Wyze Thermostat - Smart home heating & cooling

I am in the same boat, with the exception that I would replace my Nest thermostat in a heartbeat. It does the job and I like it but Google is making it very hard to do the things I do with the killing off of the Works with Nest and not truly coming up with any equal replacement for that. So I would love to have something in the WYZE ecosystem.

4 Likes

I feel the same way. I like my Nest, but if the right thing came along at the right price point, I’d certainly be open to replacing it, especially if there are some compelling features to tie it into my other Wyze products.

4 Likes

As Wrecks0 noted, I would also like a thermostat that doesn’t need a C wire. The Nest I have had for years doesn’t need one. I just bought an Ecobee, because I am moving away from Google stuff and I got immediate rebates from my gas and electric suppliers. I didn’t realize you need a C wire with it until I went to install it. It includes an adapter, but you have to wire it into your furnace. I think I’ll wait to see what Wyze offers before I either attempt to install it or have to pay someone to install it.

1 Like

Greetings net ranger. If you have at least average geek skills the c wire adapter is pretty easy. Also the folks at ecobee are extremely helpful. I installed mine almost a year ago and love it. Your existing thermo may not have a c wire hooked up but in fact there may be one on the furnace panal (inside). That’s where I found mine and just tied into it. The old wires had lots of spares so it was easier than I first thought once I got into it. The device itself is fantastic. Take a good look at both ends before giving up :slight_smile:

I also went the Nest route and really can’t recommend it. It’s made well but programming is poor. There is no hold function and it overshoots set temperature by 2+ degrees which gets very aggravating. After hours on the phone with Nest all I got was we did it that way to save your furnace from coming on too often. At least my HVAC guy got a good laugh out of it.

I would request :

1. Maintain a 1 degree temp, range not 2.
  2. Hold temp function
  3. Not require a “C” wire, I don/t mind changing batteries now and then.
1 Like

During development of this, which I’m kind of excited about, I hope there is time and ability to consider:

• Compatibility with non-traditional interface methods and protocols.
    The best example of this I can think of is Rheem EcoNet protocol, which uses serial communications over just four wires (as opposed to contact closures and five or more wires). It’s a great system that allows for easy retrofitting of more efficient HVAC systems in house where running a new, eight-conductor cable for a new thermostat would be very expensive, if it’s even an option.
    This likely adds some hardware complexity but the protocol should be fairly easy to integrate.

• Ability for a third-party partner device to truly integrate such that both thermostat and other device can control each other.
    Even at the peak of Nest and ecobee integrations neither has worked with a third party device (such as a “smart” floor register or fan) to control or or delay thermostat operation, or control the other device.
    Such a feature might have the thermostat turn on a floor or ceiling fan, for example, to make the user comfortable before turning on the Heat or AC, reducing the time the HVAC system needs to run. Or, a fan might realize it can’t keep up with rising temps and tell the thermostat to turn the AC on earlier than it might otherwise.

1 ecobee does 1 deg c all day long
2 hold function works with a choice.
3 c wire not a big issue. Easy work around included

Latest version has Alexa built in

My nest has always stopped at 1 degree, my problem is Google removing the Works with Nest functionality. That is why I am in the market to change.

1 Like

Yes! I am still waiting for a smart thermostat that supports line voltage (120/240VAC) for electric baseboards. Nest, Ecobee, and Honeywell do not support baseboard heating.

Mysa, Stelpro, and Sinope look bootstrapped.

One requirement is HomeKit support and a slick app experience.

3 Likes

I suspect that if your electric heat supplier is paying attention they would by now have a simple relay they can install as a work around and this will allow any normal thermostat to work just fine. Just a thought !

Just another perspective, when we replaced our heating/cooling system it came with a nice Nexia thermostat (with humidity control and other options), and it has WiFi and it’s own app. Of course I can watch the temperature and humidity from anywhere, change the setpoints, get alerts, set programs,watch trends, etc. So I’m pretty happy with it.

It just seems that creating yet another smart thermostat would be kinda silly since good ones already exist. The research to create the logic for anticipation, PI control, and auto tuning, real thermostat stuff rather than wireless remote stuff would be a lot of work reinventing the wheel.

Maybe a better approach might be to find the “best” wireless thermostat out there, and just make a shell to fully integrate it into the Wyze system.

Much lower development cost, uses proven tech, higher reliability, much faster development, and quite a few more potential advantages.

Like I said, just an alternate way to consider. Yes, a totally in-house product would be great, but maybe a different approach might be, well, wyzer!

Should also have built in the ability to hook up auxiliary devices such as whole-house humidifiers, zone control (remote sensors can turn on/off specific zones/circulators or vents if the house is equipped), etc.

1 Like

My biggest request: Let it control whole house humidifier AND automatically adjust the inside humidity based on outside temp! This is a MUST for us who live in the snow region. I shouldn’t have to manually do it every time the temp changes like I have to on my nest. If thats the case, I will pass.

