Wyze v3 massive DNS traffic

Considering that microprocessors are rated in millions of instructions per second, a few pins here and there won’t really be an issue….

This logic is deeply flawed. Please see the initial post and note you are discarding the evidence which details the issues this is actually causing on my network. I am only one example… look at the years of reports of this issue and you will see responses like yours which discounts the communities reports of real issues they are having with the product. This might be why it hasn’t been a priority of Wyze to address. Seeing this coming I provided the info as to why this is a big thing. See my post where I call this out

Here is a nice visualization of the traffic generated, and the issues that volume of traffic is causing on my IDP (For those that will say “dns traffic is so light” or… “this is nbd”.

It’s not a normal thing the cam does. It bugs out and does this till a reboot and it’s ok for a bit. You can see periodic traffic to resolve www.google.com that isn’t excessive at all (once every ~1 min)…. Thousands of dns requests in a second are not pings. Ping is ICMP mrengineer and the traffic in question isn’t a ping. It’s dns traffic over DNS port 53. And sending thousands of unnecessary packets in a single second is going to tax your network. Especially when you run packet inspection. This light weight traffic is worse than heavy duty traffic in this instance. A few chunky packets that add up to a MB (think video) and thousands of byte size packets that add up to a MB are not processed the same in the eyes of a security appliance.

To put this into prospective yet again; I cannot reach that level of CPU utilization on my security gateway with legit traffic. Never happened once. Yet an idle cam can generate more packet load than my entire network can under load. Even if I completely saturate my bandwidth with the fam streaming, gaming, and whatnot we aren’t seeing that level of packets on the network.

When the cam is flipping out it essentially limits the available bandwidth I can see from my ISP as I won’t have the processing power to…process it.

Before you suggest disabling IDP, I would ask if Wyze ever wants these to be used by a business. If so then they need to play nice with advanced networking and security and never never never ever offer up a solution that is “turn off security”. Regardless of that, this will add latency to any WiFi network and to just seems silly to write this off as acceptable behavior by any networked device when it does not need to be sending anywhere near this volume, and typically does not.

2 Likes

It is latency and ping, not just raw data, plus you missed the part with thousands of times per second not once per second. It does have an impact on gaming for sure, as many internet service providers like Xfinity have much smaller upload speed compared to down. Wyze cameras constantly uploading events like rain or snow can consume the majority of ones upload speed when you have a half dozen cameras or sometimes dozens.

Quoted " I am having an issue with my Wyze cam v3 sending several thousand DNS requests each second. This is causing problems with my Wi-Fi and my security gateway’s CPU. Sending several thousand packets like this causes ~60% CPU consumption to process all of the suspicious traffic. This limits bandwidth for legitimate traffic on my network so I need to resolve this."

1 Like

I also talked about the camera using a lot of bandwidth if you do NOT have a memory card in it - does the culprit camera have a memory card in it?

Also, as a diagnostic test, try turning off all sound and motion detection (and AI events if you have camplus) in the culprit camera and see if that changes your dns traffic.

I’ve been suffering from unreliable wifi for nearly a year. I mean multiple times an hour we would get disconnected or just hang. I was about to hire someone to come in and find the source of interference after trying different routers, a mesh network and scanning for nearby wifi signals. I found this thread by accident yesterday. I turned off, not unplugged, the only v3 I had on the network. Boom, rock solid wi-fi ever since. And yes, I have the latest firmware. So here is another testimonial that the v3 is the culprit.

3 Likes

Did your v3 camera have a memory card in it?

No, it did not.

Try putting in a memory card and it very well might start working OK and not cause wifi problems.

If it still causes problems after installing the memory card, then try turning off “AI object recognition” which is part of CamPlus subscription (but you can keep your regular non-ai motion alerts enabled if you want)

It would be greatly appreciated if you could let us know if your culprit camera had a memory card in it, and if not, did installing one fix this DNS issue?

Adding a memory card does not fix the problem regardless since a memory card is not required.

Did you actually try installing a memory card and turning off AI-Events or are you just assuming it won’t work?

So did you put a sd card in?

Somebody should have addressed this before. That’s just not true.

This is misleading / wrong. The SD motion recording options are separate and independent from the cloud event recording optiona and subsequent “AI” analysis. There is exactly the same amount of bandwidth consumed for cloud events regardless of which i(f any) AI options are selected.

1 Like

“Somebody should have addressed this before. That’s just not true.”

I could be wrong (because I do not have access to the source code), but my observation supports my theory (and it’s just a theory and thats why I said “seems”).

So what is your theory of why installing a memory card fixes certain wifi problems?

“cloud event recording option and subsequent “AI” analysis”

I just checked and if I disable event recording, it disables AI analysis, so now I understand that AI analysis is performed on the event recording and does not use a separate stream. Thank you.

So now that I eliminated the event recording as a possible cause for certain wifi issues, it further supports my theory that not having a memory card can cause wifi issues.

All mine have SD cards from the start. Sounds like Wyze has issues when cards are not installed, and many may not be aware their home wifi issues are caused by their newly installed cameras.

1 Like

I agree.

Same here all cams have cards from when they were deployed.

1 Like

Sorry but you are still missing the point. The local SD card recordings are not “events” in Wyze app parlance. The SD recording has nothing, nada, zero to do with Wyze cloud event recording. There is no “always streaming to the cloud”. Detected motion is optionally uploaded. SD cards have nothing to do with Wyze cloud event recording. They are two separate sets of setting.

You are missing my point (theory) in that v3 cameras seem to use/mess up wifi when there is no sd card. I’m guessing this is because if there was a memory card, and I was the developer of the camera’s firmware, I would record the event video to the SD card first so that 1) It can be done quickly, 2) Low chance of video getting “lost” due to a bad connection if the video was being streamed directly from the image sensor, then I would upload the video to the cloud. But when there is no SD card, it appears the camera interacts with the cloud server much differently and this is what I think is causing wifi issues.

Another theory I have is that since event recordings include 3-4 seconds of video BEFORE the motion happens, this can ONLY be accomplished by CONTINUOUSLY recording the video to something in a loop, because otherwise it will not be able to provide those 3-4 seconds BEFORE the motion was triggered and then full recording started. And if the camera does not have enough internal memory to record that 3-4 seconds of pre-event video, and there is NO SD card, then the only conclusion is that it must be streaming it to the cloud constantly (hence my second theory), otherwise where is this 3-4 seconds of pre-event video coming from if there isn’t enough internal memory for it and there is no SD card? But if you know for a fact that there is enough internal memory (even when there is NO SD card) to record a looping 3-4 seconds of pre-video, then obviously my second theory doesn’t hold up.

"The SD recording has nothing, nada, zero to do with Wyze cloud event recording. "

I beg to differ - Unless you have a better theory, my working theory is that if there is no memory card, then the camera interacts differently with the cloud servers (than if there is an SD card), and somehow this is messing up the wifi.

1 Like