Wyze Video Doorbell Has to use External Chime?

is there anything you can purchase/addon to make it work with wyze doorbell?

I doubt itā€¦it would require the wyze doorbell to interrupt the circuit of power that it is wired into, if they didnt build it into the unit then there is no way to add it. Basically someone would press the door bell but the power to the chime would never change so it wouldnt know to chime

ok so itā€™s a limitation from the Wyze Video Doorbell then? Ahhh okā€¦ I thought maybe something with my red wires could be used in conjuction with the house chime lol

2 Likes

Yup, for the price difference its well worth it. I was shocked when I saw how cheap it is. Iā€™m going to order one, just wish I didnt have to wait till January to get it

1 Like

me too!! especially since im trying to figure out how to turn it into a peephole camera, lol - looking at what i need to order to convert, but without unit to test on i cant do much till it arrivesā€¦

1 Like

There must be a way to purchase/add something to make the chime work parallel with with the House Mechanical chime, iā€™ll wait until some DIYā€™ers get ahold of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

what size is your peephole? thereā€™s always a way :wink:

I doubt it. the principle of how a standard doorbell works is like I described above, itā€™s mechanical. when u push the doorbell, itā€™s essentially connecting the 2 wires together which allows the voltage to go to the chime to sound. I donā€™t see a way to both power the wyze DB and have an open circuit for the chime. even if u were to power the DB with another source, when u press the button, there is no mechanical way to bridge the wires going to the chime/transformer. I was initially thinking I would miss the old chime, but the wyze chime works great.

1 Like

cuz I dont want additional things plugged into my sockets if not required. If I could hide the Wyze Chime inside the Doorbell Chime Socket, taht would be great :slight_smile: Do you think the wyze chime can be hidden that way?

I think this is gnna be a really popular question, cuz ppl dont want to have additiobal wall chimes beside their original house chime to mess with the astheticā€™s/modern house layout (like mine)

1 Like

the only way to hide the wyze chime inside the original chime housing would be if there was existing 110v power which is highly unlikely. if u could get power there, sure that would work.

1 Like

if you do have the power, here are the dimensions to see if it will fit

Wyze Chime: 1.9685ā€™ā€™ x 1.9685ā€™ā€™ x 1.37795ā€™ā€™
Wyze Chime: 2.0 oz / 56g

however i have only seen 2 people ask about this, and only 1 that is really concerned about it - if it were me i would much rather take off the ugly chime from high up where everyone can see it and transition to a very small unit that plugs in out of common site lines

good point, those things are def ugly

So, waitā€¦ Wyze isnā€™t going to allow users to use the homeā€™s built in chime? I was so looking forward to ditching my ring doorbell and going with Wyzeā€¦ But not if I canā€™t use my existing house chime.

For what itā€™s worth, my ring doorbell is wired, uses the house chime, and stays charged almost 100% all the time. Why would this not be possible with the Wyze doorbell?

this implies that it has a battery, which increases size and cost, wyze went with smaller and more affordable. The batt would maintain power for the doorbell camera when the button is pushed and the circuit is broken for the old chime.

Well, thatā€™s good information to know. I guess Iā€™ll have to stick with Ring, which is a bummer. I love my house chimeā€™s sound.

What if we donā€™t have a doorbell we in a rental can it still be installed

Wyze is not using a battery in their doorbell, it needs constant power.

there are transformers you can buy that you plug into a nearby outlet, then wire to the doorbell.

https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Thermostat-Competible-Versions-Honeywell/dp/B07DJ7RHS5/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2TBAL518Y0M3H&dchild=1&keywords=24v+transformer&qid=1600804770&sprefix=24v+%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-7

I didnā€™t see it advertised, but it also has a micro usb connector that will power the device.

1 Like

I am also in a rental without a doorbell, and will be ordering a similiar transformer that @Ken.S mentionedā€¦however i would check with your landlord before doing anything, especially if it requires altering the exterior, dont want to loose that security deposit :nerd_face:

I talked with mine and they are cool with me replacing the peephole with this as long as it isnt screwed into the door itself, so i will be finding a threaded tube with a flat nut to screw the baseplate onto, then stick that through the peephole and attach the existing piece from inside. This will allow the wires to pass through and the unit to be affixed to the door without altering anythingā€¦hopefully, lol

I suppose if you found a transformer that had a flat cable, it could easily go through the door jam, then use double back tape or command strip to attach to door frame.

for your peephole, were u wanting to mount the doorbell behind the door or in front? I thought u were wanting behind the door, and was thinking even if the lens were to fit in the hole from behind, the IR lights would be blocked.

if i was designing it i would have had the lens and button be able to detach so it could go outside, and it would come with a threaded tube to go through the existing peephole hole (lol) and connect with the main part of the unit with most of the guts being on the insideā€¦and there would be an optional battery pack instead of just hard wired, and of course sd card - which would be inside so its secure.

as is my plan is to have the unit outside the door, and just the cables running through the peephole hole (lol again), then one of those plug in transformers with a long cable going straight over to the hingesā€¦leaving enough cable so the door can open and close without affecting itā€¦luckily i have an outlet within about 5 feet of the door. it isnt going to be super pretty, but hey its a rental :smiley:

My Doorbell is Manual, it has no power. Guess Iā€™m out of luck.