work on nothing but your software and maybe, just maybe you won’t end up being a punchline brand.

Your customer, but for how much longer I don’t know,

I own: (2) Pan (2) V3 (1) WCO (12) Bulbs (6) Color Bulbs (2) 44 (1) Scale (2) Outdoor plugs (4) Indoor Plugs

The only thing I want before I never have to buy anything from you again: Sensors (but no way am I buying a subscription).

1 Like

What should I do for IOS :sweat:

I am not sure, unfortunately, as I’m not familiar with iOs since the iPhone 3gs.

@towelkingdom

It took me forever to figure this out. Thank you for posting. (I’m using an LG v60 with android 11.)

1 Like

I uninstalled my watch and reset it and reinstalled, it is working at the moment. (IOS)

After the last Watch 44 update it died. Can’t boot up again. Called customer service and waiting for a replacement. I understand you get what you pay for.

OK, 2+ weeks with the Watch 44. I think ALL of the issues are that the software is still alpha/early beta. It basically works but has many rough edges and needs a number of UI tweaks. Whoever designed the software clearly hasn’t looked at other smartwatches (Pebble apps as a guide would be good) and some of their ideas (like grouping everything under "other apps in notifications) are simply naive/wrong.

This company needs to communicate a roadmap and get feedback. They’ve got a lot here, but they need to make public what they are going to do / users should expect. It strikes me that with a month of work they could make this “good enough” that they could sell a lot of devices.

5 Likes