Wyze Thermostat - Wiring Help!

Hi sorry for the late reply. I honestly believe I did not have the metal doors firmly in place which made the furnace not kick on. I took them off one more time and looked at my wiring and then put them back on a little more forcefully and I heard a click from both. Went upstairs to check and thermostat was good to go.

3 Likes

Thank you for getting back to us.

1 Like

Hello,

Just received my Wyze Thermostat. I do not have a C wire. The adapter is not going to work based on where my thermostat is mounted. Is it possible to not use the G wire as a fan wire and change it to the C wire? I never run the fan alone??? Losing out on fan control would not be an issue if that would work for the thermostat.

The adapter installs at your furnace, not at the thermostat.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t see much of a set of instructions and assumed it would be at the Tstat

You can Google "How to setup my Wyze Thermostat " for some excellent videos that walk you thru the complete install. It covers the use of the “C” adapter.

Thanks a ton. That You Tube video explains everything…

What do you mean by both ends?

I was having very similar issues with my thermostat not having a C wire.
I hooked up everything correctly and nothing worked.
Turns out the wyze included connector that goes on the furnace blew my furnace fuse.
Everytime I turned it on with the wyze adapter, it blew the fuse.

After a bit of testing it turns out my furnace was a bit too old.
Fixed the issue by simply replacing the wire that goes from my furnace to my thermostat (added 18/5 thermostat cable; this includes the C cable).
With this wire replacement, I had no need for the wyze adapter and all worked on the first try.

I am having an issue hooking up the Wyze Thermostat as well. At the wall thermostat I have 2 wires hooked up, 1 Red, 1 Green, and a spare white.
At the furnace area I have an Argo Valve control board.
Only two wires hooked up red and green. There is nonspot for anything else.
I tried hooking the white wire to the 24v after the transformer. I test with a multimeter I get 24v between the red and green, red and white, green and white. The thermostat does not come on. I hooked the white wire to the C spot on the Wyze thermostat. The red wire to the W1 and the green to the RC as the app suggests.
Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Generally TT terminals won’t provide enough current to run a thermostat from, but you could use an isolation relay. This diagram shows you the way to hook it up using only 3 wires, and power the wyze, but instead of an aquastat, you have a zone control)

1 Like

Hi Speadie,
Thanks for the diagram and information. My current thermostat runs off the two wires and batteries of course.
By the looks of the diagram the two wires coming from the TT terminals don’t matter going to the isolation relay. I understand not liking to give recommendations, but would you have a link or part number for an isolation relay that you are talking about? Also, couldn’t I just use the two transformer terminals on the valve control board. I circled them in the control board picture on the top left. I tried splicing the spare white wite to one of the transformer 24v terminals to hook to the C on the Wzye to give it power, but that didn’t work. I had the 24v, but its not working. I have a C adapter that came with the Wyze Thermostat, but I don’t see how I could hook that up to make any difference. I’ve read people talking about supplying external power with an adapter of some sort that plugs into the wall…
But I’m not sure how that would work with my system.
Sorry for all of the questions and my confusion.

It’s hard to see from your diagram how the white wire is the common. But, I just went thru a 30 minute installation that turned into a 2 day ( on and off) chore. I have a 2 wire system also. I did need to change over to 3 wires in order to do it right and not a quick fix by running a separate common thru the wall.
Anyway, I discovered that by reversing the red and white wires ( in your case the red and green) either at the furnace or the t stat, I was able to get power. I also used the Rc terminal instead of the Rh. Your common seems to be the white wire. I have a Taco relay and support told me that I had to reverse the wires because way back when, their relays were only set up for 2 wires because wireless t stats were not available.

Now if I can figure out how to program the damn thing.

1 Like

You might be able to use the zone board’s transformer, as long as using it doesn’t cause chatter on any of the relays.

As for an isolation relay, I use 24V NO fan relays (emerson, supco, potter/brumsfield, packard, etc). Mostly because I already have them in my kit, but really any normally open 24VAC relay would do.

example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LDCPQS/

1 Like

Thanks Chris and Speadie,

Hey Chris,

I appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

I had a chance to mess with it again today after messing with it a while yesterday and previous days.

I took your suggestion and ended up moving the red and white wires for consistancy like the other TT terminals.

Today I hooked up the C adapter that came with it as I figured I have nothing to lose.

I tested with my meter and as you suggested and I paid more attention this time to my readings and which wires.

The C-adapter:

I hooked the Red from the TT terminal on the Argo board to the W on the C-Adaper, the White from the TT terminal to the R on the C-Adapter.

The Green wire (white in my pictures I sent previously) that seemed to be a spare to the G terminal on the C-Adapter.

The TT left I hooked the R wire from thr C-Adapter.
The TT right I hooked the W wire from the C-Adapter.

I checked the wires continuity of the C-Adapter with my meter so I could understand that.

I then hooked the C wire from the C-Adapter to the left yellow terminal on my Argo board transformer and the G wire from the C-Adapter to the righ yellow terminal on the Argo board transformer.

I tested like you suggested. Prob on the left yellow Argo board transformer.

To the C-Adapter.

Y = 0v

W = 27v

R = 0v

G = 0v

I tested like you suggested. Prob on the right yellow Argo board transformer.

To the C-Adapter.

Y = 27v

W = 0v

R = 25v

G = 27v

At the thermostat I tested.

Red to White = 25.8v

Red to Green(C) = 27v

White to Green(C) = 0v

Now that I had that, I was able to hook up the Wyze Thermostat.

Red Wire = Rc slot

White Wire = W1 slot

Green Wire(C) = C slot

Well after all if that, wouldn’t you know it!!

We got it working!!

I appreciate all of your help and ideas.

Thanks again.

Lenny