1 Like

I request a smart thermostat similar to the Tado units. One base unit with wifi connectivity. All remote thermostats would run off of RF (915mhz). They can provide local control, temperature and humidity to each room. RF units are lowered power and could run on batteries for a long time.

Thanks for your request! We’ve been investigating how best to handle humidifiers and have a few questions:

1. Do you have a sense how common whole-home humidifiers are?
  2. Just to make sure we understand your request… you want to change your internal humidity set point based on the outside temperature… correct?
  3. What is the main reason you want to change the inside humidity based on external temperature?
  4. What exactly does Nest allow you to do today?

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Just looked at the ecobee and amazon wants 250.00 US for it. HOLY HEATERS BATMAN !!!
Thats just too expensive. Yes the Wyze Geeks need to get their hands into this market. I’m not paying anywhere near that price but I do want to tell alexa to turn temp up or down x number of degrees and create some better schedules or sensored use. I do have a standalone that schedules and ive lately been tweaking them (fall/spring temps and hellish time changes you know #FEATURE REQUEST). theres a few dollars to be made but I DO NOT want to use the one the power company offers becasue I don’t want data going to them so they can increase my bill

@mike.s, You didn’t ask me, but I’ll (partially) answer:

In my neighborhood, whole home humidifiers are pretty much standard. My Carrier system thermostat lets me adjust the relative humidity trigger point for the humidifier on the system. This should be done in relation to the outside air temp (OAT) because when it’s very cold outside (teens and single digits) and you have the relative humidity set point too high, you end up with condensation all over your windows and elsewhere. On the other hand, when it’s a bit warmer outside (but still cold) it is more comfortable to have the relative humidity set higher. Make sense? (I don’t think you folks in the very temperate Seattle area have these problems. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Not sure if this is helpful, but I know that it’s only the more expensive Nest Learning Thermostat which supports whole-home humidifier/dehumidifier systems. I’ve got the Nest Thermostat E, which is $169 compared to $249 for flagship Nest Learning Thermostat.

Design-wise, there are some differences, but feature-wise, the two thermostats are basically identical except for this.

1 Like

to answer this a bit more in nerd fashion. as temperature drops, the moisture in the air condenses and moisture levels fall, this is called moisture capacity. using a humidifier with your heating system in the home, heat wont dissipate as quickly and will feel warmer when in direct contact with skin. so in relation to how cold it is outside the home and its effect on inside. using a personal ratio someone would be able to have automatic adjustments based on that outside temperature making the inside automatically comfortable. there are also a small number of benefits to personal health along with home structure and belonging “health” inside the home. anyone who has ever trying walking on a wood floor or playing a guitar in really dry/ cold air can attest to this effect :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hi WyzeMike,

1. I don’t have any sense of how common they are, but I know that they are very common in the Midwest due to temperature. As it gets into the single digits and negative weather, the air really dries out.

2. Yes, that is 100% correct

3. BAM answered this PERFECTLY. To sum it up: The main reason is as the temperature drops outside, the less moisture is in the air, making everything dry (think static shock, but the cooler and dryer it gets, the more powerful the shock). Now, there are two major impacts. One is the “health” of the home. As it dries out, so does drywall. This can cause damage (cracking, cracks in paint) and overall “stuffy” feeling of a house. It also impact the health of the individual. Dry/scratchy/irritable skin, bloody noses, coughing all is attributed to dry air.

Now, the reason for having the thermostat control the humidifier based out outside air is so that it adjusts the levels of moister based on that factor and what it is in the house. If you have to set it manually and forget to adjust it, it can cause serious damage to the windows and sills due to frost/moister (I have heard of people spending over $6k to get windows replaced due to this and the wood rotting). Then, you run into mold and other factors too.

These are the reasons :slight_smile:

1. The nest today simply turns on and off the humidifier when the heat kicks on. There is a way to adjust it moister content, but its not automatic. This is silly as it pulls indoor humidity and outside temp. This has been a requested addition for over 5+ years and they don’t do anything about it. Which is sad because on their end, its software capabilities. There was a way to do it VIA 3rd party (mynestreports.com), but when Google ended the “Works with Nest” program, the developer shut down the site and switched to ecobee.

Now, as someone mentioned, there are two models of the Nest. I have the expensive, $250 model that allows that. Same with the more expensive ecobee models (3,4, Current). The lite version of the ecobee doesn’t have that feature along with the Nest Thermostat E. This is because on the base itself for the wiring, they don’t have a AUX or * or ACC+ slot for the wire.

If this is something that Wyze can do, I will gladly dump my two Nest’s. If not, I will have to switch to ecobee’s as they have a rudimentary way of controlling humidity. I am holding off on buying new thermostats until I see what you guys come up with.

• Matt
5 Likes