Wyze Thermostat With Heat Pump

I agree. I wanted to leave it up long enough to get some help through customer support, but it appears no one else has been able to get any answers either and they’ve been waiting longer than I have. Not sure why it’s taking so long to get a response unless they just don’t know why this is happening. In which case, I’d rather them just come out and say that.

I agree. I won’t be switching back because I’m a Wyze fanboy, but the temp swings are larger than I’m used too. It seems like the second stage heat kicks on right at the end of the heating cycle causing the temp to over reach by several degrees.
Hopefully with firmware updates etc, it’s not the final product we are left with.

I am hoping it is just because of the holiday. Everyone maybe just on PTO. Wait until next week to draw a conclusion.

I do find it a little odd that there doesn’t seem to be any feedback from Wyze on the forum yet, or at least an email or pinned thread to let everyone know they are working on the concerns, or will address the concerns after the holiday etc.

would hate to see someone short something in there system trying different things to get the wyze thermostat to work the way their old thermostat worked, especially in the winter season.

1 Like

Absolutely. I get that it’s the holidays and people may be on vacation, but the complete lack of response is just puzzling to me.

Here’s another one for you. Current set point is 68. Thermostat is reading 67, no heat call. I looked at the app, and it says it’s 67 and heating to 68! So the app says the thermostat is doing one thing, the thermostat says another. Perfect…

I kind of experienced the same issue. Showed it was cooling and it wasn’t.

Mines doing it right now. Here’s the app screen, but the system isn’t currently running.

I think the rest of my issues (no temperature variance setting, no ability to show if Aux Heat is currently running, no way to manually engage Aux Heat) are just software bugs or features that just haven’t been fully implemented yet. However after talking to someone today at Wyze, my problem with the 2° temperature drop when the system calls for heat may be a faulty temperature sensor on the thermostat. They are supposed to replace it, so we’ll see if that solves that issue at least. Hopefully by the time the replacement arrives, there will be some answers to the other issues.

I also noticed that the display sometimes doesn’t match reality. This post in another forum (rather long thread but a good read as it includes posts from a thermostat software engineer) might have the answer:
“You can fool yourself by using the temperature shown on any thermostat. I have used several Honeywell, Insteon, Venstar, and ecobees stats and none of them show the temperature accurately at all times.
The thermostats attempt to short cycle, or lengthen cycle, or compensate somehow for outside temperatures, weather, humidity, or other comfort affecting factor. Instead fo using another register for the result they use the same register that appears on the front of the thermostat and the human sees the fabricated and fictitious resultant instead of the real sensed temperature of the room.”
https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/27377-anyone-else-hating-their-ecobees-now/page/2/
From reading other info in this post, I’ve decided that no matter what I use I’m going to make a mounting plate about a 1/2" thick to space my stat off the wall a bit and use some foam insulation around the control wire hole (in case I’m getting air leakage to the wall cavity from the attic) Can’t hurt.

1 Like

That’s some good info to know, thank you for sharing that. I never used to go vent to vent with a thermometer probe until I got this Wyze. :joy: Been tracking nearly every heating cycle like a maniac when I’m home… My wife is starting to get a little annoyed with me I think, lol.

1 Like

Thanks for the thread. I’m following along to see if there will be an update that will show AUX heat status in the app and on the Wyze thermostat too, for a heat pump system. That is a feature I liked about my old classic thermostat control before I installed the Wyze thermostat. I could bump on AUX heat for a little boost when I wanted. First world problems though, huh? Happy holidays.

If you wire the emergency heat wire to * and then set up it up in the app it asks what is wired to *. You can tell it emergency heat, Then there is a setting on the thermostat to manually turn on emergency heat.

After reading this thread I’m a bit confused. Reading elsewhere on other HVAC sites it seems you can wire your inside electric coiled heater to aux or E. Basically the Heat Pump is primary and the inside coils can be used as an auxiliary heat or emergency heat. The difference being with aux they kick on automatically and emergency they have to manually be turned on.

Which is the proper way to handle it? Right now I have mine set to emergency but I’m questioning whether they should be aux. Perhaps it’s latitude dependent?

They were previously wired to a terminal labeled aux/e in my old thermostat which is not helpful. Lol

You wire it mirroring original thermostat.
My old system it was W2 therefore reading and properly following directions I hooked it up to W1. Which is the correct way to wire.
There is no “emergency heat” option. It is first and second stage heat.
Telling folks to wire their system differently than the directions state could less to serious issue. And cause serious malfunctions.

The problem is the original thermostat had it wired to AUX/E so is it aux or emergency? Depending on which you choose the Wyze app will tell you different wiring. If I choose emergency it tells me *. If I choose aux it tells me “W1”. It’s my understanding teh heater coils can be used as AUX or emergency. One supplements and one is used on it’s own. If my wiring were clearer then I would definately mirror it but I need to choose. This is compounded by the fact that the coils can really be used for aux or Emg making my choice unclear.

I had the exact same thermostat previously that’s in your picture. The directions I followed never mentioned hooking it up to the star labeled connector.
I (also assumed that the second stage heat) like on the previous thermostat would be 1.) supplemental and 2.) selectable emergency if needed.
My previous thermostat could be both without having to wire differently.
It may be something I have to further look into.
Is this something you’ve already done and found different settings depending on where it’s connected?

I have a Black and White wire connected to Aux/E on my current thermostat. What is the standard? Which is Aux and which is Emergency? Does it matter?

Seems that many of us have the same T’stat with the same wiring, same problem and same question. I have a support ticket in with Wyze with pics, and details (which I pasted into another thread). I’ve been waiting for a response for a couple of days.

Another thing that might help some others. At one point I had the “Coast to Cool” setting turned on. I think this might have been causing my HEAT to never work properly and run much more than normal. It wouldn’t reach the target temp and would start again shortly after it cycled.

1 Like

I turned that setting off as well because I noticed the same thing happening.

1 Like