Wyze Thermostat not powering up

You said you have two thermostats to install. Are they both for this furnace? Maybe there is a splice in the wire somewhere?

If there’s no voltage at the thermostat, but there is voltage at the furnace, then there’s a break in the wire somewhere.

Hi adpesich. Yes two wyze thermostats for one furnace. I don’t know if there is a splice in the wire somewhere. How can I find out if there is splice in the wire? So maybe can I use the venstar add-a-wire kit? Would this solve my problem? Thanks!

If the adapter didn’t work, then both your green and blue wires have faults, or your wyze thermostat is actually broken. Just as a test, have you tried hooking the wyze up with a short run of wires directly at the furnace?

Hi speadie,
I think the blue wire has fault because when I put my old thermostat back (battery operated) everything is working perfectly (including the fan which is the G wire). So in this case, is using the venstar add-a-wire kit would be possible? This is my last hope. I also thinking of hooking up my wyze directly at the furnace which is a brilliant idea. Btw, both of my wyze thermostats are not powering up.

Thanks.

I had the same problem. If you take the batteries out of old stat does it power still. Follow the blue line out of control board, continue to follow along the line headibg back towards the stat somewhere between the unit and the stat yo will find either a break in the line or it not being connected. Like speadie said theres no need to complicate things with wire thingy magigs. You already have a common wire. Follow it and you will find a disconnect.

If your system did not work with the included wyze adapter, then none of the other add a wire things will work. They all work the same way. With the wyze adapter, you weren’t using the blue wire, you were using the green wire as common.

I think you may either have a bad connection in one of your other wires, or something else is wrong with your wyze and all your wires (including the blue one) are fine. That’s why I suggested you try the wyze with short wires, right at the furnace- none of the troubleshooting steps are going to work if your wyze will not power on right at the furnace.

Hi speadie,

I bought a thermostat wires and hooked the wyze thermostat right at the furnace and didn’t power up. I called a HVAC professional and he said that my HVAC is a zone system. Now, I got my two Wyze thermostats up and running smoothly. Thank you all guys for your help!

Dory

2 Likes

Im curious just to expand my knowledge. How would it being a zone system affect the stat not powering on/ how did you get it to power on reslove you issue you did not say what the solution was.

Here is my pictures

Hi marlow22,

He apparently ran jumpers (the white wires) from the C terminal for thermostat 1, 2 and then connected them to the blue wire (which I think is supplying power to the HVAC board for some reason), and then is also connected to the heat relay terminal through the resistor. There’s nothing in the installation manual about doing this kind of hookup. This is what the HVAC tech told me. I hope this helps!

If you’ve verified that there is at least 25VAC at the thermostat between C and Rc, then your thermostat should power up. if it doesn’t, it might be faulty. Your wiring looks correct to me.

Yea, I bought a voltmeter at it consistently says 27VAC. Wyze is sending me a new one to try, I hope that works.

1 Like

I’m going to try attaching the blue wire in the morning but seems like my multimeter is broken it just shows a 1 when tested against every power source and I don’t feel like buying a new one. So I can’t verify power at my thermostat. Hoping connecting that blue wire works or the thermostats are going back

1 Like

I did what you guys said I attached the blue wire to the Com and left the red wire also attached to the Com and the Wyze will not power up still. It all sounded promising but doesn’t work and my power tester is broken and I have a baby being born this week so don’t have time to screw with it anymore they are both going back. Waste of time. 0 star review. Put a rechargeable battery in it like a Nest and 90% of peoples problems they are having wouldn’t exist. Not worth the money savings I’m buying Nest.

Red is power RC
C is common

Now you probably have a blown fuse…

I hooked the old thermostat back up, even left the new blue C wire Attached to the Com on the furnace board. zero problems and still works fine with the old unit so no fuse likely blown.

Oh and I had an electrician already over working on stuff with 35 years experience and asked him what the problem would be and he said he would never be Messing with those wires and neither should average people like is that aren’t HVAC experts. I have bought almost every Wyze product out there and most are good, but if you hook everything up as per instructions on this and it doesn’t work then you are better off not risking screwing up your furnace that costs thousands. You can call a professional to hook them up to make sure you don’t screw anything up but at that point you might could also just spend that money on a Nest and it will work because it has a rechargeable battery that recharges itself as the AC and heat run so you don’t need a C wire. I tried this unit at my friends house that has a Nest and he had zero issues hooking up the Nest and it wouldn’t work for him either. The battery in the Nest makes a big difference for ease use for installs.

HVAC technicians hate the nest because the power sipping mode burns out relays. If you don’t feel comfortable with 24VAC, with the power off, then you should definitely hire a HVAC technician to do your work.

The nest has to have a path back to common to power itself, so it uses one of your furnace relays as its path, causing heating and premature failure of the coil because there is not enough current to actually pull the relay in.

The wyze uses a more intelligent model, with a one time requirement of installing either a C wire or a C wire adapter, that eliminates thermostat caused premature failure of your relays.

Also, the nest charges itself when your system is not running. It runs off of battery when your system is running, and has been known to run out of battery during long calls for heat or cooling. If this happens, it goes dead and needs to be reset before it will power itself back up.

Did you take a picture of how you hooked up the furnace wiring and wyze, with the blue C wire hooked up?

I have an unused C wire that I have connected at the thermostat, and I also had to connect it at the furnace. I connected it into the C terminal there, but still have no power. Here is my furnace board, any ideas appreciated!