Wyze USB power adapter Caught Fire and Melted AC Prongs

What !!! Are you okay ? This is the first time I have heard about a camera bursting into flames :fire:

Yikes, very sorry to hear/see that. Was the AC adaptor outdoors as well?

Did the camera also catch fire or just the adapter? And was the adapter outside where it could get wet?

Not the camera just adapter and yes outside, same type of connection that i use for pool pump, lights, other security cameras,

Thank you,

1 Like

Wyze USB adapter Fires have been happening for over 2 years :exclamation:

Not the first time a Wyze USB adapter has done this: USB adapter fire

Another link on Reddit Yet another Wyze USB Fire

I have 8 out of 24 wyze cams still on those dangerous USB power supplies, I guess I will soon have all 24 cameras on my own power systems.

Currently 14 of my outside cams are on this setup: Battery Backed-Up 14 V3 cams and Internet Communications

And 2 at driveway on similar setup with solar panels, solar charge controller and 100 Ah battery.

This has convinced me to get the last 8 of those cheap Wyze Fire Hazards out of my Wyze setup :exclamation:

@MILLSON.JOHN those adapters are NOT for outside, however these adapters have caught fire inside too as seen in the other posts.

Customer Support

There are many ways to contact Wyze. Their phone number is (206) 339-9646, or you can chat with an agent or create a ticket on the support site .

They’re open for support between 4 am-8 pm PT Monday through Friday, and 8 am-4 pm PT Saturday.

2 Likes

@MILLSON.JOHN

I will pass this up the chain and you should hear from Wyze soon. Do you have a support ticket number that I can pass along?

6 Likes

Oh, yikes! We are super sorry to hear this happened and we’re glad everyone is okay, @MILLSON.JOHN. While these aren’t intended for outdoor use, we still take this seriously and would like to take this back to look into what happened with the hardware and send you a replacement free of charge.

I’ll tell the support team to look for your ticket since you have already tried contacting us. Do you have a ticket number for us to look up? And as a check, this wasn’t sent in as a log, correct? Our support team doesn’t have access to logs.

support.wyze.com

4 Likes

The USB adapter in the other post I referenced above that happened in Aug 2019 was that one sent back and diagnosed by Wyze as to the reason it caught fire?

Also there was a Wyze Sprinkler controller power supply that caught fire too, was that diagnosed?

Hopefully the failure is diagnosed and a solution is found to keep this from happening again :exclamation:

1 Like

That is very much the goal! We take these back to look into if there are patterns or areas of weakness we need to adjust in manufacturing or if there’s something else going on.

@MILLSON.JOHN, we found your ticket and are working on it now. Thank you very much for posting so we can check both into the hardware issue and into how this fell in the cracks. We appreciate your assistance.

2 Likes

I have lost a number of the usb adaptors outdoors for various things when water got in them including a couple of the Wyze ones that came with the cameras, none had ever caught fire but shorted out and ceased to work. The Wyze adaptors and the other ones I used just weren’t made for being in the elements but I took that chance. Something your post has made me realize not to do anymore, even though I knew not the best idea, but a quick resolution one.

Wyze did just release these and I got a few for the cameras I use outdoors that I did not pull power lines to.

Glad your incident didn’t cause as much damage as it could have.

2 Likes

For powering outdoor remote cameras I use “Low Voltage Wiring” and burying the wire from an A.C. power outlet (indoors) power supply to the cameras. Then use a 12 volt to 5 volt micro-USB regulator adapter and install to camera.

The power Supply mounts indoors but the cable to camera can be longer as the 5 volts is regulated at the camera. And Voltage drop due to cable length is not an issue as the regulator will work with as low as 9 volts input.

I have ran over 180 feet of 2 conductor cable to camera with this setup, use low voltage lighting wiring it can be buried, it is weatherproof and UV resistant.

Connect the 12v to 5v micro-USB regulator adapter to cable matching polarity ( +red -black ) along cable where a camera is needed if more than 1 camera just get a 12 volt adapter with more current (Amps) The Adapter regulator is weatherproof except the micro-USB itself but the boot on the V3 takes care of that.

Links below to several power supplies, 1 Amp for 1 camera, 2 Amp for 2 cameras, or 5 amp for 5 cameras,
choose according to your needs. The cable run can have multiple connections for cameras along cable.

12 volt input to 5 volt output micro-USB cable (adapter)

12 volt power supply 1 amp with connector adapter

12 volt power supply 2 amp with connector adapter

12 volt power supply 5 amp with connector adapter

14/2 Low Voltage Landscape Wire - 100 feet

Gardner Bender 25-1W1 Watergard Weatherproof Twist-On Wire Connectors, 22-12 AWG, Small Direct-Buried

Also if you already have a 12-14 volt DC power source for the other devices you stated you could just use the Weatherproof 12 volt to 5 volt micro-USB adapter for your V3

This location originally had a V2 in an enclosure, the 12v to 5v adapter has been exposed to rain, snow, and heat of summer for over 3 years. Recently replaced V2 with a V3

Below is an event captured by this camera, note I don’t use IR as I get too many flying bug triggers.

This is a link to my Overly-Engineered Wyze Cam setup…LOL
Battery Backed-Up 14 V3 cams and Internet Communications

1 Like

Not really proud of this, but this is what my cams on my back patio looked like

I am sure a hazard waiting to happen and where i had killed a few usb ac adaptors.

With the new Outdoor plugs this is the redo

I feel much better about this setup

1 Like

Looks good! Only room for improvement is routing the lines out of the PoE injector up one slat to be able to tuck them under. (Or running them from inside without using the outdoor AC outlet.)

Thats the wyze outdoor plug with the wyze outdoor ac adaptors. Was gonna run under the siding. And didnt wanna drag power when I had a plug close😁.

Will be covering the box

That’s what I meant. From what I can see the top of the outlet is at the level where you could tuck the cables behind the siding.

1 Like

I measured my 8 remaining Wyze USB power supplies with an infrared thermometer and all were between 78-89 degrees Fahrenheit currently.

They all will be replaced eventually into my battery based backup system.
Battery Backed-Up 14 V3 cams and Internet Communications

Just need the time and parts / cabling to complete…

Then no more worries of a Wyze based FIRE :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Because I can’t seem to follow directions, I used a power adapter outside and shorted it out.
Luck was with me as the Wyze Cam still works great using a different power adapter.

2 Likes

Luck was with you when you didn’t burn down your house :fire: :fire: :fire: :astonished:

2 Likes

Exactly, I posted so that others might see and prevent a problem.