Wyze Video Doorbell "QR code is incorrect"

Received the replacement today. Hooked it up and was installed in 5 minutes. Everything is working great.

This error happened to me with my router. I had to temporarily disable 5ghz and try again. That seemed to do the trick.

I think error message needs to be updated , it is pretty generic right now and even misleading.
My router had blocked the mac address of doorbell. I changed router settings to unblock the MAC address to fix "QR code incorrect " issue.
The error should say, ā€œunable to connect to internetā€ with specific error code that user can share with WYZE.

I installed the failed doorbell at a different home with success ā€“ 600 miles from the original failed installation. No difference in procedure, just a different network environment.

Installed VDB and it worked perfectly fine. Our internet went down a few days later and the VDB would not reconnect. Tried to reinstall and got the QR CODE IS INCORRECT. Did every troubleshooting step they gave and nada. I have had success with all my other Wyze devices, this is the first dud.

Itā€™s now late April and no resolution. Iā€™ve filed three tickets with support and gotten zero answers other than automated responses. This is my last Wyze purchase. The answers on the self help page are non sensical. Cant connect? Try upgrading your firmware. How can they not realize you canā€™t update firmware without connecting the device. Wyze has a lot of potentialā€¦unfortunately piss poor tech support has been the downfall of many a great start up.

1 Like

I have to conclude Wyze does not have this bug figured out. It has been languishing for months. My experience with one VDB was fine, but a second experienced the dreaded QR code issue. It only resolved by moving to a completely new network environment where the QR code issue magically vanished. If it was simply a known firmware bug in the VDB, why hasnā€™t Wyze shipped replacements to stranded customers that canā€™t connect?

1 Like

My issue was eventually solved when I discovered that the VDB was trying to PING a certain IP as part of the setup but couldnā€™t. Once I opened up ICMP on my firewall, setup finished and I was able to get the VDB working.

This appears to be a different requirement from their other devices as Iā€™ve not had to do this for any of their cameras, plugs, etc.

Hope this helps someone.

My problem resolved when I turned off cellular and data on my phone. These same settings had caused similar issues setting up a SmartThings product some time ago.

Daniel Wille
[Mod Edit]

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

I did what another person said to get connection. I have new 5G phones with Android 10 and they would not connect. So I took out my old Note 8 with Android Version 9. Turned off my Access Control in my router. Brought my router to the front door for best signal possible. Finally got connection on first try. Once it connected I was able to see it on all devices. Now the bell wonā€™t ring at times and I get nothing from the Lil speaker thing. Iā€™ll save that problem for another day.

Try opening port 23 on your router. For
Some reason this fixed my connection drop issues

And now itā€™s June 2021 and 2 out of 3 do the same.

Whatā€™s the latest fix

2 Likes

Mine too. I was there was an app update lastnight, maybe Iā€™ll retry to connect it.

Iā€™ve tried every possible fix both suggested by Wyze and Wyze supporters but to no avail.

This is still an open issue for many. Our video doorbells are useless. Can you please bump this up on the bug fix list?

1 Like

I was getting a QR code fail massage. After hours of troubleshooting, i found an issue with my doorbell not connecting thru wifi. In my case, my mobile phone was switching to 5ghz as i was thinking that selecting SSID 2.4ghz will stay connected as 2.4ghz, I was wrong(It does switch). I went into my router setting. I turned off all SSID except only guest 2.4ghz. Then i went into my cell phone and log into SSID under guest, then retry to connect the doorbell then bhhhamm it worked. Hope this will help.

Thanks for sharing. I have tried this, except for the guest part. My guest wifi has a seperate SSID, do how did you login as a guest? Thanks. With my wifi I can toggle off/on 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

Iā€™ll retry this and turn off my guest and 5ghz wifi, leaving only the 2.4ghz, delete the wifi settings from my phone, reboot, relogin, and try to reconnect the camera.

Every attempt thus far has failed. :frowning:

On your phone please remove all previously login wifi SSID by selecting forget. After that reboot your phone. Then select the new 2.4ghz SSID, Log in and retry. Hope this will help you.

Dang. It didnā€™t work. This doorbell has proven to be quite useless for me.

1 Like

I was getting the ā€œQR code is incorrectā€ message when installing my doorbell. I gambled that I was simply too far away from my router and bought a wi-fi extender for $26 via Amazon. It fixed the problem. Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestion. The WiFi signal is solid. The doorbell is only about 20ā€™ from the router. Iā€™ve done everything and anything to get this thing to connect, but so far every step has failed. :frowning: Iā€™m hoping the support ticket I opened up a few months ago gets more attention.

1 Like